The Chevrolet Sonic versus the Hyundai Accent

Rvinyl.com

There has been some discussion about the merits of the Sonic versus the Hyundai Accent over at the Hyundai forums and Edmunds.

In essence, people have been saying that the Accent is simply a better overall value than the Sonic. Now, I have no horse in the race here but it just strikes me as strange to hear that given my impression of the Accent but my knowledge of the vehicle may be somewhat dated (the last time I saw one was circa 2006 in Bushwick, Brooklyn and it wasn't a pretty site). In short, a lot of people are saying that the Accent will run longer and with less problems than a Chevy Sonic but the counterpoint to that is that when something does go wrong you out of luck finding parts.

Thoughts? Where would you stand?

I haven't driven an Accent, but I've had plenty of seat time in a Sonic.

The Sonic rides and drives well and feels substantial going down the road. The cabin is plastic fantastic, but everything is grained well and the design is pleasing. I don't like how it doesn't have a center arm rest, the seat mounted ones dig into my side so I never use it. Driving position is excellent though. Rearward visibility isn't great, front and sides are good though. My biggest grip is the dimwitted automatic, which is quick to usually upshift and slow to downshift, but sometimes it won't upshift when it should. Manual mode isn't very responsive. The 1.4 Turbo w/ manual RS would be my pick were I to go with a Sonic.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to drive a Sonic while Moms Aveo was getting some work done. Not really something for my taste but I couldn't fault somebody for wanting one. I think the 1.8 liter engine is great plenty for most people. I don't really like the idea of the 1.4 liter turbo. More to go wrong later. It was quiet, ride fairly well despite the large 17 inch tires. My biggest complaint with it is that the seats are a little narrow for somebody larger and the map pocket on the door and the other storage compartment in the transmission tunnel make leg space a little narrow. I also found that when you slowed down to about 25 miles an hour or so the transmission would downshift with a lurch. I thought the transmission could have shifted smoother though it was my first time driving a 6 speed automatic(I am used to driving 4 speed autos). Mileage in the time we had it was around 30 miles to the gallon which I though was real good for the performance it had. Overall not a bad car but it isn't my thing.