Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

All GM Small SUVs Now Carry 5-Star/5-Star Crash Ra

Guest Josh

Chevy HHR Receives 5-Star Front and Side impact Safety Ratings
Posted Image

DETROIT - The 2006 Chevrolet HHR small utility vehicle earned best-in-class, "five star" crash safety ratings in the latest federal New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) frontal and side-impact crash tests.

NCAP results are conveyed via a star rating system - from one to five stars, with five being the highest.

All of GM's small SUVs now register a 5-star/5-star safety performance in the tests administered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The HHR joins the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox, Saturn VUE and Pontiac Torrent in being awarded five-star ratings in both frontal and side impact tests.

Chevrolet's latest entry in the SUV market, the all-new 2006 HHR, is an expressively styled, high-function compact. With a base price starting at $15,890 including destination charges, HHR's safety story begins with its strong body structure.

"An extraordinary amount of attention was given to HHR's rigid space frame design," said Vehicle Line Director Deb Lund. "For example, we developed an ultra-high-strength steel cross-car beam under the front seat. We used the same material for the liners of the reinforced rocker sections, a segment-exclusive application for these panels and a rarity in passenger vehicles."

HHR's standard safety features include dual-stage driver and front- passenger airbags that respond based on crash severity; a weight-sensing airbag suppression system that automatically turns off the front passenger airbag when the seat is occupied by a child or small adult, and lap-shoulder belts at all seating positions including the rear center.

Safety and security in the HHR can be enhanced with an available 4-wheel Antilock Brake System (ABS) and integrated full-time traction control, roof rail side-curtain airbags to protect both front and rear outboard occupants, and OnStar which includes Advanced Automatic Crash Notification that can alert emergency service providers in a moderate to severe crash -- even when no air bags deploy.

Information regarding NHTSA's findings is available at www.safercar.gov. More information on the complete family of all Chevrolet products including Aveo and HHR is available at www.chevrolet.com.

The HHR, introduced in July 2005, has contributed to an increase in Chevrolet's share of the small utility segment, from 3.1 percent in 2005 to 12.4 percent in the first two months of the year compared with January-February 2005.

Chevrolet is America's No. 1-selling automotive brand. With the largest dealer network in the United States, Chevy is the leader in full-size trucks and the leader in sales of vehicles priced $35,000 and above. In addition, Chevrolet delivers more-than-expected value in every vehicle category, offering cars and trucks priced from $9,995 to $72,235. Chevy delivers expressive design, spirited performance and great value with standard features usually found only on more expensive vehicles.

General Motors (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, designs, builds and markets cars and trucks worldwide, and has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

###

Its good to see the HHR getting good press like this, now if the marketing bozos can get some paperwork out stating this to the dealer network, then there might be more on the road. I know I would buy one if I didn't need a full-size pick up right now, and if I can convince the wifey out of a Dodge Magnum as her next purchase, we'll probably get the HHR for her.

That's cool, but the nox torrent and vue are the same thing....

The Equinox and Torrent are the same, but the Vue is quite different. Different plant, very different body construction, etc. Platform sharing does not equal rebadge.

Mark

The Equinox and Torrent are the same, but the Vue is quite different.  Different plant, very different body construction, etc. Platform sharing does not equal rebadge.

Mark

They may be built at different plants, but the fact remains that the underbody structure is incredibly stable. Just because the metal that goes over the platform is different doesn't mean that a car will do incredibly different. The cobalt has 5 star frontal and 4 star side impact, the HHR took 5 stars on both because they added support in the B-column under the drivers seat and in the top. I was reading all about it on the HHR forums.

I would expect the G5 to get 5 & 4 stars since its' the same car... It's all about the underbody structure.

Oh by the way did anyone notice that the 2007 Tahoe was rated 5 star for frontal crash worthiness, and they are gonna be posting the rollover results soon!

All small SUV's? There's only one real one! Equinox/Torrent are mid-size SUV's, and the HHR isn't even a real SUV!

Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

:( You know what? I want an HHR. My wife WANTS an HHR. I have been begging and looking for ANY information as to the crash rating of the little truck/car...and until now, could not find it. GM needs to market this truck properly. I know that independent testing JUST occured, but come on - did GM NOT test this thing before someone else did? Shouldn't they push to get it tested so they can used this information to SELL units? People nowadays, I think, really look at the safety aspects of cars before making a purchase. I know that I do.

So, with all of that rambling said: Kudos to GM for designing a small car with safety and a great design! My wife and I will be test driving one this weekend. :)