Cadillac Files Trademarks for CT2-CT8, XT2-XT8

Consistent with the new naming scheme outlined by Cadillac's incoming brand president, Johan de Nysschen, all of the trademark filings are organized into the CT or XT categories.

The company has reserved the terms CT2, CT3, CT4, CT7 and CT8, hinting at revisions for existing models and new names for future additions. The company has already confirmed that its upcoming flagship sedanicon1.png will be known as the CT6, while the CT5 is also listed among the older trademark filings.

Just as many crossovers and SUVs appear to be joining the carsicon1.png, with fresh filings for XT2, XT3, XT4, XT5, XT6, XT7 and XT8. Previous reports suggest the next-generation SRX crossover will get the XT5 label. The range of additional numbers hints that theEscalade may also be brought under the same format, however the company has not yet confirmed if its flagship SUV will get a new identity.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac...#ixzz3Itednhrp

Just as many crossovers and SUVs appear to be joining the carsicon1.png, with fresh filings for XT2, XT3, XT4, XT5, XT6, XT7 and XT8.

This scares me. I hope Johan is not going to make competitors for X1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and whatever SUV Norbert Reithofer dreams of while taking a dump.

• Agree 2

After talking with someone at Infiniti, car makers are just trademarking everything they can now and worry about using it later. In the grand scheme of things, it is cheap insurance that you'll have the name to use when you want to use it, even if you don't have plans for a specific vehicle today.

Just as many crossovers and SUVs appear to be joining the carsicon1.png, with fresh filings for XT2, XT3, XT4, XT5, XT6, XT7 and XT8.

This scares me. I hope Johan is not going to make competitors for X1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and whatever SUV Norbert Reithofer dreams of while taking a dump.

I can understand that a company would want to cover the whole range and I agree with you that I hope the incoming idiot does not just follow the German Lemmings off the cliff. That would be bad for Cadillac.

I can understand that a company would want to cover the whole range and I agree with you that I hope the incoming idiot does not just follow the German Lemmings off the cliff. That would be bad for Cadillac.

I don't kno what to tell U guys. GM needs Cadillac to be what Audi is to VW; a Profit center. THey also need Corvette to do the same.. which leads me to believe that they will at some point piss-off a bunch of U again. Me??? As an Auto Enthuiast I have no issue with the naming or the possibility of expanding the line-up into unknown territory. In fact.. I don't have an issue with Benz doing it as long as they are utilizing luxury level, great driving, performance dynamic platforms that can actually.. . well perform as luxury models. The CLA isn't it... and all it says to me is that they SEE that many buyers of their brand are only buying for the emblem. I've driven that car.. the CLA45 AMG. U wanna buy a fun car??? Head somewhere else. Yes it has scoot.. but it it handles like a car version of 2 left feet. And since when the hell was AWD supposed to have torque steer?

If Cadillac goes to a sub-ATS model.. but uses the exemplary platform that is Alpha... I'm on board. The ATS isn't exactly a micro-car. Cadillac would be bad off selling a baseline $30K car. The ATS is 182.2 inches long with a 109.3 WB, the CTS 195.5 with a 114.6WB.. there is definitely room to go slightly smaller with the A3 being only 175.4 and 103.8. Technically since we don't kno what the D2X platform is capable of it too could be a candidate since Delta II is actually a damn great handler. I kno.. I kno... U hate it.. but its the reality of the luxo market. GM needs this. Its not enough anymore to say "let Buick have those people..." because Buick is not on the level of Cadillac or Benz.. and the customer that wants a super small luxury is not going to Buick's Verano, altho they would possibly go to Cadillac's CT2. 

I wouldn't mind a Cadillac CT2 on Alpha.

Considering the CT6 is gonna actually be the 7Series Killer.. I'm wondering if the CTS is going CT5 or CT4. Basically is Cadillac going "Audi" or "BMW" with their naming scheme, making Coupes odd and Sedans even.. or are they gonna retain their current ideology and have sedan and Coupes under the same name as they did with the CTS and CTS Coupe.

They need to trademark everything to cover the bases. But who knows what they actually use or if they use odd and even for coupe and sedan. Wouldn't surprise me if these name plates are around for 10 years or so and they scrap them for a new naming scheme.