A-hole clients/customers

I have (my company has) this one client who is turning out to be a real ass hole. (I wrote about this once before). Unfortunately, I service his current project. I have never had a client I didn't like before (well, actually there was one). I figured it out. This guy, an exec "of sorts" at a construction company, thinks architects are necessary evils. (I'd like to see him get the degree and then the license). He is obviously some ex-jock who got into construction management - he may have a college education in construction, but, regardless, he is a little too classless. Since he probably lacks the technical skills, he has to use his over-the-top aggressiveness to get you to do what he wants.

Today, I almost told him to f*** off. I'm having him kicked into voice mail which angers him more. He thinks that this gets him his way. The reality is that he is put at the back of the queue and nicer clients move to the top of the heap.

Have you had $h!ty customers and clients that could have put your job on the line? Do you take it? Do you put them in their place? I am in a situation where I could afford to walk. It wouldn't take long to get a new job and I am sort of tired of the firm and the industry anyway. What have you done?

Guest Josh

Working for a major tele comm company I have plenty of stories. One fo the better, more common "customers" are those that *insist* they JUST dropped their call or it wouldn't go through to a certain #.

However, we have the ability to check every call, every text, how long it lasts, etc. I usually let them rant and rave for about 10 minutes before I turn my computer screen around, show them their calls are lasting ten minutes or more then watch them leave with their tails tucked between their legs.

Happens everytime.

But, I've had plenty of problem customers, more than anybody should. In any given day I'll have 4 or 5 billing issues that are as simple as simple can get, however people refuse to believe their kids are downloading games when it's right on the bill.

real estate wonks and construction managers......no wonder our built environment is so $h!ty. with those dorks calling all the shots these days, well, Joe Q Public, you get what you asked for. barren parking lots, huge big box stores with false facades, no public spaces worth a darn. Houses that are lucky to stay standing over time.

I have had more than my share of clients piss me off at old jobs, but so far my stint working amongst the developers and construction managers insulates me from a lot of client grief. But I think dealing with Cm's/PM's etc. who all WANT to pretend they are architects but don't know their head from their zipper end up making a sad joke out of the whole process. Face it, they all want to be designers and think they outsmarted Jesus Christ himself by creating the field of 'construction management' or 'project management'...to bypass the need to actually learn something about architecture......only to be coddled by the real estate man's big checkbook.

kind of a GMlike story.

Its hard to bite your lip and swallow with the decisions that some of those wannabes make. There is no concern for what the end user needs, only for monetary reasons and things, i.e. the CM's bonus if he trims another xxx$ from the project. And these folks have no sense of aesthetics, scale, anything. They flat out don't care. Let's just rape and pillage acreage to make a quick buck. Who cares what's here 15 years from now.

oh BTW Rob i did get your message, sorry I haven't replied. My mind is toast these days with all the crap I have going on at home and I am forgetting many things I need to be doing.

Edited by regfootball

I feel your pain. I used to run my own company (2 video stores) and although I didn't lose my cool very often, when an irate/unreasonable customer wouldn't back down, I would just point to the very big store across the street and tell them to go rent there. It felt great.

One time, an a-hole screamed at me in line for about 5 minutes while very patient people behind held their tongue. After the guy left, the woman behind him said to me that my boss should give me a raise and she wanted his/her name so she could commend me to them. I laughed and showed her my business card. I was only 25 at the time, so she could be forgiven for not thinking I was the boss.

We've been lucky recently... most of them have been decent.

Actaully the one person who still owes us money form 2004

Taxes is an old friend who up and dissapeared. He actually

did some work on my 68 Camaro back in ghe day.... installed

the temp/volt/oil press gauges & did some other basic stuff.

Well, I took a mental health day today...both this event escalating and a take-home final for a night class that's been kicking my butt. I will have to deal with jerk off tomorrow or Friday.

Have you had $h!ty customers and clients that could have put your job on the line?  Do you take it?  Do you put them in their place?

At the call center, we cannot "put 'em in their place" ... though, I would really like to at times. Sadly, we have to "take it" ... part of the reason why I need to find a new job ... pronto.

*sighs*

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"You better not try to stand in my way" ... J Paycheck ... 'Take This Job & Shove It'

At the call center, we cannot "put 'em in their place" ... though, I would really like to at times.  Sadly, we have to "take it" ... part of the reason why I need to find a new job ... pronto.

Can't you just hang up? You know, "Oops, hit the wrong button" unless you have to tell them your name at the beginning. They've dropped me a few times when I'm irate with their incompetence.

Well, let's just say the phrase "Welcome to T-Mobile Activations" has been known to be interpreted as a licence to be a total wad. I share your pain, Josh.

Edited by Petra

Can't you just hang up? You know, "Oops, hit the wrong button"

Sure...if I want to get fired.......

We're "graded" on how well we handle ALL calls....even the nasty ones.

I really really really need a new job....this one just might kill me ... literally :(.

Sure...if I want to get fired.......

We're "graded" on how well we handle ALL calls....even the nasty ones.

I really really really need a new job....this one just might kill me ... literally :(.

...However, you can transfer to another department. At least, I can.

...However, you can transfer to another department. At least, I can.

Nope, I can't ... at least not for another few months. I have to be there a year and a half before I can transfer to anther department (I started last July). And, by the time I reach that "milestone", my department will be under a new company (we were recently sold) ... and I'll lose that eligibility.

*shrugs*