Dashboard trivia--two versions of the same model w/ different dashes in the same year

Similar to my other thread about different models in the same family, there are some examples of two different dash designs being used in the same model in the same year, either because of trim level or bodystyle. I've got one particular example in mind, but I'm sure there are others.

Hint: '70s

Lots of these.

One example would be the 70-72 Chevelle. The base car and Malibu used a rectangular cluster with a long sweep-style speedometer and no gauges - just idiot lights. The SS models had a an available dash cluster with circular gauge openings for all dash instruments.

The examples I'm thinking of the whole dash is different, not just the instrument cluster. Like the '73 Grand Am vs '73 Le Mans, but within the same model.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Maybe the Chevy Monza hatchback & notchback? I can't remember what the dash looked like in either of these, but I remember the notchback looking a whole lot like a spruced up Vega from the outside... :)

Bingo...it's the Monza 2+2 and wagon I was thinking of..the wagon had a dash that looked pretty much the same as the Vega. Also, the 1978-only Monza S hatchback which was a Vega w/ a Monza nose. I'm sure there are others, but the Monza came to mind.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Wow, don't know how I came up with that. I'm seriously slow most of the time--just ask my coworkers. I can't even remember what we talked about in a meeting earlier today. :(

LoL... I have also sorts of weird automotive trivia stuck in my head.. too many years of reading car magazines, surfing car websites, building models I guess....

Yeah, same here. The highlight of my life used to be heading over to the car dealers with my dad & brother to see the new models in the fall. On rare occasions, we'd come home with a new car. We went to look at the original Mustang when it came out. My brother and I begged the old man to get one, but we wound up with a '64 Galaxie convertible instead. Not a bad consolation prize, eh?