Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

MB GLE Coupe fighter to BMW X6 be any uglier?

David

G. David Felt
Alternative Fuels & Propulsion writer
www.CheersandGears.com

Reading this on Motor Trend and I have to ask when will this ugly CUV Coupe fad end?

http://wot.motortrend.com/1412_bmw_x6_fighting_mercedes_gle_coupe_prototype_shows_lots_of_skin.html

With stated AMG version using a twin turbo V8 engine, this brought up many questions for me to wonder about.

Is the big engine V8 powered CUV / SUV's going to become the sole domain of Trucks or will the governments rewrite the spec to force the death of V8's?

How does this offer any real benefit over the more traditional CUV/SUV?

Can the market really justify / afford to support so many niche auto's?

Does this tend to give view into what could cause future money waste and force MB and BMW to have to pare back their product offerings once the market stops buying the less than useful niche products?

How does a Jelly bean style fit into MB style language as this seems to be generic looking and stand out at the same time?

So many questions and no real clear cut answer.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Will this be a winner for MB or more of a distraction? Sound Off!

I think SUV coupes are stupid, but I sort of think most SUVs are pointless because a lot of them don't offer any more interior room than a sedan (as far as seating goes), and you trade handling, braking, fuel economy, etc due to extra weight.  This looks better than the X6 though.  And Mercedes got people to spend $10,000 extra on a 4-door coupe E-class, might as well get them to spend $10,000 extra on a 4 door coupe ML-class.