Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Chrysler News: Rumorpile: SRT Barracuda, And Two Models Under Consideration

6 posts in this topic

William Maley    410

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

July 3, 2012

Chrysler’s SRT group has been on a bit of roll as late. Their lineup, which includes the Chrysler 300 SRT8, Dodge Challenger SRT8, Dodge Charger SRT8, and Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 has been praised widely. But, all of those models mentioned come from other divisions in Chrysler. That appears to be changing with the new SRT Viper due out later this year, and SRT is hungry for more models of their own.

Motor Trend reports that SRT could be getting two more models in the coming years. The first model is one that we have been hearing about for awhile; the Barracuda. The replacement to the current Dodge Challenger, the Barracuda will use a smaller version of the full-size LY platform (Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger) codenamed LA. The Barracuda is due out sometime in 2015.

The second model could be one of two possibilities. Possibility one is a successor to the Dodge Ram SRT10. Whether it follows the same ideals as the past Ram SRT10 or goes down the Ford F-150 Raptor route, we’re not sure of. Possibility two is a small, two-seat sports car that could compete with the Mazda Miata.

Source: Motor Trend

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

ocnblu    776

Barracuda sounds fantastic, bring it on!

Small 2-seat roadster sounds awesome as well. Didn't we see a small Dodge roadster concept car a few years ago?

Ram SRT... hmmm, what should it be on the next go-round... :scratchchin:

Intrepidation    848

What really has my interest is the rumored "LA" platform. A smaller version of LY that could possibly spawn other variants below the LY cars.

Ram SRT... hmmm, what should it be on the next go-round... :scratchchin:

My vote is for the Raptor Competitor. Seems to make more sense to steal some of Ford's market share, and we've seen creations recently that show it can be done. GM could jump in with their own variant then too.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

I hope,it's a about the size of the Genesis Coupe with a little more rear seat and head room for 2 adults

dfelt    1,874

Love me some Barracudaaaaaaaaa! :P

Also I agree that Dodge and GM need to go the Raptor route as there is plenty of market left as not everyone will want a Ford.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      If there is one thing that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is consistent on, it is their ability to change their future plans on a whim and cause us to scratch our heads. Case in point, Automotive News has learned that FCA has ditched plans on moving the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger/Challenger to the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Instead, all of the models will get will one more refresh in 2019 that will cut weight and boost fuel economy. There is also talk about the 300 getting the option of the Hellcat V8 because FCA thinks we don't have enough vehicles with it?!
      In 2021, the Charger and Challenger will be (finally) redesigned. They'll be based on the platform the underpins the Maserati Ghibli. There is no mention about the 300 moving to this platform, possibly hinting that the 300 will be shown the door - something we reported on back in November.
      Will there be any Chrysler or Dodge model that will use the Giorgio platform? Yes and that will be the next-generation Journey that is possibly arriving in 2019.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), 2

View full article
    • By William Maley
      If there is one thing that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is consistent on, it is their ability to change their future plans on a whim and cause us to scratch our heads. Case in point, Automotive News has learned that FCA has ditched plans on moving the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger/Challenger to the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Instead, all of the models will get will one more refresh in 2019 that will cut weight and boost fuel economy. There is also talk about the 300 getting the option of the Hellcat V8 because FCA thinks we don't have enough vehicles with it?!
      In 2021, the Charger and Challenger will be (finally) redesigned. They'll be based on the platform the underpins the Maserati Ghibli. There is no mention about the 300 moving to this platform, possibly hinting that the 300 will be shown the door - something we reported on back in November.
      Will there be any Chrysler or Dodge model that will use the Giorgio platform? Yes and that will be the next-generation Journey that is possibly arriving in 2019.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), 2

• By William Maley
      The next-generation Jeep Wrangler will see the return of a pickup body style. According to a new report, the truck will be wearing an iconic name, Scrambler.
      Jeep Scrambler Forum (sister site to JL Wrangler Forums) has learned from sources that Jeep has picked the name last seen on the CJ-8 from the 1980's. They also obtained some CAD files showing an alleged frame and axles for the Scrambler. The drawing shows the Scrambler and Wrangler Unlimted frames. Compared to the Unlimted, the Scrambler looks quite different with a different arrangement of bars and bracing towards the back. It is also longer, about 33 inches according to the forum.
      As for engines, the Scrambler will have the 3.0L turbodiesel V6 with start-stop according to a dealer system computer. The turbo 2.0L and 3.6L V6 aren't listed, but this is most likely due to FCA building out their system.
      One interesting tidbit is the Scrambler will have a removable top. The dealer system reveals there will be two hardtop and a softtop.
      Source: Jeep Scrambler Forum

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The next-generation Jeep Wrangler will see the return of a pickup body style. According to a new report, the truck will be wearing an iconic name, Scrambler.
      Jeep Scrambler Forum (sister site to JL Wrangler Forums) has learned from sources that Jeep has picked the name last seen on the CJ-8 from the 1980's. They also obtained some CAD files showing an alleged frame and axles for the Scrambler. The drawing shows the Scrambler and Wrangler Unlimted frames. Compared to the Unlimted, the Scrambler looks quite different with a different arrangement of bars and bracing towards the back. It is also longer, about 33 inches according to the forum.
      As for engines, the Scrambler will have the 3.0L turbodiesel V6 with start-stop according to a dealer system computer. The turbo 2.0L and 3.6L V6 aren't listed, but this is most likely due to FCA building out their system.
      One interesting tidbit is the Scrambler will have a removable top. The dealer system reveals there will be two hardtop and a softtop.
      Source: Jeep Scrambler Forum
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has shown three different I.D. concepts - I.D. hatchback, I.D. Buzz, and the I.D. Crozz. We know that Volkswagen is working on making the hatchback production ready by 2020 and the Buzz has been given the green light. What about the Crozz? According to a report from Autoblog, the Crozz will follow the hatchback in production - arriving in either late 2020 or 2021 - and will be the first I.D. model to arrive on our shores.
      The I.D. Crozz which made its debut earlier this year at the Shanghai Motor Show is Volkswagen's vision of an electric crossover. Using Volkswagen's MEB platform, the I.D. Crozz produces 302 horsepower from two electric motors. On-demand all-wheel drive is done through single-speed, fixed-ratio gearboxes fitted between each electric motor and its respective axle.
      Volkswagen's decision on sending the I.D. Crozz to the U.S. first makes a lot of sense as buyers are crossover hungry.
      The two sources also dropped some information on the I.D. Buzz which conflicts with earlier reports. First, the sources said the Buzz been confirmed for production - the opposite of what reported back in June where Volkswagen's Herbert Diess slyly dropped that it would go into production. If approved, the model would likely go into production in 2025.
      We recommend checking out Autoblog's report as there are more details on what to possibly expect with the Crozz.
      Source: Autoblog

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)