Cheers or Jeers: A Touch of German Luxury

Cheers or Jeers: 1968 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! A prestige nameplate and utility in a compact package!
    • Jeers! An overpriced and glorified tractor.

Cheers or Jeers: 1968 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404

1968 Mercedes Unimog 404

Was originally a Swiss motor-pool vehicle when in service. Moth-balled in early 1970's. Imported to US in late '80s. Around 42000 kilometers (About 25,ooo miles) 4x4 with locking differentials. 6 speed forward, 2 speed reverse. Circuit breakers, not fuses.

9' electric-hydraulic plow. Monarch 24v pump and controls. Recently tuned up/oil change/carb clean. Everything works (wipers, heater -- very hot, defogger, etc). Needs nothing to be put to work immediately. Current RI registration and insurance. (no titles for vehicles over 10 years old in RI)

2 New fenders from Expedition Imports (not installed). New master cylinder and brake lines (spring ’11). Both gas tanks replaced (spring ’11). I replaced the rear bed with new pressure treated, but haven't bolted them down yet (I was considering sectioning the cab and bed). I have a bunch of 24v switches and relays for lights, along with a 12v converter (which is currently not wired)

Currently, the canvas is on the truck cargo bed.

Everything is still 24v, and everything works. I had a 4' storage box installed to house the batteries and plow pump (the original battery box and drivers storage box were rusty), but I do have the original storage box.

• Hard top (aluminum? -- made by previous owner)
  • Hard windows with sliders
  • Original window frames (new plastic --January 2010)
  • Have original canvas tops -- Front and Rear -- troop carrier and bows, and cab top
    • (cab needs re-stitching on seam)

[*]Civilian Pertronix ignition upgrade to cap, plugs, wires

[*]Yellow fog lights (24v from expedition imports)

[*](5) "airplane" style switches wired with relays for fog/plow/backup/cargo lights

[*]Pintle hitch (additional 2" receiver)

[*](2) new interstate commercial batteries (March 2010)

[*]New tail lights came from mid 70's? mog (have originals )

[*]New ignition switch (2/09)

[*]New master cylinder and brake lines (from expedition imports – spring 2011), new muffler

[*]All lights/gauges/switches work

[*]Have the troop seats for 1 side

[*]Tires all excellent, Full size spare

[*]All original tire chains

[*]All original Canvases (for cab and rear cargo-bed)

[*]4' under-bed storage box houses the batteries and plow pump

[*]2 new (and installed) fuel tanks - both undercoated

[*]Wheel chock

[*]5 gallon fuel can (in mount under right rear corner of bed)

[*]1 rear fold-down troop seat -- (Seats 5)

[*]Original storage boxes (driver and passenger sides – not installed

Headlight upgrade -- change to h4 style bulb 24v

• (2) -- 5 point harness racing seats. . . not installed
  • Have extra bulbs and "housings" for all gauges
  • Service manual
  • 24v to 12v converter- installed but not wired
  • Original lube chart/service plan plaque
  • Plans, pump, piston and reservoir for power steering (not installed) – need the “orbital” valve to complete the parts list for the install

- Forgot to list the "load handler" used to slide cargo out of the back of the truck. uses a tarp and a hand crank... place the cargo on the tarp, turn the crank, and it dumps it out of the bed. I've used it for leaves, and wood... works much better than unloading by hand.

Truck is in excellent condition, needs almost nothing. I have tons of extras (like the canvas for the bed, extra parts, bulbs, etc).

$(KGrHqUOKkEE6UTU5Ts+BOnD35cENw~~60_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKpoE6WtzOGFfBOnD4LPnhQ~~60_4.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKjsE6QcBRNy(BOnD44G5EQ~~60_4.JPG

$(KGrHqQOKiwE6Z-NvjgHBOnD5BVcpg~~60_4.JPG

• Agree 1

mercedees should dust off the sheet metal dies from this and re-pop them. Shiny paint, alloy wheels, a radio, $175K price tag and viola, the next gen G-wagon!

No way, this would be a class above the G-Wagon. Call it the U-Class.

• Agree 2