Trivia Tuesday, May 12 2015

1.) What was the first year for an automotive fuel gauge?

2.) Chrysler Corp made the pushbutton automatic famous in the late '50s and early '60s, before the nannies in Big Gov't pushed ChryCo to "standardize". When was the last American car push-button automatic built?

3.) How many production Oldsmobile vehicles used the '88' designation at least in part?

2.) Chrysler Corp made the pushbutton automatic famous in the late '50s and early '60s, before the nannies in Big Gov't pushed ChryCo to "standardize". When was the last American car push-button automatic built?

I got burned last time I believed an article, but I read an online article recently which indicated Chrysler used the push-button until 1964.

Somewhat related, I'm amused that Chrysler was pushed to "standardize" back then, when now, we are seeing push buttons for some new cars.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Everybody knew it was the end of the line" __ Jimmy Dean __ 'Big Bad John'

2.)  The last American car push-button automatic has not been built.  Current Lincoln MKZ.  ;)

+MKC

That said, I much prefer the turn-dial of the current Chryslers. It took me a day or two to get used to in a Ram 1500 and after a week I was like "I hope all cars get this!".  I hope they put that into the next mini-van.

Cort, I believe you are quite correct: ChryCo last used pushbuttons in '64.

Woo hoo!!!!!!!

Now, about #1.  Believe that'd be 1904.  I participated in writing a trivia contest some years ago for an event ... & I did some digging yesterday to see if I could find my copy.  Found a copy, but only the rough draft.  In that, we had noted the 1st fuel gauge was a floating arm in 1904, tho, to my dismay, we didn't note what vehicle it was on, so I can't be sure of the answer....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"We missed a page or 2 somehow" __ Suzy Boggus __ 'Cinderella'

As per policy, I defer to information that supersedes that which I have found. Source I had stated the first automotive fuel gauge was 1922… but in hindsight that sounds WAY too late.

As to #3, there was the :

'88' 

'DeLuxe 88'

'Delta 88'

'Dynamic 88'

'Delmont 88'

'Rocket 88'

'Golden Rocket 88'

'Futuramic 88'

'Jetstar 88'

'Super 88'

There were other permiations...