Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Interested in a "cruising cruise"?

Maybe I'm one of the only ones, but I enjoy cruises that include _driving_ ... not just sitting & walking around looking at parked cars. The Sunday I returned from my road trip to the Eastern states (August 21), I attended the Elgin National Road Race Show, which included a "lap" that followed the old Elgin National Road Race.

With that in mind...& knowing that high gas prices will be a factor, is anyone interested in doing a "weekend cruise" of sorts...?

We'd drive a scenic route. One is in Illinois [I can plan routes for WI & IN/MI if anyone is interested]...people can meet up with us anywhere along the way...
* IL RT 20 W from the Chicagoland area to Galena IL.
* Eat lunch in Galena
* Cross over into Iowa at Dubuque
* IA RT 52 S
* Cross back over into IL at I-80
* IL RT 84 N back to IL RT 20

The invitation is open to a few message boards & others, so if we get enough interest, I'd be happy to make reservations for lunch in Galena. Also, we could "carpool" of sorts to save money on gas. And, if we have a good amount of interest, perhaps we could include some sort of fundraiser for the victims of Hurricane Katrina....

As for when, one of these weekends: September 24, October 1, October 15 or October 22.

If you're interested, let me know.... If not, that's fine, too ... it's just an idea ... I just love to be on the road ;).

Cort, "Mr Road Trip" / soon2be ex-"Mr MC", 31swm/pig valve/pacer
MCfamily.models.HO.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
IL & area MCs = http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/imcog/
"The life I love is making music with my friends" ... Willie Nelson ... 'On The Road Again'

In case anyone IS interested, a possible schedule for the IL cruise.... [I haven't had time to plan routes for IN/MI and WI yet....]

(Saturday)
9a ... leave Chicagoland area
12p ... arrive in Galena
12:15p-2p ... lunch in Galena
2p ... leave Galena
5p ... arrive in Moline IL area via Dubuque IA
5p-6:30p ... dinner in Moline IL area
6:30p-9:30p ... drive back to IL RT 20 from Moline IL area
(OR)
* Saturday, 6:30p ... find a local cruise and stay somewhere overnight
* Sunday, 10a ... drive north to IL RT 20 from Moline IL area

Personally, I'm leaning toward having it either October 15 or October 22.... And, I'm still considering possible fundraising efforts for Hurricane Katrina victims in connection with the cruise....

I think I have plans for one of those weekends, but even if I'm free, it might be hard to get away, w/ the baby and all. :( Please post your starting point when you decide on one, maybe I can send you off at least. I used to do this exact sort of thing when I first started to drive, I'd just wander off on Friday nights in my 78 Civic, and come back home at 1am or so, where my dad and his buddies would still be in the garage drinking and BSing. I think they all found my wanderlust amusing... :rolleyes:

HE, If this comes to fruition ... and all works out ... yes, I will post the adventures :). I, personally, think it'll be fun, but the response, thus far, has been mediocre at best. Guess gas prices are keeping people home. I don't blame 'em, of course, but I _have_ to drive ;). Course, I thought that doing some sort of fundraiser for Hurricane Katrina victims would be good, too...maybe not. Nick, Not a hijack at all ... I _want_ other areas of the country to "band together" to do something similar. I've always said it is great to meet people ... and, in my experiences anyway, you tend to find out you have more in commen than you think you do...! Mach, Starting point (for me at least) would be the Elgin IL area about 9amish, depending on how many are interested, etc. As for that wanderlust ... I have it BAD...he he heh.

Well... If it were in PA, I'd consider it. But speaking of which, I'm going to a Pontiac Grand Am meet in Allentown on the weekend of Sept. 24th. I had a thread about it... Anyways, activities include a mini car show, a BBQ, a cruise, and hanging out and drinking for the night. Everybody will be staying at a hotel (or in their car, like me, if they can't afford it :D ). Still, I'm not liking gas prices. That's the main reason why I've decided to sleep in my GA. Also will probably prevent me from drinking. Atleast they're coming down... It's back below $3 here, thankfully.

*sighs* blackviper and ocnblu ... I was very close to where you both are in PA when I was there a few weeks ago ... I was just south of you, blackviper ... and ocnblu, I drove right north of Lancaster on the Turnpike en route to NJ on Sunday, Aug 12.... blackviper...have fun at that meet!

The more adventurous of you should come into Los Angeles and attempt to tackle Crenshaw or the Sunset Strip on a weekend.

He he he....I suspect that would be more frustrating than anything...heh.

Alrighty...I have potential routes for both WI and MI, if anyone is interested. I have not figured out times or where we'd stop for lunch or dinner, but the routes are in place....

Wisconsin:
60 W out of Madison
35 N
90 W
26 S/E
9 W
76 S/E
18 E
133 S
151 N back to Madison

Michigan:
94 E out of Detroit area
25 N
13 N
23 N
(basically around by Lake Huron)

And, recap for Illinois, Saturday timeframe:
* IL RT 20 W from the Chicagoland area to Galena IL (leave 9a)
* Eat lunch in Galena (arrive about noon)
* Cross over into Iowa at Dubuque (leaving Galena about 2p)
* IA RT 52 S
* Cross back over into IL at I-80 (arrive in Moline about 5p or earlier)
* IL RT 84 N back to IL RT 20 (leave Moline area about 6:30p ... OR find a local cruise, stay somewhere overnight & head back to IL RT 20 Sunday morning)

Again, the invitation is open to several message boards & others. I'm looking into restaurants in the Galena area; I can make reservations if we have enough people. Also, I'll help coordinate "carpools" to save gas & have others to visit with during the trip....

Potential weekends for these 3 cruises:
October 1
October 15
October 22

I have a few ideas for fundraisers for the victims of Hurricane Katrina to tie in with the cruises.... So, if you're interested at all in this cruise, let me know.

The more adventurous of you should come into Los Angeles and attempt to tackle Crenshaw or the Sunset Strip on a weekend.

He he he....I suspect that would be more frustrating than anything...heh.

A Sunset night would be, since it barely moves, but Crenshaw ain't that bad.

I drive the more coastla section of sunset every day, the part after the 405 to PCH...luckily I don't go back the same way I come...i get off Sunset on the 405 south, on the opposite side of sunset it is usually backed up bumper to bumper every day...if I was to get stuck in it I'd be there for hours...that's why I just end up taking PCH home (my boss lives off sunset and works in sherman oaks, so I drive him from work to his house...) I just take Sunset and follow it all the way down to PCH and take PCH to Kanan and Kanan back to the 101...it's a little longer distance than going back to the 405 and then to the 101, but it takes me like half the time...

[quote name='LosAngeles' date='Sep 10 2005, 01:56 PM']
He he he....I suspect that would be more frustrating than anything...heh.[/quote]
A Sunset night would be, since it barely moves, but Crenshaw ain't that bad.[/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn't like it if it barely moves...he he he. I _hate_ "fighting traffic" ... which is why I so enjoy driving my older 4 MCs on the "backroads".... ;)