Audi News: Audi Decides Q3 Is Too Big, Teases Q1 Crossover

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

December 4, 2013

The smallest crossover that Audi currently sells is the Q3, but the automaker thinks that is too big. So the German automaker has released a teaser shot of the upcoming Q1 Crossover.

"The Audi Q1 is part of our broad-based SUV strategy. It is designed on the basis of the modular transverse engine concept and will round off our Q series at the bottom end," said Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of Audi.

The sketch released by Audi shows the Q1 having similar looks to the Crosslane concept shown at the 2012 Paris Motor Show. Other bits of information given by Audi is that the Q1 will be part of 11 new models which the automaker plans to launch by the end of the decade, will begin producing sometime in 2016, and that it will be based on a modular transverse-engine platform.

Source: Audi

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected]or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Ingolstadt, 2013-12-02

Audi decides on development of Q1 as a new member of the Q family

- Production of the new compact SUV as of 2016 at the plant in Ingolstadt

- Audi CEO Rupert Stadler: "The Q1 is a key component of our growth strategy."

- Chairman of the General Works Council, Peter Mosch, welcomes the decision

There is to be an addition to Audi's Q model family. The Board of Management and the Works Council of AUDI AG today announced that a new model will roll off the assembly lines in Ingolstadt as of 2016: the Q1.

"The Audi Q1 is part of our broad-based SUV strategy. It is designed on the basis of the modular transverse engine concept and will round off our Q series at the bottom end," stated Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG. As an attractive entry into the Q family, the new model will make a strong contribution to the company's ongoing growth and will strengthen its international competitiveness. Audi is continuing its model offensive with the Q1; by 2020, the automaker will expand its product range from the current 49 to more than 60 models. By then, Audi will reach total unit sales of more than two million automobiles each year.

The decision to produce the new model will help to secure utilization of capacity at the main plant in Ingolstadt over the long term. At this site, Audi produces models in the A and B segments, namely the A3 and A3 Sportback and the A4/A5 family. Peter Mosch, Chairman of the General Works Council, welcomes the decision: "This is a clear commitment to Ingolstadt as a production site. We will continue to make all efforts to develop the plant even further as the leading technological site of the Audi Group." The decision on the new model is regarded as proof that employee codetermination secures jobs and that the internationalization of the Audi group is not taking place at the expense of the sites in Germany.

The Q family currently comprises the Audi Q3, RS Q3, Q5, SQ5 and Q7. The Q5 is the global market leader in its direct competitive environment. This year, Audi had already delivered 194,430 units of the Q5 to customers by the end of October, which is 17 percent more than in the prior-year period. Approximately 230,000 units of this model are planned to be built in 2013, which is more than half of the total Q volume. The proportion of the company's total production volume accounted for by SUVs will be about 28 percent this year, and is planned to rise to more than 35 percent by 2020. Overall, Audi has produced and delivered to customers more than 1.5 million automobiles of the Q family since the market launch of the first SUV in 2006.

View full article

Have to say I love what I see over all, nice big rims, solid body style. I think the compact CUV market has a ton of growth for AWD luxury models.

My one dislike is the Military style small windows. I am hearing from more and more people who are so over the small windows and want a bigger green house.

I know there is a market for people who like that slim small window, but more people like a bigger green house and if auto makers do not watch it, they will find themselves with product that does not sell as customers are looking for that bigger green house affect.

Audi is the German Lincoln. They will take any VW and put 4 rings on the front and give it a new interior and Quattro and call it a luxury car. I don't get why people would buy an Audi over the rival BMW or Mercedes, or even the ATS and CTS now should give competition to the A4 and A6.

Maybe the Q1 will have one door and carry 1 passenger.

That is mostly for side impact protection... it's less about styling. Soon we'll all just be driving foam coolers around with 360 degree video systems replacing the windows entirely.

That will truly force me to continue to hold onto my older auto's. I refuse to be a lemming in a foam cooler. If auto's go the way of the movie Time Cop that has no windows and is self driving, that will be a sad day.

I challenge the true impact safety of these higher doors. I think they can be built with more green house and still offer the same protection.

Audi is the German Lincoln. They will take any VW and put 4 rings on the front and give it a new interior and Quattro and call it a luxury car. I don't get why people would buy an Audi over the rival BMW or Mercedes, or even the ATS and CTS now should give competition to the A4 and A6.

Maybe the Q1 will have one door and carry 1 passenger.

I am amazed by what you post some times. You must truly drink deeply 3 times a day from the BMW & MB coolaid bowl. I will say that Audi auto's do not look anything like VW here and they are very nice inside and out compared to the cheap stuff VW makes. I have found many Audi auto's to be nicer with better fit and finish than BMW and MB. Both of them have been sitting on their history. It was funny to see at the local GMC / Buick Dealership that they had 7 BMW 3 series that were from 1 to 3 yrs old and 5 MB that were all 2 years old traded in. I would say more people are realizing they can get great auto's that drive equal to what BMW & MB puts out without the crazy cost of ownership or the poor quality.

The Buick Encore gets some competition.... maybe this is why there are rumors of an Encore Diesel?

+1 Putting in the 2.8 L Duramax would be an awesome engine for the Encore to get.

The Buick Encore gets some competition.... maybe this is why there are rumors of an Encore Diesel?

+1 Putting in the 2.8 L Duramax would be an awesome engine for the Encore to get.

Not a chance. It would be a 1.7 liter not currently sold here, but certainly not over 2.0 liters.

Not at the estimated $31k starting price it isn't

I don't think the prices have been released for US market. It is supposed to debut in 2014 as a 2015 model. I wouldn't be surprised though.

GM has truly started the small, luxo crossover market in US. Time to up the game with better power trains as a preemptive strike. The Germans will be bringing some powerful engines and a diesel.

That would be a stretch. We got our Encore almost completely loaded and it stickered at $32k. The only things we didn't get were engine block heater and chrome wheels. I can't see a $7k premium on the Encore for being a diesel.

In the Opel Mokka, the diesel is only a €1,595 premium over the gas model, roughly $2,178. That gets me a 1.7 liter diesel with 221 lb-ft

That would be a very easy decision for me to make.