No Chrysler 300 Wagon For Anyone

No Chrysler 300 Wagon For Anyone

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

October 20, 2011

post-10485-0-24159300-1319146088.png

Those who were wanting a return of the Chrysler 300/Dodge Magnum wagon might have to let those dreams drop. Chrysler-Lancia CEO Saad Chehab told Autocar there will no Chrysler 300 Wagon. The reason is due to “sales in the US for estates are too slow to justify the development costs,” even though the previous 300 wagon was popular.

Source: Autocar

Personally with the explosion of the CUV market, it would at first and even second glance seem a dead market for a true Station wagon and yet I believe the first auto company to produce a v8 powered Station wagon that can pull a boat and especially in AWD form will have a killer sales product. There are many who still have fond memories of our Delta 88 Wagon from the 70's and loved the ability to pull a trailer or boat without having to have a truck or SUV.

I think this is an overlooked segment that one company could make money on.

• Agree 1

I personally loved the Magnum and came close to buying one before I bought the Challenger. I don't much care for sedans, aside from a select few. I do, however, care a great deal about wagons and coupes.

Wagons offer unlimited versatility and, especially in the case of the Magnum, just look damn cool.

I will admit that I see where the Magnum failed. It wasn't because it was a wagon, no. It was because it was first offered as a Intrepid replacement, and that was an idea doomed for failure, hence why ChryCo rushed to introduce the Charger sedan to the market. Add to the fact that it looked too closely related to the Chrysler 300 it was parked next to on dealer lots and the Magnum's fate was definitely sealed from that point. There was quite a bit of potential with the Magnum that was squandered thanks to the dunderheads from Daimler who were running the show at the time.