• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Drew Dowdell

Is the 238 Mile range of the Chevy Bolt enough for most of your needs?

Is the 238 Mile range of the Chevy Bolt enough for most of your needs?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 238 Mile range of the Chevy Bolt enough for most of your needs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes as a second car
    • Not Sure

57d7fd9a322c0_2017ChevroletBoltEV2.thumb

Chevrolet release the EPA estimated range of 238 miles for the Chevy Bolt yesterday.   A few publications released their experiences exceeding that, with some going as high as 250 miles on a single charge.

With most of the affordable EV's having ranges between 90 - 120 miles, a lot of fuss has been made over electric vehicle range anxiety.  So far, Telsa is the only manufacturer to offer vehicles with ranges over 200 miles, that are also supplemented by a network of free fast charging stations only for Tesla owners. 

While the Bolt doesn't have a manufacturer supplied charging network, there is a vast network of free and pay chargers out there. Plugged into a Level-3 DC Fast-Charger and the Bolt can take on 90 miles of range in 30 minutes, 160 miles of range in 60 minutes, or the full 238 mile range in 2 hours. Companies like NRG EVGo will let you do a 0 - 238 mile fill up for about $12.00 plus a $14.95 monthly membership fee.  While that is not as cost effective as charging at home ($7.20 at 12c/kWh for 60 kWh), I dare you to find any gasoline powered car that will give you 238 miles of range for that price.

When the Bolt was unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show back in January, GM said that it would cost as low as $30,000 after federal tax incentives.

So, for this reader poll, do you think the 238+ range of the Chevy Bolt would be enough for your daily needs? Hit the poll and reply in the comments below. 

Absolutely. The only times I drive more than 200 miles in a day are visiting my sister which I just looked up my address to hers and it's 335 miles. So I would definitely need a charge up in the middle somewhere. Other than that even a 100 mile day is pretty rare for me. With that said.. Having a 100 mile day being rare a Volt fits in there pretty well because MOST of my driving daily is only about 20-25 miles mon-fri and usually more on the weekends.

Too expensive for me as a second car, so it would have to fill a primary transportation role.  As a commuter car it would be fine if it is decent in snow because I would prolly just plug its little butt in every night, nestled in my garage (after professional installation of an electrical hookup).  But like for summer trips to the campground I would maybe need to rent a site with lectric and plug it in so I could get home, something I don't have to worry about with my internal combustion mode of transport, since it has about 420 miles range.  Then because the beach is so far away and there are no chargers at Assateague's parking lot, I would have to see if there are any places to charge the car in OCMD, hopefully at a spot to eat.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Back in 2014, Chevrolet introduced a small delivery van called the City Express. The new little can was the result of a marketing agreement between Nissan and General Motors for Chevy to rebadge Nissan's successful NV200 small delivery wagon.   But where Nissan did well, Chevrolet faltered and the City Express languished on lots.  Typical sales months for the CE were in the triple digits while by comparison, Ford moved as many as five times that amount with its direct competitor the Transit Connect.
      Automotive News reports that back in September, dealers were told to stop ordering them and as of February this year the last City Express rolled off the line and has already been scrubbed from the Chevy website. No word yet on if Chevrolet intends a replacement on its own platform. 
      Source: Automotive News
      Photo: GM, with Editorial additions by Drew Dowdell

