Honda News: Honda Joins The Turbocharging Party

William Maley

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

November 19, 2013

It has been a few years since Honda did a turbocharged four-cylinder engine in one of their vehicles (first-generation Acura RDX), but the company is coming back with turbocharged engines with a vengeance. This morning in Tokyo, Honda introduced three new turbocharged VTEC engines; a 1.0L three-cylinder unit, and two four-cylinder engines displacing 1.5L and 2.0L.

The new engines utilize direct injection and advanced cooling techniques, such as pistons with cooling galleries to run relatively high compression ratios for turbocharged engines (10.6:1 for the 1.5L and 9.8:1 for the 2.0L).

Honda said these "engines will be applied on a number of future global models, depending on local market requirements and vehicle characteristics," without saying anything further.

Will we see any of these engines in the U.S.? We're not quite sure, but we'll let you know if anything changes.

Source: Honda

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected]or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Honda Announces All-New VTEC TURBO Engine Series

19 November 2013

Honda has announced the introduction of three all-new VTEC TURBO engines as part of its growing Earth Dreams Technology range. These new engines come in three capacities; 1 litre, 1.5 litre and 2 litre, and will deliver a dynamic performance, as well as class-leading output and fuel economy.

All three engines will be direct-injection petrol turbos, utilising variable valve motion technology such as Honda’s refined VTEC technology. Together with Honda’s 1.6 litre diesel engine and hybrid technology, these new turbo engines will be applied on a number of future global models, depending on local market requirements and vehicle characteristics.

Based on a completely new engine structure and utilising its newly developed turbo systems, Honda has downsized its engines and produced a highly efficient 1 litre direct-injection, 3-cyclinder turbo engine as well as a 1.5 litre direct injection, 4-cyclinder turbo engine. Both engines have low friction throughout and are able to achieve class-leading output and environmental performance.

The first VTEC TURBO set to come to Europe will be the high-output 2 litre, direct injection, 4-cyclinder turbo engine, which will appear in the forthcoming Civic Type R. A highly efficient and highly responsive engine, it will have an output in excess of 280ps and will be EURO 6 compliant.

View full article

For all the Money Honda put into F1 racing, I sure do not see a payback in terms of translating that technology into current selling auto's.

I agree with your list Drew, I wonder if they will use TT on any of these engines as Performance engines?

For all the Money Honda put into F1 racing, I sure do not see a payback in terms of translating that technology into current selling auto's.

I agree with your list Drew, I wonder if they will use TT on any of these engines as Performance engines?

Well the 2.0T is going to be used in the Euro-spec Civic Type R where it produces around 280 HP.

Looks quite conventional apart from the vertical orientation of the turbocharger. Conventional as in air-to-air intercooler, conventional (separate) exhaust manifold and single turbo.

Will probably be OK engines, but don't look for maximum torque peaking at 1,200 rpm.

Looks quite conventional apart from the vertical orientation of the turbocharger. Conventional as in air-to-air intercooler, conventional (separate) exhaust manifold and single turbo.

Will probably be OK engines, but don't look for maximum torque peaking at 1,200 rpm.

Vertical? I'm confused by what you means, as the orientation looks to be standard (parallel to crankshaft). As for intercooling, why wouldn't you use air to air? And the single turbo is likely bolted directly to the cylinder head, which has an integrated "manifold".

Should be interesting to see how they perform.

Edited by fuel_sipping