Dash Kits and Aftermarket Accessories - Yea or Nay

Rvinyl.com

Despite my user name and the title of the thread I really just wondered how many people are actually interested in customizing their interiors with dash kits, dash covers, colored LEDs, bezels, etc... Now, I am obviously in the business of catering to tuners, modders, enthusiasts what have you but the majority of people on the road, from you purists to your commuters, don't really seem to give a lick. Well, maybe they care about window tint but that is about the limit.

So, what about you guys? Granted the audience here is a vastly different demographic than the general driving population, but I really respect the breadth, depth and passion of most of the users here so I would be interest to know if most of these products are just shrugged off as being superfluous or if some auto accessoires (non-performance) are actually used and appreciated. Don't be afraid to be honest or brutal (we're based in Brooklyn so I'm used to it) but I would appreciate any replies. Thanks again and take care!

Mike

For me Mike, I like to update my exterior lights, interior lights and if a dash trim piece wears out or gets broken replace it with a quality piece which is not always OEM. In regards to putting a carpet on my dash or smoke spraying the headlights or other interior pieces, I tend to be more purist in keeping the interior the way the OEM made it. The biggest change I did was add sound deadening to my 94 Suburban so the inside ride is even quieter.

I always enjoy seeing what others might do, but usually keep it simple.

• Agree 1

I have yet to see a dash kit that didn't look added on. That's not to say I haven't modded my interior though, its actually quite extensively modified. However, I'm all about subtly and making appear like it came from the factory that way (except the steering wheel cover).

How it originally looked:

33141180040_original.jpg?v=0

Current:

33141180104_original.jpg?v=0

Those leather seats make it look so much better. I would love to see the door panels changed out to match the seats. Very custom but nice sync with the leather seats, leather door panels.

Keep up the awesome work, your car really shines.

I changed my tires to all-terrain ones on my Envoy and bought the GMC accessory all-weather floor mats, does that count as modding? :lol: I've added some decals too (fire dept related), and mounted a blue emergency light to the roof rack for my fire police volunteer duties. The wife's G6 Sedan I had professional window tinting done, and unfortunately the dealer added their wonderful "tape" pinstripe to the car before we saw it (and it figures the wife likes it - I had the dealer who put it on my CPO Envoy remove it before I took delivery).

I tend to be a purist, I typically like my vehicles the way they came from the factory. I saw a "Pep Boys" dipped Ram 1500 today - even had flesh-colored super huge 'truck nuts' dangling from the back. Added chrome trim everywhere you could think of on the body, plus more air spoilers than I ever saw on a '70s Trans Am. These types of people have no taste in my opinion. And those that add the canvas roof to their plebian sedan (aka Toyotas). Glad to see Cadillac and Buick dealers move away from this option, but I guess with Toyota's average age buyers being from the late baby boomer generation I guess these aftermarket companies follow the sheep wherever they buy from :lol:

However, I am a fan of factory-authorized accessories. When I purchase my next new pickup, whether it be Sierra or Canyon, I plan to add a factory tonneau cover, rubber bed mat and the bed dividers to prevent items from rolling all around. Aftermarket items I may consider the WeatherTech all-weather floor covering, though I'm not a fan of plastic on the floors (slippery with wet feet) and all-terrain tires since I like a beefier looking tire on a pickup (I'm going SLT with the Canyon and the 18" tires are Goodyear Wrangler that look more street than the All-Terrain trim's BF Goodrich All Terrain tires).

• Agree 1

I have yet to see a dash kit that didn't look added on. That's not to say I haven't modded my interior though, its actually quite extensively modified. However, I'm all about subtly and making appear like it came from the factory that way (except the steering wheel cover).

How it originally looked:

33141180040_original.jpg?v=0

Current:

33141180104_original.jpg?v=0

Nice! It's a good look--not overdone at all.