My dealer promo models & display cases

"Do you see what I see?" __ One Republic __ 'Stop & Stare'

The recent warmer temps & sunshine, along with seeing many older vehicles out'n'about while I'm driving my "winter" 1979 Caprice Classic, have me itchin' to drive my "summer" 1989 Caprice Classic, for which I need energy to detail it. I'll probably re-instate complete insurance on it soon. With no job prospects or disability (recently received a rejection letter, but will appeal), I'll probably leave my '79 & '81 MCs in storage this season, in an attempt to try to keep them. MEANTIME, I've been "playing around" with some of my scale model cars....

Last year, I bought 2 large display cases to showcase more of my collection. When I put cars in them, however, I was disappointed at the "wasted space" created by the rather tall top/cover. It didn't bother me enough to do anything about it, though, at the time. BUT ... with the recent addition of dealer promo models & the desire to display a few more of my small scale cars, the "wasted space" became a bit of an aggravator. So, using plexiglass that Dad & Mom had, a family friend cut 2 pieces to add a "layer" to each case. Trying to figure out how to support the new level, I happened to walk past a can of Tinker Toys ... & bam, found my "posts"! I secured the Tinker Toys to the plexiglass & the bottom of the case with tape. While the Tinker Toys take up a bit too much space (to my liking) on the lower level, it's better to virtually double my "display space" instead of buying a 3rd case ... for now.

My dealer models all together!

PromoModelsDealer_2013.jpg

BACK ROW, L-R:

1992 Ford F-150

1966 Buick Riviera

1977 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1980 Monza

1978 MC

1979 MC (already had)

1980 MC (already had)

1975 Dodge Monaco/Road Runner

FRONT ROW, L-R:

1979 El Camino

1975 Caprice Classic

Newly 2-tiered Display Case (showcasing some of my multiple makes)

ModelCars_DisplayCase_AddShelf_Multiple.

TOP TIER

1992 Ford F-150 dealer promo

1975 Dodge Monaco/Road Runner dealer promo

newer Ford Mustang (bed of dealer promo pickup)

old Ford police car (to the left of & behind the pickup)

Ford Maverick

camper (w/United States map on it)

Ford Thunderbird

4 Dodge Chargers (including the 1999 concept)

VW

Dodge police car

BOTTOM TIER

1977 Cadillac Coupe DeVille dealer promo

1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass dealer promo

1966 Buick Riviera dealer promo

Oldmobile Delta 88

Cadillac sedan

Buick Regal sedan

Pontiac Firebird

+ 2 cars not seen in photo, an early 1970s Oldsmobile Cutlass on the left & a 2005ish Pontiac GTO on the right

Newly 2-tiered Display Case (part of my new "Monte Carlo" family)

ModelCars_DisplayCase_AddShelf_MCs.jpg

TOP TIER

1st gens ... 1 Hot Wheels 1970 MC & 1 each of the Johnny Lighting 1970, 1971 & 1972 MCs

2nd gens ... 1977 model kit & several "Stocker" Hot Wheels model variations

1999 concept for the 2000-7 versions

MC nameplate

various MC emblems

Union 76 ball (commemorating "my" '76 MC my parents owned)

BOTTOM TIER

3rd gens ... 1978, 1979 & 1980 MC dealer promos

4th gens ... notchback #3 Wrangler NASCAR & Hot Wheels stock SS on the left, a variation of the stock SS in front, & Aerocoupe #3 Wrangler NASCAR & Johnny Lightning stock Aerocoupe on the right

card for the 4th gen MC Sport Coupe model

MC "money"

dash plaque from a MC Nationals

Display Shelves, wall, ROUGH draft!

ModelCars_DisplayShelves_WallMounted_ROU

These 2 shelves are part of a wall-hanging shelving unit.

TOP SHELF

More of my MC collection

BOTTOM SHELF

All sorts of makes & models

Display Case, wall-mounted, ROUGH draft!

ModelCars_DisplayCase_WallMounted_ROUGH.

6th TOP SHELF, L-R

Chevettes

Citation

Corvette

Corvair

Bel Airs

5th SHELF

Impalas

4th SHELF, L-R

Camaros

Corvettes

Caprice Classics (1975 promo model & smaller 1979 sedan)

3rd SHELF, L-R

Blazers

Suburbans

El Caminos (including 1979 dealer promo)

pick-ups

2nd SHELF

More MCs!

1st SHELF, L-R

El Caminos

1980 Monza dealer promo

Malibus

Impalas

Camaro

Corvette

Chevelles

Display Shelf, dresser, ROUGH draft!

ModelCars_DisplayShelf_dresser_ROUGH.jpg

Slightly re-configured this, too, which showcases more of my MCs!

Here is how my wall-mounted Display Case area looked a few years ago:

Of course, my nephew knows NOT to play with Uncle Cort's "special display" cars; besides, he has his own (some of which I bought him; some of which were/are mine). I took this pic of Nephew James & Niece Jennalyn:

03012013_NieceNephew_cars.jpg

Cort | 39.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 2 MCs + '79 & '89 Caprice Classics

CHD.cars + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Why can't this be real?" __ Restless Heart __ 'Fast Movin' Train'

These are older pics of my collection ... including an image of my HO scale train table when it was up'n'runnin':

Cort | 39.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 2 MCs + '79 & '89 Caprice Classics

"When you're surrounded by friends, they say the fun never ends" __ Glen Campbell __ 'Country Boy'

• Agree 1

Cool collection!! I have one really big curio cabinet with a majority of my displayed collectibles: one shelf is dedicated to cars (Tuckers, Pontiacs, Chevies); the remaining 6 or 7 shelves have my truck collection (pickups, commercial trucks, big rigs, SUVs, vans), tractors (Caterpillar & John Deere), and my Walt Disney World (light blue stripe) and Disneyland Monorails. A few years after my aunt passed away I inherited her three small Hummel curio cabnets (stacked on top of each other) that contain my fire trucks, smaller Tonka trucks, and Hallmark car, truck, Star Wars ornaments. I have two acrylic 1/25th wall units that are not being used but I will be needing them soon. Overflow of 1/25th & smaller vehicles will go in them to make room for larger scale models to go into the big curio.

