New Impala Impresses MT non Eco Malibu and Spark also covered

Just caught a advanced story on the MT first drive. They were impressed even after a shorten run.

They liked the styling and vs the Taurus they said it was more quiet, rode better and handled better. Note this was compared to the non SHO model.

They noted the car did not feel as tight as it should but it was a hand built preproduction car and they said that is normal and was taken in consideration.

They even compared the Taurus as being more Crossover like with its tall roof.

They noted that the LTZ is loaded and is much like the Lacrosse in quality of interior. It will also be just over $40,000. The LT model has had a lot of work put into it and it will be very impressive even as a lower level model at a lower price. It should be priced in the Ford SE range.

It was pointed out that the Impala will sell in lower numbers but will give Chevy a better return per unit.

They like how the Impala will be for comfort and the Supersport will be used to fight the SHO. The one question they did have is which one will be the Flagship for Chevy.

They also said this will help the Malibu much buy not having to compete with the old Impala anylonger are large discounts.

Note too they has a small piece on the coming non Eco Malibu.

They like the new 2.5 and expect the 2.0 Turbo to do well. The new engine is 40% quieter and it shows. The new Malibu will be the most quiet in class. The interior quality is is called a overlap of Buick plushness and quality. There was some chome that they claimed stood out for the wrong reasons but other wise they liked it.

No comments on rear leg room but they seem to like the car and have no great issues other than the chrome.

Another first drive on the Spark also stated if you want a small car pass on the Smart and IQ and go to the FIat 500 or Spark. The Spark is not for everyone but it was as good in class as you will find.

They left the styling subjective but other wise they had good things to say.

When might we see this in writing?

I am really looking forward to driving the new Impala. I have been mostly leaning towards a Verano for the last little while because I assumed that the Impala LT would price in comparison with the Taurus SEL which goes for 34-37k here, obviously given the choice between a Verano (or any small car for that matter) and this, the choice is pretty clear to me. If it prices more in line with the SE Taurus then that might make the difference for me. If the packaging for trim levels matches the new Malibu, the LT model should have just about everything that you really want standard. myLink is a must for me on top of that and depending on the real-world performance from the 2.5L, maybe I would have to tick the V6 option box too. I can only assume that they will offer the V6 option on the LT, it would be a sin not to.

Can't wait to see the first drives coming in and get to drive one in person. I don't think the Impala has had this kind of swagger in a long time! Part of the hangup for me that was pushing me towards small cars is that they haven't really been making big stylish full-size american cars that don't compromise on their core values in some way (like the LaCrosse with its tiny trunk).

What's the point of the LaCrosse, then? And, once one questions the point of the LaCrosse at its current price point, one starts wondering about what the point of the XTS is as well...

Edited by ZL-1

What's the point of the LaCrosse, then? And, once one questions the point of the LaCrosse at its current price point, one starts wondering about what the point of the XTS is as well...

I think we will be seeing changes soon to the Lacrosse in platform and price. It has to move up along with the other Buick too. I see the next Regal seeing changes too since the Malibu has caught up.

This is just part of where GM just does not say much on future products anymore.

Edited by hyperv6