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Back in 2014, Chevrolet introduced a small delivery van called the City Express. The new little can was the result of a marketing agreement between Nissan and General Motors for Chevy to rebadge Nissan's successful NV200 small delivery wagon.   But where Nissan did well, Chevrolet faltered and the City Express languished on lots.  Typical sales months for the CE were in the triple digits while by comparison, Ford moved as many as five times that amount with its direct competitor the Transit Connect.
      Automotive News reports that back in September, dealers were told to stop ordering them and as of February this year the last City Express rolled off the line and has already been scrubbed from the Chevy website. No word yet on if Chevrolet intends a replacement on its own platform. 
      Source: Automotive News
      Photo: GM, with Editorial additions by Drew Dowdell
    • By dfelt
      We are in the Golden Age of Auto's with a revolution that will see the gentle passing of ICE Auto's as they are replaced by the EV Auto. With today's small 2% plus market share, the EV auto is having a major impact on auto suppliers. 
      According to the director of product development, filtration and engine peripherals J.D. Kehoe of Mahle Filter Systems of North America, the ICE downsizing, 48V Hybridization and electric traction motors are affecting the development of future powertrains. Mahle's corporate strategy is to keep on top of all trends supporting the wide variety of options and yet that also comes with the added danger that if you make the wrong call, a company could be on the hook for millions of dollars in parts cost if they build and support the wrong tech version of any given powertrain.
      You have the success of the Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf and Tesla making up the 2-3% of global deliveries today and by 2023 the auto industry expects to have 205 EV models on the market replacing many ICE models.
      Manufactures have a wide range that specify from 200V to 400V based on the battery packs with each electric motor up to 134HP depending on vehicle design. 
      Mahle has grown their EV portfolio to off EV-oriented technology to OEM customers from high-voltage liquid cooled electric traction motors  that operate in the 400V to 800V range with power output up to 240HP with unlimited lifetimes as they are brushless designs that require little to no maintenance and they are working to increase their motors power density to have offerings up to supercar level.
      Mahle offers 48V IPM synchronous electric motors that can operate in a range of 42V to 52V to meet the needs of various designs for mild hybrid applications.
      Areas of instant growth that Mahle and other auto suppliers are hiring for is in needs of electric AC and heater systems that are low voltage demanding along with leak detection devices as all the new closed system EV systems have a new wave of monitoring to optimize performance / efficiency. 
      Example of this is the need to monitor battery-cell electrolytes that must not come in contact with water or humidity from the cooling system.
      While powertrains are expected to reduce as much as 75% in complexity and parts compared to ICE powertrains, electronics are expected to expand greatly in the various uses from monitoring subsystems to safety and occupant comfort.
      As auto companies look to reduce weight, use new technology material like carbon fiber and high strength plastics the needs to adjust and change quickly means the nimble suppliers will win the evolving change in consumer / commercial auto's.
      Wards Auto Story
      Mahle web site
    • By William Maley
      We know that the current Volkswagen Beetle will soon be heading off to the great parking lot in the sky sometime next year, and that a direct replacement will not happen. But there is talk about bringing back the Beetle as an electric vehicle.
      Volkswagen's design chief Klaus Bischoff revealed to Autocar that he has already made a sketch of a possible Beetle EV, but it will be some time before the automaker makes a decision whether to move forward with this or not. Some of this comes down Volkswagen wanting to get the bigger-selling electric cars into production first (see I.D. hatchback and  I.D. Crozz) before moving onto the 'emotional' models.
      “Our duty is to get the volume [ID] models under way. These cars have super-complicated technology and if you do too much, it’s an overload. Then we [can] move into more exotic cars and the field of emotion,” said Bischoff.
      If Volkswagen does give the green light for a Beetle EV, what could it look like? According to Autocar, the model could grow in size and get two extra doors.
      “The Beetle of today is a very attractive two-door coupé or convertible, but it is limited in the amount of cars that it can sell because it’s a niche. If you look at MEB, the shortest wheelbase [possible] is the ID [hatchback]. If you took that and did the Beetle on it, you have plenty of room so there’s no compromise in functionality any more. So it could be a very attractive car,” explained Bischoff.
      We know there is a fan of an electric Beetle, Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess.
      “We could [build an electric Beetle], because it is rear-wheel drive, no grille. If we wanted to do a Beetle electrically, it would be much better than the current car. Much closer to the history of the Beetle," Diess told Car and Driver back in October.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      We know that the current Volkswagen Beetle will soon be heading off to the great parking lot in the sky sometime next year, and that a direct replacement will not happen. But there is talk about bringing back the Beetle as an electric vehicle.
      Volkswagen's design chief Klaus Bischoff revealed to Autocar that he has already made a sketch of a possible Beetle EV, but it will be some time before the automaker makes a decision whether to move forward with this or not. Some of this comes down Volkswagen wanting to get the bigger-selling electric cars into production first (see I.D. hatchback and  I.D. Crozz) before moving onto the 'emotional' models.
      “Our duty is to get the volume [ID] models under way. These cars have super-complicated technology and if you do too much, it’s an overload. Then we [can] move into more exotic cars and the field of emotion,” said Bischoff.
      If Volkswagen does give the green light for a Beetle EV, what could it look like? According to Autocar, the model could grow in size and get two extra doors.
      “The Beetle of today is a very attractive two-door coupé or convertible, but it is limited in the amount of cars that it can sell because it’s a niche. If you look at MEB, the shortest wheelbase [possible] is the ID [hatchback]. If you took that and did the Beetle on it, you have plenty of room so there’s no compromise in functionality any more. So it could be a very attractive car,” explained Bischoff.
      We know there is a fan of an electric Beetle, Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess.
      “We could [build an electric Beetle], because it is rear-wheel drive, no grille. If we wanted to do a Beetle electrically, it would be much better than the current car. Much closer to the history of the Beetle," Diess told Car and Driver back in October.
      Source: Autocar
  • My Clubs