• 2 weeks later...

*nods*

Thank you, Roger & dfelt! Much appreciated!

Hmmm....curio cabinet. That sounds like an interesting display solution. That's cool that you have so many of them, Roger, with history (aunt's) to add to it all. Any pics of your displays, by chance?

"Ever been to Texas?" __ Conway Twitty __ 'Saturday Night Special'

Sorry it took me a little longer to take those pictures Cort, but better late than never! For your vieiwing pleasure, I present my curios.

The BIG curio:

IMG_7965_zpsf6214fa3.jpg

The top two rows (Walt Disney World Teal Monorail, Tuckers, Pontiacs, Chevy, John Deere, red Macks):

IMG_7968_zpsb6134feb.jpg

The next couple of rows:

IMG_7969_zps2340a2d3.jpg

IMG_7970_zpsf29f42ea.jpg

IMG_7971_zps997bcfd8.jpg

The smaller curios (actually it's three separate Hummel curios stacked on top of each other; these were my aunts that I inherited after she passed):

IMG_7973_zps008f602b.jpg

Close-ups:

IMG_7975_zps4f80f0e7.jpg

IMG_7976_zps09ce7762.jpg

IMG_7977_zpsd50542b0.jpg

What's really sad is that I have a bunch of stuff purchased from car & toy shows last year in a box that I haven't tried to even fit onto the curios... I have the acrylic wall mounted displays that the wife is holding me up from mounting (she doesn't approve of any of the places I want to put them :lol: ). If I get them up I can move some of the 1/25th sized collectibles out and put in the new stuff. Soon, very soon... ;)

I've got a collection of promos but they are stashed away somewhere and I can't remember where that is. Some of the highlights:

1950 Plymouth

1963 Olds Starfire

1965 Imperial

1966 Marlin

1969 Grand Prix

1970 Bonneville convert

1971 GTO

1976 AMC Pacer

1996 Dodge Caravan (!)

That is all I can think of off the top of my pointy head.

It's good to see other grown men collect "toys". I'll have to show these pix to my wife, so she doesn't think I'm the only one. :)

Very nice collections, youse guys!

I remember getting into the promo frenzy in 1989/1990/1991. I have some that go into the mid-'90s too. I was 14/15 years old at the time and my parents liked to go to Lancaster, PA a lot. Some of the flea markets and stores in that area use to carry promos, to which I started collecting. There was also a Chevy dealer on Route 10 my dad stopped at for me and I'd buy them there too. Rick Kranz use to be in the mail-order business and I bought many from him (the days before eBay and online stores!). They're tucked away in my basement but at this point they'll likely be put up for sale as soon as I get off my lazy butt!

Don't worry, NeonLX, you're not alone in this collecting world. I have tons of HWs and MBXs vehicles and the wife dreads Target/Wal-Mart/Toys R Us visists :P

• Agree 1

What's really sad is that I have a bunch of stuff purchased from car & toy shows last year in a box that I haven't tried to even fit onto the curios... I have the acrylic wall mounted displays that the wife is holding me up from mounting (she doesn't approve of any of the places I want to put them :lol: ). If I get them up I can move some of the 1/25th sized collectibles out and put in the new stuff. Soon, very soon... ;)

Yes, Roger, that IS sad that they are still in a box!

I don't have the problem of having to have a wife approve of where to put things.... ;). Course, on the flip side, I'm not getting any ... well you know, either. *rolls eyes*

BUT ... I LOVE your curio cabinets ... holy cow ... what an awesome collection. Color me a bit jealous, even. Course, that gives me some ideas about getting at least 1 curio cabinet....hmmmmmm.....where to find one CHEAP????

"How can anybody be so lucky?" __ John Conlee __ 'Domestic Life'

Awesome collection!

I still have shelves and shelves of 1/18th scale die-cast models at my parents house, all over the place. Used to love buying them all, usually newer vs. classic models.

Properly displayed, yours look great. Need a few more? :scratchchin:

• 2 weeks later...

knightfan - they're out there, you just need to find a furniture store that doesn't rip you off. Raymour & Flanigan have some great ones, and that's where mine came from, but they can get pretty expensive. It was purchased during a holiday sale period, so that made it more affordable. I have no room left for another curio unless I go to the basement. I did look at some smaller curious this past January when we went living room furniture shopping, but the money was for new couches and not a curio! I also go to IKEA, not sure if you have one close by. They used to carry some interesting display cases at affordable prices. There's one in Philly we go to and are overdue for a visit. I will check there again.

caddycruiser - I rarely display any of my 1/18th scale models due to their size. I have a bunch I want to sell and then the rest are stored in boxes in the basement. The few in my curio are taking up expensive real estate!! I need to work on where to hang my two acrylic displays soon so I can move about 20 1/24th scale models from my curio and free up some needed space for the new stuff!

Most of my collection is in storage. 1/18th scale diecast, 1/43rd , 1/24, 1/64, etc.... 1/25th scale promo models, built and unbuilt 1/24 and 1/25 scale models. My next house will have a room or two dedicated to modeling and display.