Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Opel/Vauxhall News: Rumorpile: More On The Adam OPC/VXR, Plus A Cabriolet

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

January 16, 2013

Back in November, we reported that Opel was considering doing a high-performance OPC version of the new Adam. The Adam OPC was rumored to use a 1.4L turbocharged-four producing 180 HP and have a six-speed manual, and some other tweaks.

This past week, Auto Express learned from a source that the rumored Adam OPC/VXR would use the 1.6L turbocharged-four from the Corsa VXR Nurburgring edition producing 202 horsepower. A production model is expected possibly in 2014.

Auto Express is also reporting that Opel and Vauxhall are considering doing a Adam cabriolet. Unlike the Fiat 500C which uses a folding fabric top, the Adam cabriolet would use a pop-out removable roof panel. The panel would be designed to to slot into the same place as the current panoramic glass roof, thus keeping the costs down and retaining the structural rigidity.

Source: Auto Express

Related Story:

Opel Says Goodbye To Adam EV Plans, Says Hello To OPC Plans?

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

I am very excited by this car, I hope GM considers this for the US. It would be great as a Chevy, Buick or Cadillac as long as it is made to fit in the family. The wife would love a little run about like this for her college career.

I think this is a cool little car, but I have to disagree...I don't think Buick should have this car...they do need the Astra hatches, Cascada, and a wagon would be nice too. They also should probably have something between the Enclave and Encore but then we get into the same problem GM always has had...but I'm straying off topic

I just don't know if Buick is really ready to sell this yet, or if consumers are ready for a luxed up 500 competitor...the Verano has been a great success, but this might be pushing it a little too far right now...

Pontiac if you take that approach then you will have some asian or other brand slip into the spot first and capture the sales.

This car can be a great luxury competitor to the Mini and if done properly, it could be a cadillac or Buick or both.

If Benz and BMW can sell premium micro sub-compacts in the US (and they are coming) then Buick can certainly try... especially with something as good as the Adam as the base.

Spark is a primer. I think GM has its minds set on smaller premium vehicle.

I am all for that as long as GM still continues with the Escalade/Suburban size SUV's which is the only thing I fit into comfortably.

Pontiac if you take that approach then you will have some asian or other brand slip into the spot first and capture the sales.

This car can be a great luxury competitor to the Mini and if done properly, it could be a cadillac or Buick or both.

I agree with you to a point...I know a lot of people thought the Verano and Encore were big risks for Buick even though I think they are both pretty awesome, and according to Encore orders and sales of the Verano thus far so do a lot of dealers/consumers, I just can't quite see this one...but, at least 80% of the investment is already there, so it's probably worth a shot...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Last night, a member of the Corvette Forum posted CAD images of what is purported to be the mid-engine Corvette. Those images would disappear later in the night, but not before someone saved them and uploaded them to imgur. 
      Judging by the quality of images, we're guessing someone used their smartphone to take pictures of a computer screen. The images show off the engine and what looks like to be the sub structure. One of the members on the site, firebirdfan has an excellent breakdown of the images. Here are some of the more interesting details.
      No more transverse leaf spring, replaced by coils. Fancy shocks (can't really tell if they are magnetorheological or spool-valve) Engine appears to be an LT1 (no forced induction) A beefy transaxle (firebirdfan believes it could be for the automatic) The question arises of whether these images are the real deal or not. We're somewhat doubtful they could be fake considering how much effort would need to put in to create drawings like this. But they could be an old design and Corvette engineers made some changes for the production model.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Corvette Forum, 2
      Image Credit: ZERV on Corvette Fourm via etbaumga on imgur

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last night, a member of the Corvette Forum posted CAD images of what is purported to be the mid-engine Corvette. Those images would disappear later in the night, but not before someone saved them and uploaded them to imgur. 
      Judging by the quality of images, we're guessing someone used their smartphone to take pictures of a computer screen. The images show off the engine and what looks like to be the sub structure. One of the members on the site, firebirdfan has an excellent breakdown of the images. Here are some of the more interesting details.
      No more transverse leaf spring, replaced by coils. Fancy shocks (can't really tell if they are magnetorheological or spool-valve) Engine appears to be an LT1 (no forced induction) A beefy transaxle (firebirdfan believes it could be for the automatic) The question arises of whether these images are the real deal or not. We're somewhat doubtful they could be fake considering how much effort would need to put in to create drawings like this. But they could be an old design and Corvette engineers made some changes for the production model.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Corvette Forum, 2
      Image Credit: ZERV on Corvette Fourm via etbaumga on imgur
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Automotive News says that Ford is planning to end North American production of the Fusion sedan at the end of this decades. According to sources, the automaker has begun to notify suppliers that it will not produce the next-generation Fusion at their Hermosillo, Mexico plant. Suppliers have also been told that Ford will stop producing the Mondeo (Fusion in other markets) at their Valencia, Spain plant.
      This is further complicated by a report from Reuters saying the company is consolidating production to a plant in China. Ford has since denied this report.
      “We have no plans to export the next-generation Fusion/Mondeo from China to North America and Europe. Fusion/Mondeo are an important part of the Ford car lineup. We will have more information to share about the next Fusion/Mondeo at a later date,” the company said in a statement.
      A spokesman declined to comment when asked if Ford would stop selling Fusion in the U.S., replace it with another vehicle, or build it elsewhere.
      Previously, Ford executives have said that the shift from cars to crossovers/SUVs will be permanent. Back in October, the company announced that it would be cutting back on the number of car nameplate it offers, but wouldn't go into details. Ford has already ended production of the C-Max Energi and plans on ending the C-Max Hybrid sometime next year. The Fiesta and Taurus are reportedly on the chopping block as well.
      What does the future hold for the Fusion? At the moment, it is tough to say.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook