There has been a bit of overlap for the Hyundai Sonata lineup as there is a new Sonata along with the last-generation Sonata Hybrid. Not anymore. The next-generation Sonata Hybrid made its debut in Korea today.

The Korean-market Sonata Hybrid uses a updated parallel hybrid powertrain setup which boasts a direct-injection 2.0L four-cylinder and a 38-kilowatt electric motor. This is paired up to a six-speed automatic transmission. Hyundai says the new powertrain produces more overall power than the outgoing Sonata Hybrid's powertrain. Also seeing a change is the lithium-polymer battery pack which boasts an additional 13 percent in capacity.

To make the Sonata Hybrid standout from the standard Sonata, Hyundai's designers put on a new front fascia to help improve aerodynamics.

Now we'll be seeing the North American version of the Sonata Hybrid next month at the Detroit Auto Show. Details about the powertrain and other key items will likely be revealed there.

Source: Hyundai

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

WOW, Talk about a knock off of Audi with just blah impression it leaves me with.  Guess it will appeal to the tree huggers and ultra conservatives that cannot handle beauty.

Driving experience aside, I still cannot accept the trunk space compromise the hybrid sedans ask of us.  Maybe CUV's would make better hybrid candidates.

Driving experience aside, I still cannot accept the trunk space compromise the hybrid sedans ask of us.  Maybe CUV's would make better hybrid candidates.

Truth...

When I was in San Francisco in September with my friends from Germany. The only choices at the National Car rental lot were Sonata, Sonata Hybrid, and Altima and a 200C (I didn't go there, I knew it would never work space wise).  My friends wanted the Hybrid because they're greenies, but we simply couldn't fit all of our luggage in the trunk. The week prior we had a Chrysler 300 and everything fit fine.  We ended up in a standard Sonata and had to sit on the trunk to make things fit.  

The passenger cabin of the new Sonata feels like any other mid-size except in rear seat leg room, where it feels full size.

Why is the Sonata Hybrid trunk smaller than the standard Sonata? It is not like a CNG car with they tend to put the tank there. So what is so different between the two?

Why is the Sonata Hybrid trunk smaller than the standard Sonata? It is not like a CNG car with they tend to put the tank there. So what is so different between the two?

Battery.  Couldn't get full size luggage in long way.  It would have been fine for 2 of us... not for 4.

post-51-0-34264600-1419015424_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-75057200-1419015397_thumb.jpg

This was the Chrysler 300.  It goes back as far as the Sonata, but the trunk is deeper in height so luggage could stand up on the narrow end, making for an easy fit.

post-51-0-13915400-1419015595_thumb.jpg

Thanks Drew, that is great to see, was not aware of the battery issue with the hybrid. That is a big loss of space.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook