• Welcome Guest!

Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Next Holden Commodore Begins Testing In Australia

We're one step closer to learning about the next-generation Holden Commodore as the automaker has begun testing the new model in Austraila. This news comes from Stefan Jacoby, General Motor's Executive Vice President Consolidated International Operations.

“We are driving this car already in Lang Lang,” said Jacoby.

“I love that proving ground [and] the Holden engineering team will have a part to integrate this vehicle into the Australian market. It is very obvious that the successor needs to be stronger than today’s model, and we understand that better than anybody else, and we will do everything we can, with modern technology.”

The new Commodore is expected to switch from the rear-wheel drive layout it has used for the majority of its life to a new front-wheel drive platform from the next-generation Opel Insignia. But Jacoby says the Holden version will look and drive differently than its platform mate. The Australian design team who played a key role in the design of the Buick Avenir and Chevrolet Bolt concepts will have a say in how the next Commodore will look like. As for the move to front-wheel drive, Jacoby said this;

“I’m coming from a front-wheel-drive group, the VW/Audi group, and with this company we don’t believe there is a true disadvantage between a front-wheel-drive Audi at the time with BMW rear-wheel drive. I think it depends on how much you can bring to the road, in respect of sportiness, and active driving and not necessarily a decision on whether it is front- or rear-wheel drive.”

Source: CarAdvice.com.au, Drive.com.au

Click here to view the article

Very interesting comments in regards to the comparison between Audi and BMW. The world will tell soon enough when they finally bring this FWD auto to the masses. 

If done right and the Commodore customers are happy then they will have delivered.

Aussie dude is full of crap.  He's towing the line.  Of bull.

the FWD v. RWD debate aside for the moment... I see a bigger issue than that.

SIZE!  How can they get from the nearly Full-Size Commodore to the nearly compact Insignia and keep the name!?

Even going to the Lacrosse would be a bit of a jump down..... 

The only way I could see them moving to FWD for the Commodore and keeping true to the rest of the car would be to build an Aussie Impala. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How can they do this? Well there is more to the story than they are telling you I my hunch.

While they will do a smaller FWD car we still have one more to arrive in the Holden version of the Avenir.

I expect Holden to get a version of this car since for one they did a lot of work on it. Also that it was shown in a Holden commercial along with a smaller FWD like car at is spoken of here.

I also expect the Buick to show up as a Vauxhall too.

The only mistake I see is putting the Commodore name on a FWD. They should have used a different name. 

Keep in mind Australia is much like our market was in the 70's - 80's where the Asian cars have come in and forced the local Automakers to change their ways. With such a small market it has made it difficult to do their own thing anymore so they are being force into a global market. In a bad way they will lose jobs but in a good way they will get cars they never would have seen in the past.

The key here is the Aussie market is no longer a RWD market anymore. The best selling car is the Mazda 3 and Toyota is dominating the market with their cars and small trucks. ford has already pulled out the RWD car and may only have a Mustang there it that.

The Zeta RWD has been a good seller but the numbers have been in decline and it is not where the market is heading. A lower volume Omega would give the market a RWD AWD car that they could support and make money with. Also it would leverage out the Omega more to help GM recover the cost on several lower volume models globally.

So the long and short of this is let GM roll out the whole plan as the devil is in the details you yet not know.

I see Holden getting the best of the global product GM will have and they will let Holden still do a little tweaking to make thing right for their markets. I see the Corvette may be there and at some point I would not be shocked if the Camaro may show up there some time in the future. We will see also the best of Opel/Buick there too.

My next guess is they will get a RHD version of our new Colorado too as  second gen model.

GM may have stopped building the Zeta there but they have not abandon the market there.

Edited by hyperv6

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Back in December, Jaguar's head of Design, Ian Callum revealed that work had begun on the next-generation XJ. Not many details were given except that the new XJ would be "something quite special." This week at the Geneva Motor show, Callum let loose a few more details.
      A key complaint about the current XJ is a cramped interior. Callum said the new model would address this issue.
      “It’ll be different. And it will have more room inside it. One of the biggest criticisms XJ has had is that a lot of people think the room inside the car is not big enough. I don’t believe in segmentation like this — I don’t believe in an F Segment as such,” explained Callum.
      “I think we should just do a luxury vehicle that matches people well. That’s what we’ve done for XJ, which is what the first one was all about. A lot of our market is far-eastern and people are using these big cars to be driven in, so we must accommodate that better.”
      The next XJ will about the size of a Mercedes-Benz S-Class, but Callum said the XJ will be focused more as a driver’s car.
      “I never saw XJ as an S-Class competitor. Mercedes-Benz have created that place — the three-box limo sedan,” said Callum.
      “I just don’t think that’s a Jaguar. A Jaguar is a sportier entity and it should reflect that. Yes it will take four [people] to market in comfort and luxury, but that’s where the similarities stop. It will still be a driver’s car. I don’t think many Mercedes-Benz S-Classes are driver’s cars, with the exception of AMGs or something. If you drive an XJR575, it’s a driver’s car. It just happens to be able to take three people in comfort. I don’t buy this segmentation.”
      CarAdvice expects we'll see the next XJ at the end of this year. But as we reported previously, Callum said the new XJ wouldn't debut in 2018. We're expecting to see it sometime next year at the earliest.
      Source: CarAdvice

