Best GM design by decade...your award winners please....

So as I was driving home tonight, I saw a survivor 69 Camaro...funky green, no cowl hood or big tires, slightly faded owm vynal top, hub caps, etc....and then I realized that Chevrolet didn't even have the best styling and design of the 60's Pontiac did IMHO. And in each decade, one winner clearly stands out....my verdict...

Teens....Chevrolet....I love how they were able to make such simple design work so well...

20's...chevrolet again...

30's..buick...nice understated, clean design....Cadilla\c hyad some fantastic stuff, but overall buick...

40's...Oldsmobile....49 OIds 88 is one of my all tiem fav GM cars, and Olds design languagfe of the era was to me uniquely confident and extroverted in a conservative era of car design...

50's...Ponitac...

60's...who else...the wide track people win it again...

70's...without a doubt, Olds once again. I love how the design language translated sop well throughout the car line, and the collonade (73-77) cutty's are amazing and under appreciated cars. Not to mention the clean lines of the 70's 98's, which were also under appreciated cars...and the fantastic 70-72 cutty's...

1980's...flame me at will, but without a doubt, Olds wins it again...the cleaned up lines of the 77 (full size and 78 (mid size) cars were great for the era, and were I back in the 80's looking to buy a njhew family cruiser from GM, Olds would get the nod...

1990's...flame me again for the choice but...GMC trucks. GM trucks of the era really IMHO stood head and shoulders above the Fords and Dodges, with GMC providing a little bit extra...and I really like the trucks of the era better than the passenger car lineup so...GMC....

2000-2010-GMC wins it again, IMHO....

2011-present-Cadillac...esp with the new ATS...

Your choices, by decade, please gentlemen....

For me, my selections would be:

'10s: Buick

'20s: Chevrolet

'30s: Pontiac

'40s: Tie: GMC (early part), Cadillac

'50s: Tie: GMC (mid-to-late), Oldsmobile (early to mid part)

'60s: Pontiac

'70s: Tie: Pontiac, GMC/Chevrolet Trucks

'80s: Tie: Pontiac, GMC

'90s: Tie: Pontiac, GMC

'00s: Tie: Oldsmobile (early part), Saturn (later part)

'10s: GMC

Edited by GMTruckGuy74
  • Agree 1

Hmmm

'40s: '49 Olds 88 or '49 Cadillacs

'50s: Olds ('57 88 in particular)

'60s: each division had it's high points, IMO... Chevy ('63-67 Corvette), Pontiac (Grand Prix, GTO, Bonneville of various years), Buick ('63-65 Riv, '66-67 Riv), Cadillac ('67-69 Eldorado), Olds (Toronado)

'70s:'71-72 Grand Prix, '71-72 Riviera would be high points for me, '70-73 Firebirds

80s:'79-85 E-bodies, '80-85 Seville, the '81-87 G coupes

'90s: '92-97 Seville/STS, '98-99 Seville STS, Aurora, '96-99 Riv

'00s:'08+ Caddy CTS

'10s: Camaro, Cadillac ATS & CTS

• Agree 1

20s through the 40s: Cadillac (all that custom coachwork, V12, and V16 enigines)

50s: Chevrolet (Nomad)

60s Tie Chevy and Pontiac (too many to list) Honorable mention to Buick for the Riviera

70s Tie Chevy and Pontiac (too many to list) Honorable mention to Olds for the Cutlass/442, and to Buick for the Boattail Riviera

80s Very narrow win for Buick (Grand National, T-type, and GNX) Chevy, Olds and Pontiac all had designs almost as well realized in certain models.

90s GMC Truck ( Yukon GT)

2000s Pontiac (Solstice, GTO, G8)

10s Chevy (Corvette, Camaro, Avalanche)

• Agree 1

1932 Chevrolet Confederate (especially the 5-window coupe)

1948 Oldsmobile 98

1953 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday

1965 Buick Riviera

1971 Buick Riviera

1988 Oldsmobile Ciera Wagon (tough decade to choose a good car)

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue

2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx ( :) )

2011 Chevrolet Malibu