ZL1 to top more powerful Shelby in times

hyperv6

Well since no one else has said anything I thought I might post this so we are not the only GM site without a thread on the ZL1 performance.

This week the cover has been pulled off the road test of the Zl1. It was tested vs the 302 Boss that the media has fallen in love with for it's track performance and the Camaro beat The HP helped a little but the new suspension has taught the fat lady to really dance.

In the mean tme Al Oppenheiser says that he feels the ZL1 will remain faster than the coming Shelby. I know Al and he is one a real car guy and two he is not a BS er. They have done computer sims on both cars and they feel the Shelby will not be able to use all the power it will have.

The new suspension is the latest of the Magnaride. It has 4 magnets vs two for faster changes and reaction times. They also have a way to remove the magnetic charge from the fluid to change rated faster too. This has added up to a car that someone can drive stupid fast and not have to be a pro driver to see some very good time.

Autoweek also has a story with a rookie female 18 year old KNN NASCAR Series driver. She took the car out on a track she did not know and came with in 4% of the lead GM test driver that pro road racer Randy Pobst could not even match.

I think this car will be very impressive once it arrives and with all these tools being added to this car it could mean so much more when they are added to the lighter Alpha Camaro. I think we need to really pay attention to the ATS road test and think more power and a little more suspension tuning.

They also commented how well the Camaro rode and drove on the street. The Camaro's suspension was able to adjust on it's own and gave the best road and track in a fraction of a second where the Boss has to be stopped and trim panels removed to set the car to one of 5 settings.

Ford is now working with Bilstein on a electonic suspension for the Shelby, they will have to play catch up as GM has a great lead on this new technology.

With out this tuning it will be difficult for the more powerful Shelby to put the power down. Power is good if you can use it and right now it is looking like they may not be able to use all of it all the time.

This is going to be fun to watch.

Note if you missed it the Camaro at the Green Hell turned a 7:41 lap. It should give you an idea how well this car is tuned.

Edited by hyperv6

7:48, that's faster than the first Z-R1 Lap time!

No they have the ZR1 down to something like 7:19.63.

The CTSV 7:57

The Z06 with the full Carbon package is 7:20.66

Camaro SS did an 8:20

Note the ZL1 7:41.27 was stock trim on stock OE tires. Full cage, fire system and 30 pounds of test equipment. The driver was Aaron Link GM driver and engineer.

Just to put it in perspective the 911S is 7:41.23 and the Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera (7:40.76)

GM should be given credit to make the technology to really take a heavy car and turn it into a real Super Car. I think the age of the Muscle and Pony car has finally passed on as this car is proving to be stepping into a area only the elite cars tread and at a price less than the ZR1. This should mean we should really expect even more from the improved Vette and future Alpha Camaro.

this is really funny even though i think the Zl-1 will be faster

Note the ZL1 7:41.27 was stock trim on stock OE tires. Full cage, fire system and 30 pounds of test equipment. The driver was Aaron Link GM driver and engineer.

Just to put it in perspective the 911S is 7:41.23 and the Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera (7:40.76)

GM should be given credit to make the technology to really take a heavy car and turn it into a real Super Car. I think the age of the Muscle and Pony car has finally passed on as this car is proving to be stepping into a area only the elite cars tread and at a price less than the ZR1. This should mean we should really expect even more from the improved Vette and future Alpha Camaro.

that's why i said first time by the ZR1, Edited by CanadianBacon94

Hyper

" I think the age of the Muscle and Pony car has finally passed on as this car is proving to be stepping into a area only the elite cars tread and at a price less than the ZR1."

I'm inclined to agree and wouldn'y GM be wise to court the kids now with an alpha coupe with large HP I4 & I3's? Think big & small block pony cars of the past w/o so much of the tech not a stripper car just no magna ride ect...

Hyper

" I think the age of the Muscle and Pony car has finally passed on as this car is proving to be stepping into a area only the elite cars tread and at a price less than the ZR1."

I'm inclined to agree and wouldn'y GM be wise to court the kids now with an alpha coupe with large HP I4 & I3's? Think big & small block pony cars of the past w/o so much of the tech not a stripper car just no magna ride ect...

Several problems are one the maket has changed. Kids today thrive on the hottest I phone and Video game. They love tech for techs sake. Second the same old thing of how to afford a new car and then afford the insurance.

I wanted a new TA back in 1985 but with my age even with a good driving record a performance car of any kind was out accept for of all thing a Fiero. LOL! I had to go with it back then, I see things today are not much better as kids with WRX cars are paying out the @ss for insurance.

I would love to see a sporty I4 coupe that could be had for around $18K and a better engine sold ala cart. This way they could choose what they want. For the most kids today are out of the Camaro market and are turning to small FWD coupes and sedans and put the money in wheels and audio.

Chevy has noted this with the Sonic as they will keep the power down for the RS and they are looking to offer a sound package in it. It is patterned after the Sonic Boom show car.

If kids want better they will have to make due like I did and buy old performance cars and build them up. The Muscle cars were cheap when I was that age and we did a lot too them. In fact I made money on each one I had.

I see the Turbo 2.0 as being the go to engine for many of the young buyers who can afford it but that is the key afford it. They may have to make due with a used Cobalt SS.

this is really funny even though i think the Zl-1 will be faster

that's why i said first time by the ZR1,

Just about anything is faster than the first.