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Back in December, Jaguar's head of Design, Ian Callum revealed that work had begun on the next-generation XJ. Not many details were given except that the new XJ would be "something quite special." This week at the Geneva Motor show, Callum let loose a few more details.
      A key complaint about the current XJ is a cramped interior. Callum said the new model would address this issue.
      “It’ll be different. And it will have more room inside it. One of the biggest criticisms XJ has had is that a lot of people think the room inside the car is not big enough. I don’t believe in segmentation like this — I don’t believe in an F Segment as such,” explained Callum.
      “I think we should just do a luxury vehicle that matches people well. That’s what we’ve done for XJ, which is what the first one was all about. A lot of our market is far-eastern and people are using these big cars to be driven in, so we must accommodate that better.”
      The next XJ will about the size of a Mercedes-Benz S-Class, but Callum said the XJ will be focused more as a driver’s car.
      “I never saw XJ as an S-Class competitor. Mercedes-Benz have created that place — the three-box limo sedan,” said Callum.
      “I just don’t think that’s a Jaguar. A Jaguar is a sportier entity and it should reflect that. Yes it will take four [people] to market in comfort and luxury, but that’s where the similarities stop. It will still be a driver’s car. I don’t think many Mercedes-Benz S-Classes are driver’s cars, with the exception of AMGs or something. If you drive an XJR575, it’s a driver’s car. It just happens to be able to take three people in comfort. I don’t buy this segmentation.”
      CarAdvice expects we'll see the next XJ at the end of this year. But as we reported previously, Callum said the new XJ wouldn't debut in 2018. We're expecting to see it sometime next year at the earliest.
    • By William Maley
      As Ford wraps up European production of the Focus RS next month, rumors are beginning to swirl about the next-generation.
      Dutch publication Auto International reports the next-generation Focus RS will be packing 400 horsepower via a 48-volt mild-hybrid system. The report alleges that the turbocharged 2.3L four-cylinder used in the current model will carry over, but will feature a larger starter motor for the hybrid system. Torque will rise to 394 pound-feet. A six-speed manual will be the standard transmission, but Auto International reports a dual-clutch transmission is in the cards for certain markets.
      There is some credence to this rumor as Ford is planning to electrify a number of models in the coming years, including the F-150 and Mustang.
      No time frame was given as to when the next Focus RS will debut, but considering the new Focus will debut next month, we're expecting it will be sometime after 2020.
      Source: Auto International

View full article
    • By William Maley
      As Ford wraps up European production of the Focus RS next month, rumors are beginning to swirl about the next-generation.
      Dutch publication Auto International reports the next-generation Focus RS will be packing 400 horsepower via a 48-volt mild-hybrid system. The report alleges that the turbocharged 2.3L four-cylinder used in the current model will carry over, but will feature a larger starter motor for the hybrid system. Torque will rise to 394 pound-feet. A six-speed manual will be the standard transmission, but Auto International reports a dual-clutch transmission is in the cards for certain markets.
      There is some credence to this rumor as Ford is planning to electrify a number of models in the coming years, including the F-150 and Mustang.
      No time frame was given as to when the next Focus RS will debut, but considering the new Focus will debut next month, we're expecting it will be sometime after 2020.
      Source: Auto International
    • By William Maley
      Whenever one German automaker does something new, others will follow. For example, the BMW X6 caused Mercedes-Benz to launch the GLE-Coupe. Now with the launch of the Mercedes-Benz X-Class in certain markets, BMW's Australian office is pushing the main office for a pickup truck.
      “We cannot close our eyes and neglect it, we cannot neglect market trends,” said Marc Werner, head of BMW Australia.
      "We have been very pushy regarding utes or pick-ups, and we believe that this is something the company should be looking into. We have raised that with headquarters and certainly investigations are happening as we speak, but it’s too early to speak about the results of that analysis, but if there was a ute we would certainly take it.”
      In Australia, pickups or utes as they are known is one fastest-growing segments in the country.
      “If you look at the market, more than 150,000 Utes [were sold last year], out of 1.1 m cars overall and I think that that segment grew last year by 17 percent,” said Werner.
      BMW building a ute really doesn't fit the image of the brand. But Werner disagrees, saying the similar arguments were given with the launch of the X5 in 1999. Now the X family of crossovers are some of BMWs most popular models.
      “At the end of the day, we need to cater for what the customer and consumer want – and then the question is does it fit with the BMW DNA and BMW brand promise or are we over-stretching the brand, that is the core question that needs to be answered. But from a pure engineering perspective, everything is possible. The question is what does the brand stand for and how far you want to stretch it.”
      If BMW decides to go forward with this idea, they could reach out to their alliance partner Toyota to use the Hilux truck as a base. Mercedes did the same as the X-Class is a reworked version of the Nissan Navara pickup.
  • My Clubs