Item: 2016 Hyundai Genesis sedan

Previously I leased a trouble-free 2013 LaCrosse.  I wanted the new LaCrosse but it wasn't going to be out in time for me to start my work year up again, so I found a decent lease on a 2016 Genesis Sedan AWD with a 3.8L V6, and an 8-speed automatic.

Observations after having the car for a few days… steering is REALLY firm (not sure I like it on windy highways), and the car is not Buick quiet.  It’s quiet, but at 70mph, where the LaCrosse is silently cruising on a smooth highway, you definitely hear a little tire noise and decent amount of wind noise.  It rained lightly this morning while commuting, so I tried the wipers with rainsense.  They worked without a hitch, but I noticed the wipers dock below the hood.  Nice touch, which the 2017 LaCrosse does, but it makes me wary as the last car I owned that did that was a 1992 LeSabre… and the wiper transmission went one day (granted it was 11 years old), and the wipers were stuck in the up position whenever the car was off if you used them.  Then you could manually take them down when you shut the car off, but if you used them again, they’d “park” vertical.

The car has a plethora of little features, analysis screens, etc.  It literally tracks EVERYTHING you do.  There are a lot of premium details, inside and out.  The standard HID headlights are auto-leveling, the puddle lamps in the side view mirrors display the "Genesis" logo and name crystal clear on the ground at night beside the front doors.  There's a standard set of heated, leather seats and a heated steering wheel.  The back seat has this very large, substantial, soft armrest with storage and heated rear seat controls.  The car plays a musical fanfare when you shut the door, and one when you shut the car off.  The first cell phone call I received surprised me, because the standard ringtone (and there are several to choose from), is a piano playing, "Moonlight Sonata."

The ride is nice, premium, and solid.  The brake pedal is WAY too soft… the gas is a little odd… it has a big punch even with the lightest touch (it took time, but I’ve learned how to accelerate without jerking the car), but I feel like you don’t get that punch when you’re already driving.  That said, the car is never short on power.  The torque comes in low, and you definitely feel it more than with the LaCrosse.  The 8-speed transmission smoothly shifts, but is clearly geared primarily for making the car sporty, not to help the fuel economy; the fuel economy is disgusting… the Buick always gave me low 30’s on the highway… this: with mostly highway driving, I’ve averaged 23.1mpg on a half tank of gas.  I had some heavy traffic one afternoon so I’m sure that lowered me a lot, plus the car is AWD.

The base stereo is something GM needs to look at.  The base stereo in the LaCrosse was pretty pathetic.  I don't really blast my music, but I do look for rich quality and a nice sound.  You would think in a premium car you'd get that, even for a base stereo.  The Genesis gives you that with rich bass, crisp highs, and everything in-between.

Another thing GM needs to pay attention is how the dealer treated me and what they have to offer.  This is a Hyundai, remember that.  At any given time, 7 days/week, I can get a free car wash at the dealer.  There's a masseur and a manicurist on staff 3 days/week while you wait for service.  Free fresh coffee/espresso/cappuccino, muffins, cookies, etc.  The dealer was bright, spacious, well-laid out... I can't say the same for a few of the Chevy/Buick dealers I visited.  They seemed more "packed" and tight.

Right now I'm happy with my choice.  I still miss my Buick, and I know that I'll miss it more when winter rolls around.  This car has remote start via Blue Link (Hyundai's OnStar), but you can only remote start the engine and choose a cabin temperature.  You have the option to turn on the front defrost, but I loved how the Buick not only did that, but turned on the heated side mirrors, heated the seats/steering wheel, and turned on the rear defrost as well.  You can pay for a remote starter that starts by clicking lock on your key fob 3 times, but it's so incredibly expensive... approximately $795, which is more than 3 years of Blue Link which also has other features you can use.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I lot of current GM dealerships were built in the 60s and 70s.... their heyday....and haven't been upgraded substantially since. 

That is disturbing.  People are blowing right past them.  I wonder if Cadillac dealers are nicer... I've never been to one.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Paolino said:

That is disturbing.  People are blowing right past them.  I wonder if Cadillac dealers are nicer... I've never been to one.

The new ones are.... the one that still have Cadillac Oldsmobile Saab GMC signage up not so much. 

Cadillac needs ot force the dealers to update or close as I have yet to see any really nice dealers compared to the competition.

I agree with you that the Buicks are so nice and quiet.

• Agree 1

It's been a while since GM has been in dire straights... I thought they were doing significantly better.. I wonder why they haven't invested more money in the dealers.

1 hour ago, Paolino said:

It's been a while since GM has been in dire straights... I thought they were doing significantly better.. I wonder why they haven't invested more money in the dealers.

Because that's the dealer's job...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2016 at 4:25 PM, dfelt said:

Cadillac needs ot force the dealers to update or close as I have yet to see any really nice dealers compared to the competition.

I agree with you that the Buicks are so nice and quiet.

Buick just so has it going on...I would so own a Buick over a BMW, something I would not have said a few years ago.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Buick just so has it going on...I would so own a Buick over a BMW, something I would not have said a few years ago.

All one has to do is test drive the newest CUV baby and you are just in aw of how quiet, solid and nice they are to drive.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, dfelt said:

All one has to do is test drive the newest CUV baby and you are just in aw of how quiet, solid and nice they are to drive.

The Enclave is probably nicer than any European or Asian SUV, regardless of price.   GM is really, really getting these right.  And from the people I know that own them, the new Buicks are probably actually more reliable than gravity.  Bunch of people with well over 100K with nothing other than Brake pads, oil changes and tires.  No dashboard squeaks, rattles, loose trim pieces, nothing.  The only way GM could sweeten the pot would be to make the damned things self washing.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The Enclave is probably nicer than any European or Asian SUV, regardless of price.   GM is really, really getting these right.  And from the people I know that own them, the new Buicks are probably actually more reliable than gravity.  Bunch of people with well over 100K with nothing other than Brake pads, oil changes and tires.  No dashboard squeaks, rattles, loose trim pieces, nothing.  The only way GM could sweeten the pot would be to make the damned things self washing.

Better low end torque and fuel economy. The Enclave would do well with an optional 3.0TT engine and it would naturally carry over into an Acadia Denali Ultimate, Cadillac XT5 and eventual XT6 

The current motors just have to be wound up too high to get the beasts moving, and it hurts fuel economy in the process.

Sorry @Paolino.. we highjacked your thread about your new car.  How is the low end torque on the Hyundai 3.8 liter?  I've only driven the 5.0, but I understand the 3.8 is excellent on power. 

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sorry @Paolino.. we highjacked your thread about your new car.  How is the low end torque on the Hyundai 3.8 liter?  I've only driven the 5.0, but I understand the 3.8 is excellent on power. 

That's totally fine... it's a car forum... you were talking about cars. ;) The 3.8L has very ballsy low-end torque... it took me several days to learn how to hit the gas without jerking the car... you really have to feather the pedal.  As a matter of fact, I often drive in stop n go traffic in Eco mode because it's just easier to not jerk the car each time you hit the gas.  The car definitely has more low-end torque than the LaCrosse... honestly, it always seems to have power, no matter what speed.

• Agree 1