Dream car garage...Friday Night Lights editon...

In this edition of dream car garage, you are the vehicle coordinator for a major Hollywood studio. They will be filming a mainstream movie similar to Friday Night Lights or Hoosiers (the Indiana basketball movie from the 1980's).  The movie will be set in a fictional High School in the Los Angeles area which has a wide variety of races, income levels, and social problems. The movie will be set in late 2016-early 2017.

You are being asked to provide 6 things here....5 vehicles, one vehicle color.

Vehicles will be needed for the following 5 characters;

Hank-African American, successful, 48, the father of students on the team.....he works as a booster and frequently helps coach the team as a volunteer.  He is kind of the stereotypical "was going to make it in the pros kind of a guy" until a College football injury many years ago.

Anthony-Italian American and smaller of frame, he is the teams kicker, who manages a game wining field goal during the movie and makes a few key plays...he is the kid everyone loves to pick on in a good nature sort of way.

Hector-A large and talented defensive player, he is known for getting a couple of good quarterback sacks every game, and is popular at school. he is the oldest of 7 and tries to keep his younger siblings out of trouble....often with a good bit of drama and anguish.

Coach Washington-Kind of a stereotypical divorced middle aged man whose life has gotten away from him after a divorce, he is rebuilding both his own life and the team. He has a lot of ups and downs both as a coach and as a human being.

Colin, the team quarterback, whose parents are of Hawaiian/Polynesian descent, he is a natural leader but often offends people because he suffers no fools and always tells the truth...sometimes to his own detriment.

Hanks daughter Chaise is a very feminine tomboy who loves football and is 16 years old. She hangs out on the sidelines, keeps stats for the team, and is one of the teams biggest fans. You have been given a grey ten year old Mustang GT convertible and told to paint it something that is eye catching and interesting for a 16 year old female main character to drive, and the movies producers have ruled out red and pink.

You have been given the credit card and one day in LA to buy 5 vehicles, and the guys in the paint shop are giving the mustang a final sanding and masking before painting.

What color does the Mustang get painted, and what do you buy for these 5 characters to drive? You are able to buy any vehicle you could find in LA on a days notice, but you must buy vehicles that somehow are interesting and fit the character. In other words, you can't go out and buy 5 Impalas or 5 Ferrari 458's..other than that...sort of wide open....

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Hmm, interesting. This will be tough. I like it.

Cool....my list will be coming shortly....I have a couple of other DCG ideas we can play with as well. I love the way all of you think about cars, and I think I learn some neat things off of everyone here...so I am curious WHY people pick what they pick....!

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Hahaha are we matching cars to people's classes/races/income levels??? Seems fun but hilarious at the same time.

Age and race was because the film has a diverse cast, not because we are trying to match to age and race. I wanted to get away from a typical small town setting where everyone might drive a RAM or F150 for instance....

This is mostly a test of YOUR creativity to find something other than typical vehicles.  That being said, in my list Hank drives a black Silverado quad cab which has been slightly modified...so you can bring in more conventional vehicles also...

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Hank has full-size SUV written all over him. He needs the room to haul people and gear all over the place. He's successful, but not flashy, and drives something that reflects that. He drives a Yukon Denali XL-

975745806-2013-gmc-yukon-xl-denali-ff.jp

Anthony is totally a BMW driver. He is part Euro, after all. He's a kid, so he's not rocking an M3 or anything. He's pushing something older, an E90. A 328i sans Sport Pkg that is the champion cheap BMW the world over. It's got cheap BBS reps like virtually every other E90 in existence at this point-

attachment.php?attachmentid=3635&stc=1

Hector is popular. That means he's probably a tool. And he's a bigger guy. What do big guys who are tools drive?? Why, Rams, of course!! And not just any Ram. A murdered-out one. It had to be.

3841df501cee89bea61a1579f425fd2cx.jpg

Coach is a rather square guy. After his divorce, he doesn't have the funds to keep up with the Jones anymore. But he's too proud to be slumming it in a Camry, so he's still rocking that 9 yo E Class he bought back when he was married to that hot blonde who was tired of working out every day to keep it tight and trim only for coach to have no interested in attending to her....uhm...needs.....anymore. Poor Coach.

WDBUF56X98B266844-2008-Mercedes-Benz-E-C

Colin is a car guy as much as he is a sports guy. He loves going out to the canyons for a fast drive to clear his mind after the stress of the game. He drives a Lancer Evo. A lightly modded X.

EvoX-Installed-01-02-01.jpg

Chaise's Mustang is super easy. It's teal. Teal, to be exact. A factory option color on the old SN95 cars. It's actually quite fetching-

e1b014cc61ac6858370e07fb1593a5ef.jpg

• Agree 2

Your list is somewhat similar to mine....but i actually like your list much better....

I picked a slightly lifted Silverado 4wd 4 door that I blacked out some of the chrome on for Hank....just because I could not see him driving a luxury car. He seemed more like a truck/SUV kind of a guy.

For Anthony I kind of saw a Neon SRT 4, but in car conscious LA, you are absolutely right, BMW, Euro.....

For coach I wanted something that suggested solidness and stability, even if his life is a little bit unstable, so I chose a Ford Flex....figured the Flex might have a nice on screen presence....but dammit if you are not right again, the older Benz is a much better choice!

i wanted some screen presence for my cars, so I chose two older Jeeps for my next two choices,

Hector I put into an older Jeep Cherokee, the vintage full sized one...

Jeep Wagoneer 1982 photo - 2

Again, Ram is a much better choice, probably much more modern and what he would really actually drive...

Colin I also put into a jeep, debated between a newer Wrangler and an older jeep CJ8 Scrambler....kind of wanted something that could be driven doors off in a few scenes....

jeep-cj8-cj-8-scrambler-frame-off-restor

Hollywood seems to love convertibles so much the better for filming scenes when people are actually driving them....but yes, EVO....that would be a fantastic choice!

The Mustang I figured would look best kind of a darker Purple...kind of like the MOPAR plum crazy color, only a little bit darker. That shade of teal was my second choice, fantastic color, was not sure if it would look a little bit washed out in bright sunlight on screen.

It will be really interesting to see what everyone else comes up with.  It is also making me feel a little bit old but not in a bad sort of way!), as I make so many vintage picks with these threads and a lot of other people make much more modern choices.

Thank you so much for your contribution, Frisky!

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

@A Horse With No Name

I admittedly totally picked the Teal just out of my own attraction to that color.

I can understand that....we had a gorgeous Mustang Notchback that color that showed up to a bunch of our autocross events...car was properly caged and had a really, really nasty small block...

Of all of the cars I remember from that time period in my life...that is one of my favorites. '

IMG_0043_1536x1020.jpg&Width=800&Height=

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I can understand that....we had a gorgeous Mustang Notchback that color that showed up to a bunch of our autocross events...car was properly caged and had a really, really nasty small block...

Of all of the cars I remember from that time period in my life...that is one of my favorites. '

IMG_0043_1536x1020.jpg&Width=800&Height=

That is Calypso Green, and was limited to Cobras, IIRC.

Sweet Fox, though!

Edited by Frisky Dingo