Jump to content
Cmicasa the Great

2017 Buick Lacrosse vs Volvo S90

Recommended Posts

BuisnessInsider

 

Quote

Two venerable names in the auto industry: Volvo and Buick.

Two names that have endured hard times. Volvo was bought by Ford before the financial crisis, after establishing itself in the US as no-nonsense purveyor of stolid, self-consciously unstylish (some would say boxy) yet very safe family sedans and station wagons. But Ford shed the brand, and it was up to Chinese carmaker Geely to sweep in and save the Swedish day.

Buick was the original General Motors brand and has been around for over a century. But it, too, went through a rough patch during the financial crisis and was nearly killed off by GM, joining Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Saturn. Buick was deemed too important for GM's China ambitions — in the Middle Kingdom, Buick is considered a luxury brand, not a mid-luxury marque as it is in the US, one notch below Cadillac in the GM hierarchy.

Buick survived and has thrived, riding a wave of surging crossover SUV sales.

Volvo is also back, with an impressive lineup of vehicles, including Business Insider's Car of the Year for 2015, the XC90 SUV. 

 

2017BuickLaCrosse011.jpg

2017-volvo-s90-mussel-blue-front-quarter-left.jpg

Dash 3_zpsagjgwx31.jpg

2017-volvo-s90-interior-dashboard.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An odd comparison to make given the price spread.  The Volvo is a fantastic sedan, I take it over and Benz and the CTS or XTS. So I suppose it is rather complimentary that they are comparing the LAX to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

An odd comparison to make given the price spread.  The Volvo is a fantastic sedan, I take it over and Benz and the CTS or XTS. So I suppose it is rather complimentary that they are comparing the LAX to it.

Well that's high praise up against the CTS or E-Class. In terms of performance the top S90 T6 only boasts one thing over a comparable CTS Vsport.. and that's AWD, but in truth one could easily get a 2.0L AWD or even 3.6L AWD CTS and come nice and close to the Volvo T6 performance, Furthermore I still don't think that the Volvo interior is that great visually. Its cool.. but that's it.. not to mention I won't lie.. I am not to cool with directly supporting a Chinese company. If U think its about me having a certain hate for the Chinese.. that's only partial.. I'm always domestic first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the LaCrosse.  Literally the only changes I'd like to see to the interior are a slightly larger screen, and a slightly nicer steering wheel... perhaps a little more brightwork, less black plastic.  I haven't heard the standard 8-speaker audio in the LaCrosse, but if it's anything like the standard 7-speaker from the previous generation, I'd like a better base stereo... that thing was WEAK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LaC interior pic is dark enough not to be able to tell much, but the Volvo's is not impressing me via the pic- it looks 'glued together'; I dislike how many components sit 'on top' of each other rather than be/look designed to be better integrated. For example- the wood piece on the pass side of the dash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Well that's high praise up against the CTS or E-Class. In terms of performance the top S90 T6 only boasts one thing over a comparable CTS Vsport.. and that's AWD, but in truth one could easily get a 2.0L AWD or even 3.6L AWD CTS and come nice and close to the Volvo T6 performance, Furthermore I still don't think that the Volvo interior is that great visually. Its cool.. but that's it.. not to mention I won't lie.. I am not to cool with directly supporting a Chinese company. If U think its about me having a certain hate for the Chinese.. that's only partial.. I'm always domestic first

As you know being the "ultimate" in performance for a given class isn't a priority for me. It simply has to be sufficiently satisfying as long as I like the rest of the car. I've driven the S90 twice now and loved it. 

@Paolino, you would really enjoy the ride of the S90, it is the cloud-like ride you've been missing.

About the Chinese, they're essentially the bank account and little else. The Swedes make all of the design decisions for their cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

As you know being the "ultimate" in performance for a given class isn't a priority for me. It simply has to be sufficiently satisfying as long as I like the rest of the car. I've driven the S90 twice now and loved it. 

@Paolino, you would really enjoy the ride of the S90, it is the cloud-like ride you've been missing.

About the Chinese, they're essentially the bank account and little else. The Swedes make all of the design decisions for their cars. 

Again I am not a fan of the car's design either.  Also I  have no desire to contribute to any Asian or European bank account if I can help it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@Paolino, you would really enjoy the ride of the S90, it is the cloud-like ride you've been missing.

It's a beautiful car... wish they'd make the LaCrosse have an option for a cloud-like ride ;) I looked up the S90... it has the option of a heated windshield.  This is something I've wished would be available in many cars, although I imagine it's quite expensive to replace if you had to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×