Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

The comments say he made himself bigger blah blah blah.

While true, it looked like that was a baby bear and well baby bears usually dont look for a fight.  And while Im trying to talk a big game, I dont know how I would have reacted. Probably not as brave as this driver, but I do know one thing, had momma bear been around, no amount of making one's self bigger would have worked... 

Best comment goes to this gentleman though:  (Im a sucker for bad puns and dad jokes!)

Porch Pirates are becoming unBEARable! (pun)
Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

The comments say he made himself bigger 

While true, it looked like that was a baby bear and well baby bears usually dont look for a fight.  And while Im trying to talk a big game, I dont know how I would have reacted. Probably not as brave as this driver, but I do know one thing, had momma bear been around, no amount of making one's self bigger would have worked... 

I think it was a teenage bear.  It looks like it might have just recently parted ways with its mother and any siblings.  Lucky for the Amazon delivery guy.  He was so damn relaxed about the whole thing.

- - - - -

I had mentioned Greek yogurt before and how much I liked the flavor Toasted Marshmallow.  I then tried one called Creme Brulee because I couldn't find Toasted Marshmallow.  I didn't like it.  (Their basic Strawberry and Strawberry Cheesecake are good.) With basic Greek yogurt being blander in taste, it's great to have the addition of some flavor so I'll eat it more readily.  I like that it's good for the gut.  So, I again found and stocked up on this Toasted Marshmallow flavor.  So damn good.

KIMG5342.thumb.JPG.0fd0d57cbf518508cee7e5b609e8f0d8.JPG

KIMG5343.thumb.JPG.a35f08c8df6e334092500e69492a9304.JPG

• Upvote 2

^^^ 

Adolescent bear is a more accurate description than saying it was a baby bear.  I just wanted to say (and type) baby bear. LOL.   Rolls off the tongue better (and the words look better on screen).  LOL   

Creme Brulee and/with Greek yogurt?  It doesnt sound that appetizing...   I wouldnt have the courage to try it.   

How come in Canada, we dont get those kinds of choices?    I doubt that in Greece, or in any Middle Eastern country that multiple flavoured "Greek" yogurts exists either...    What I find cool about that is in Greece, a small yogurt package comes with a little packet of honey on the side.   

And what I mean about multiple flavoured and the lack of choices is what you presented us with.  Strawberry and blueberry and peach yogurt in Greek yogurt guise is available.  What is not is cheesecake and creme brulee and roasted marshmellow and anything else that seems illogical to the non-American diet...  LOL

• Upvote 1

@oldshurst442  Check the label on the photos.  Dannon makes these yogurt cups, so you may very well have them in Canada.  Not all American grocery stores carry all these flavors.  Once certain ones do, and I do know the rhyme and reason as to how they choose to carry, and not carry, certain flavors of yogurt.  It's the same situation with salad dressing flavors.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 5:51 PM, balthazar said:

'61-62 Pontiac final drive ratio options : 
2.56, 2.69, 2.87, 3.08, 3.23, 3.31, 3.55, 3.64, 3.90, 4.44, 4.67, 4.88, 5.13, 5.38, 5.57, 5.86, 6.14 

That’s a lot of options.  Been a long time since most cars had any optional axle ratios.  

For yogurt-like food product, I like Siggi’s Skyr.  An Iceland product with more protein and calories than yogurt.  Smooth and tasty. 

On 1/19/2022 at 4:56 PM, balthazar said:

Nothing established as a hard end-date yet, so we'll see (BOF SUVs & trucks especially; GM has backpedaled there more than once.).

- - - - - 
Leno is one of the best reviewers out there, because he has actual hands-on perspective and has no need for awkward 'click bait' word games / phraseology. 

Ultium is body on frame. It's just now the frame is stuffed full of batteries.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ultium is body on frame. It's just now the frame is stuffed full of batteries.

But in this case, BOF for the EVs is not the same as old school BOF correct? My understanding is that EVs like the Hummer will be using a modified version of the BOF found in their full size pick ups but that doesn't mean that EVs like the future Equinox will be like that.

Edited by surreal1272

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm sure there are subtle differences from OEM to OEM, but looks like a textbook BOF to me. Rivian

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 1.07.55 PM.png

What I am referring to is the ride difference though. Yes, it looks like a traditional BOF but it rides like unibody. Besides harping about unibodies is missing serious context. BOF rides like $h! compared to unibody and that is a fact. Great for towing and hauling but garbage for everyday ride quality when compared to unibody. That applies to ICE cars only though as the Ultium is not like the BOFs of yore. To compare the two beyond that, in order to make some ridiculous point about what was being touted with ICE cars is not an apples to apples deal.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

What I am referring to is the ride difference though. Yes, it looks like a traditional BOF but it rides like unibody. Besides harping about unibodies is missing serious context. BOF rides like $h! compared to unibody and that is a fact. Great for towing and hauling but garbage for everyday ride quality when compared to unibody. That applies to ICE cars only though as the Ultium is not like the BOFs of yore. To compare the two beyond that, in order to make some ridiculous point about what was being touted with ICE cars is not an apples to apples deal.

