Item: 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4wd

Name: 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4wd
Category: Vehicles
Date Added: 2017-05-07
Submitter: caddycruiser

2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4wd

It keeps going...

Finally...a year after purchasing the 4Runner, it's back to looking "right".

May 2016, bought this 2001 SR5 Sport Black/Tan with the Safari rack on top, and random odds & ends needed, but running perfectly for $2k. Front corner was hit, flare missing, bumper twisted, tires all worn down & mismatched, unevenly, driver's seat post broken off from rust (one past owner did a driveway audio system & pushed a rubber plug out of the firewall, so it had a constant drivers floor leak), and such.

Over a year of tinkering, and a "Toyota whisperer" neighbor semi mechanic, it's back looking incredibly better. New bumper, new lights, new driver's seat, completely re-made audio system with an Alpine double din unit, Weathertech, etc.

Still not that much $$ out, and love it. 245k going strong:rockon:

Before:

IMG_9979_zpsswhgtger.jpg
IMG_0012_zpsiotsdsqh.jpg
IMG_0062_zpsjjdvscej.jpg
IMG_9983_zpsol4g372k.jpg

Now...with more updates to come. Steering wheel to stitch on, Dents, dings, etc, adds to the character. FJ Cruiser wheels, new tires, new audio, new fluids, new bumper & flare, a little polish...and now new Ventvisors. Keep it simple:

IMG_4561_zpsxu203wmh.jpg
IMG_4563_zpszd5dbgmn.jpg
IMG_4554_zpsva1tzcuc.jpg
IMG_4572_zpszvuiarka.jpg
IMG_4553_zps32j31tpp.jpg
IMG_4625_zps8d1ef6oq.jpg

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 10:19 AM, Frisky Dingo said:

@caddycruiser Nice, man!! Love the Sports. That's a great looking combo there. I have a 2002 SR5 w/ 204K miles I need to post some pics of. I bought it because I missed my 2014 Trail Premium so much. I replaced it with a new GTI early last year.

Even with minor "old car" issues, love this thing. Awesome!

On 5/26/2017 at 4:47 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

Old Pathfinders are super solid, too.

I considered those too...after I locked onto the 4Runner. A later one, 2001 style, would be more carlike with unibody and the 3.5L.

The 4Runner definitely drives like a bouncy old truck, but a very solid, perfectly sized one. Roll...down...back...window...huge...sunroof. And oddly? For me, very bolstered and comfortable front seats. Throw stuff in the back, keep cruising.

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Agree 1