Drew Dowdell

Is the 238 Mile range of the Chevy Bolt enough for most of your needs?

Is the 238 Mile range of the Chevy Bolt enough for most of your needs?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 238 Mile range of the Chevy Bolt enough for most of your needs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes as a second car
    • Not Sure

3 posts in this topic

57d7fd9a322c0_2017ChevroletBoltEV2.thumb

Chevrolet release the EPA estimated range of 238 miles for the Chevy Bolt yesterday.   A few publications released their experiences exceeding that, with some going as high as 250 miles on a single charge.

With most of the affordable EV's having ranges between 90 - 120 miles, a lot of fuss has been made over electric vehicle range anxiety.  So far, Telsa is the only manufacturer to offer vehicles with ranges over 200 miles, that are also supplemented by a network of free fast charging stations only for Tesla owners. 

While the Bolt doesn't have a manufacturer supplied charging network, there is a vast network of free and pay chargers out there. Plugged into a Level-3 DC Fast-Charger and the Bolt can take on 90 miles of range in 30 minutes, 160 miles of range in 60 minutes, or the full 238 mile range in 2 hours. Companies like NRG EVGo will let you do a 0 - 238 mile fill up for about $12.00 plus a $14.95 monthly membership fee.  While that is not as cost effective as charging at home ($7.20 at 12c/kWh for 60 kWh), I dare you to find any gasoline powered car that will give you 238 miles of range for that price.

When the Bolt was unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show back in January, GM said that it would cost as low as $30,000 after federal tax incentives.

So, for this reader poll, do you think the 238+ range of the Chevy Bolt would be enough for your daily needs? Hit the poll and reply in the comments below. 

Absolutely. The only times I drive more than 200 miles in a day are visiting my sister which I just looked up my address to hers and it's 335 miles. So I would definitely need a charge up in the middle somewhere. Other than that even a 100 mile day is pretty rare for me. With that said.. Having a 100 mile day being rare a Volt fits in there pretty well because MOST of my driving daily is only about 20-25 miles mon-fri and usually more on the weekends.

Too expensive for me as a second car, so it would have to fill a primary transportation role.  As a commuter car it would be fine if it is decent in snow because I would prolly just plug its little butt in every night, nestled in my garage (after professional installation of an electrical hookup).  But like for summer trips to the campground I would maybe need to rent a site with lectric and plug it in so I could get home, something I don't have to worry about with my internal combustion mode of transport, since it has about 420 miles range.  Then because the beach is so far away and there are no chargers at Assateague's parking lot, I would have to see if there are any places to charge the car in OCMD, hopefully at a spot to eat.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Rolls-Royce has made it clear that it plans on introducing electric powertrains to their vehicles in the future once the technology has fully developed and customers want one. But new regulations are forcing their hand.
      Rolls' CEO Torsten Müller-Ötvös told Car and Driver that the Phantom will receive the option of an electric powertrain sometime during its lifecycle. The platform that underpins the Phantom and future models have been built with electrification in mind. 
      “We are more regulator driven than consumer driven. We might well see, in the next decade, some Asian markets closing down city centers to combustion engines completely. And then, of course, [electrification] is a must,” said Müller-Ötvös.
      Müller-Ötvös admitted that no one is clamoring for an electric Rolls at this time, but expects that situation to change in the next 10 years or so.
      Source: Car and Driver
    • By William Maley
      Rolls-Royce has made it clear that it plans on introducing electric powertrains to their vehicles in the future once the technology has fully developed and customers want one. But new regulations are forcing their hand.
      Rolls' CEO Torsten Müller-Ötvös told Car and Driver that the Phantom will receive the option of an electric powertrain sometime during its lifecycle. The platform that underpins the Phantom and future models have been built with electrification in mind. 
      “We are more regulator driven than consumer driven. We might well see, in the next decade, some Asian markets closing down city centers to combustion engines completely. And then, of course, [electrification] is a must,” said Müller-Ötvös.
      Müller-Ötvös admitted that no one is clamoring for an electric Rolls at this time, but expects that situation to change in the next 10 years or so.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt - Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.cheersandgears.com
      Pamela Fletcher VP of BOLT Program to Head GM Global EV Program
      Today GM announced that Pamela Fletcher VP of the Chevrolet BOLT Program will lead the new GM Global Electric Vehicle Programs. Pamela oversaw the Cadillac ELR program, then the Chevrolet Spark EV and the Volt 2.0 before leading the BOLT program. In her new role she will report to Doug Parks who leads the GM Autonomous and Electric Vehicle Programs and lead the launch of GM's more than 20 EV auto's over the next 5 years.
      Pamela also led the development team that created Super Cruise, the industry's first hands free highway driver assist system.
      Under Pamela's leadership, GM will grow their Zero Emissions program around the Globe.
      GM News Release
    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt - Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.cheersandgears.com
      Bollinger Motors Pure EV SUV

So you like the look of a traditional Land Rover or the brick G-Wagon and wish you could have an American made Brick SUV that was Green?
      Welcome to BOLLINGER MOTORS who this summer introduced their PURE OFF ROAD EV the Bollinger B1. Check them out
      Bollinger wanted to show off their testing of their new EV SUV.

Autoblog did a video covering the internals of this bad ass American Made EV SUV.
      AutoBlog Video

• By William Maley
      If there is one thing the Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne has been consistent on aside from changing his mind on a number of things is his dislike on electric vehicles.
      Speaking to reporters this week at the New York Stock Exchange, Marchionne said there isn't a viable economic model for electric cars.
      "We still don't have a viable economic model for delivering an electric car. As much as I like Elon Musk, and he's a good friend and actually he's done a phenomenal job of marketing Telsa, I remain unconvinced of a ... economic viability of the model that he's pitching," said Marchionne.
      Marchionne believes the costs for batteries and the various technologies need to come down to make them viable. Otherwise, automakers should focus on developing hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains. 
      "So how do we find a convergence of technology bringing prices of components down and allows us to price accordingly — or we need to navigate through this process in a combined way between combustion and electrification to yield at least a minimum of economic returns that allows for our continuity? The last thing you want is me to be successful selling cars for 24 months and then go bust. That's not a good story. Especially in a place like this which rewards economic success. Let's not sit here and design our own future in the tank. Let's try and do it properly. We will do all the right things. We are investing without making a lot of noise on electrification. We will combine it with combustion to yield the right level of CO2. But we're not betting the bank on going fully electric in the next decade. It won't happen," said Marchionne.
      Source: The Street

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)