Unibody v. BOF ride quality comes down more around what the manufacturer does beyond that decision.  My BOF Avalanche rides fantastic on the highway, most of the Ram pickups and Magnaride equipped Denalis do too.  The F-150 rides terrible unless there is one version out there with an active suspension that I haven't driven yet.  The Ford Mach-E rides like crap if you don't get the active suspension.  The Telsa Model 3, which is unibody, rides like a Conestoga wagon. 

You may be thinking of the really old tech stuff, but even then the Town Car v. DTS, the Town Car rode better, but the DTS handled better. Part of the reason was that the DTS was so stiff for its time that Cadillac had trouble dialing out the road imperfections. All of the last generation GM G-Bodies have that issue. 

• Upvote 3

That Rivian platform reminds me of a perimeter frame used on older full size (and some midsize) cars (like the GM B-body or Ford Panther).   Not a ladder frame w/ leaf springs like trucks usually have. 

A sturdy frame to hold the battery pack makes sense, esp. considering how heavy some of these BEVs are.

Edited by Robert Hall

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Unibody v. BOF ride quality comes down more around what the manufacturer does beyond that decision.  My BOF Avalanche rides fantastic on the highway, most of the Ram pickups and Magnaride equipped Denalis do too.  The F-150 rides terrible unless there is one version out there with an active suspension that I haven't driven yet.  The Ford Mach-E rides like crap if you don't get the active suspension.  The Telsa Model 3, which is unibody, rides like a Conestoga wagon. 

You may be thinking of the really old tech stuff, but even then the Town Car v. DTS, the Town Car rode better, but the DTS handled better. Part of the reason was that the DTS was so stiff for its time that Cadillac had trouble dialing out the road imperfections. All of the last generation GM G-Bodies have that issue. 

Have you or Bill asked for a week of a Rivian to drive and review? That would be cool!

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That Rivian platform reminds me of a perimeter frame used on older full size (and some midsize) cars (like the GM B-body or Ford Panther).   Not a ladder frame w/ leaf springs like trucks usually have. 

A sturdy frame to hold the battery pack makes sense, esp. considering how heavy some of these BEVs are.

The Rivian (and remarkably similar Ultium) platforms are kinda a hybrid of the two. The batteries on these are structural.  A ladder frame is just a perimeter frame with extra cross members for strength. 

And no one will be putting leaf springs in new EVs these days, if nothing else they won't have the room under the chassis.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Have you or Bill asked for a week of a Rivian to drive and review? That would be cool!

No, I've been out of the industry rotation since Covid started. 

19 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Very good points but I am not just referring to the super old stuff. Let me ask you this. Which rides better? A 2011 Pathfinder or a 2012 Pathfinder?

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

The Rivian (and remarkably similar Ultium) platforms are kinda a hybrid of the two. The batteries on these are structural.  A ladder frame is just a perimeter frame with extra cross members for strength. 

And no one will be putting leaf springs in new EVs these days, if nothing else they won't have the room under the chassis.

I guess I think of ladder frames like trucks where the cab, floor and bed bolts on it and sits above the frame, while a perimeter frame the floorpan fits down in the frame (I.e. 60s and newer BOF cars sat low like a unibody car, not high like a truck)   

Very good points but I am not just referring to the super old stuff. Let me ask you this. Which rides better? A 2011 Pathfinder or a 2012 Pathfinder?

Never rode in a 2011.

But I can tell you that a 2022 Wagoneer rides like Town Car to the point that Albert hated driving it because it was too mushy. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Never rode in a 2011.

But I can tell you that a 2022 Wagoneer rides like Town Car to the point that Albert hated driving it because it was too mushy. 

And that happens only because of extra suspension goodies and an extremely massaged chasis. On its own, BOF will not ride well at all (ver bouncy for example). Here's what I know regarding the question I asked you. The 2012 is unibody and rides way better than the 2011 BOF PF. While it sucked that they ditched the BOF platform for it, there were good reasons for it as well. 

Also, I should note that my pointing this put was due to Balths assertion that GM and others are doing a 180 back to BOF after years of upsell on unibody, when it is not true nor does it make a damn if it is. 

Edited by surreal1272

And that happens only because of extra suspension goodies and an extremely massaged chasis. On its own, BOF will not ride well at all (ver bouncy for example). Here's what I know regarding the question I asked you. The 2012 is unibody and rides way better than the 2011 BOF PF. While it sucked that they ditched the BOF platform for it, there were good reasons for it as well. 

Are they both IRS or solid rear axle? 

Also, I should note that my pointing this put was due to Balths assertion that GM and others are doing a 180 back to BOF after years of upsell on unibody, when it is not true nor does it make a damn if it is. 

I agree that it doesn't matter... but I disagree that BOF can't ride well or inherently rides better/worse than unibody.  Both can ride well, both can ride like crap.  It's all the other stuff that goes into it that makes the difference.  The 2011 Pathfinder was a truck based vehicle with some respectable off-roading chops. The 2012 was a Mommymobile that Nissan built for soccer moms.  You might as well compare a Wrangler to a new Pathfinder. The old Trailblazers rode better than the new Traverse.  That's probably a more apt comparison. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Wow, Maverick gas truck new orders on hold now too.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/6634931001

Seems demand is so crazy that Ford is stopping new orders to manage customer expectations. 

I have a particularly contrarian view on the Maverick

• Thanks 1