Well that was a bit rougher than I hoped

But it should be worth it...

We're now on the newest version of Linux server OS.

I've doubled the amount of ram.

I've doubled the number of processors and we've moved a couple generations newer.

We're now on Solid State Disk rather than spinning disk.

I haven't tuned the software to it's new roomier digs yet, so hopefully there is even more performance to be gained once I do. 

:metal: Awesome :metal:

Is this why the last few weeks, maybe even longer things were slower to come up? It was weird that I would click on my C&G link and it would take minutes to actually come up.

Right now, checking out the site everything is very snappy! :D 

7 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

But it should be worth it...

We're now on the newest version of Linux server OS.

I've doubled the amount of ram.

I've doubled the number of processors and we've moved a couple generations newer.

We're now on Solid State Disk rather than spinning disk.

I haven't tuned the software to it's new roomier digs yet, so hopefully there is even more performance to be gained once I do. 

Is it me or did we loose like some posts as it seems some stuff is just not there?

We use something called a VPS which is a containered server that shares hardware with other containered servers, all on one really big server. I buy a container of a certain size (CPU, RAM, Hard Drive) and that amount of capacity is sectioned off for me.  For Ram and CPU, that works well... we always get what we're paying for.  Disk space is a little more tricky, because while they can guarantee the amount of space we get, they cannot guarantee the performance of that disk. And that's where our problem on the old server started.

The performance of the old server was being degraded by being on platter disks on a busy server.  When you went to load the webpage, the server would have to wait till the disks caught up. Someone else on the same server container was having so much disk activity that it was causing long wait times for us.  Moving to SSD drives speed that process up. The wait times I'm seeing on the disks now are literally a fraction of a percent of what they were on the old server.  Some of that could be better neighbors, but I expect a lot of it is faster drives.

Since moving servers is a big process, I decided to take the time to upgrade the OS, add ram, and processor. The nice thing is that even with these upgrades, the monthly cost stays the same. 

Yes, a couple of posts could have gone astray. I did shut down the site to public access last night before I started the move, but certain users have the ability to bypass that block and still post. 

The performance is much better than it has been in the past few weeks... but we still have a problem... the Lexus forum is still coming up blank.