Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevy Cruze (latest model) - Enterprise "part deux" ... of deux

O.k., so I reviewed the Chevy Traverse which I could have kept for the extent of the rental but didn't want to.  I'm not used to that size of vehicle.  And so I decided to go to Enterprise at the airport to try my luck at getting a regular ole car.  Surprisingly, there wasn't much to pick from.

I did see a new Chevy Cruze up by the rental station and thought it might be up there for a peculiar reason or some kind of issue.  I was really looking forward to driving one of those.  I went into this small office on the lot and told them that the Traverse obtained from a suburban location was just too big and hard to see out of - both true - and to see if I could get a car, and that the little Cruze parked there, actually below the standard category I rented, would work just fine.  They hemmed and hawed and then gave it to me.

Luck was on my side.  I had seen the new model around and found it attractive.  The styling and proportions are nice all the way around.  In fact, this is the only Chevy refresh that I like among its larger 3 sedans.

I checked and saw that the last Cruze I rented and reviewed here was a 2015 model carried over into 2016.  If that Cruze was a big step up from the Cavalier and the Cobalt, this new Cruze (probably an LT) is yet another respectable step up from the first-gen Cruze.  If you've driven the last Cruze, or any smaller to medium-sized GM car, getting used to this car and its controls is almost immediate.  The coolest thing is that the annoying pushing on the stalk to get engine and car functions is gone.  It is now on rubberized grommets on both sides of the steering wheel.  It's much easier to toggle through battery levels, tire pressure, fuel economy, and the like this way.

I remember when turbochargers dominated an engine compartment.  I'm thinking of the first turbocharger heaped onto an even firing 3.8 liter (231 c.i.) V6 engine and which was a big deal back in the day.  What a monstrosity!  In the Cruze, it's an unobtrusive cylindrical contraption that isn't too big and sits behind the radiator but in front of the transversely laid Ecotec 1.4 L engine.  The engine and the turbocharger work together in harmony.  There's no kick, whoosh, graininess, or anything that tells you it's kicking into action. At least, I couldn't detect anything.  Similarly, the 6 speed transaxle works seamlessly, with clean lower shift points.  It works like the transmission in a much larger and more expensive car.  Thus far, I was impressed by the powertrain.

Other great things about the Cruze are the seats suitable for long distance jaunts, an appealing instrument panel, good build quality, a silent enough cabin, and its being planted on the road nicely.  The latter is noticeably better than in the outgoing Cruze.  I had the opportunity to take the car into mildly hilly terrain with curves and it handled flatly, predictably, and with the engine and transmission working quietly at almost all times unless getting into the gas to pass someone or pick up some speed, at which point a muted but pleasing engine note came through.

From what I've seen of the reviews of the 2017 Cruze, they are largely favorable.  I agree with what I read, for the most part.  Here, you have a car that looks good, feels good, drives well, and doesn't consume much fuel.  I believe that on a tank with mostly highway driving and some city driving, I was able to pull in about 37 or 38 mpg.  This sounds like the makings of a winner to me.

WP_001743.jpg

WP_001817.jpg

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Bagged another one without much of a fuss.  One got to select from the line.  There was a silver one there.  It was a Premier, so it had the nice steering wheel, stitching, and finishes.  It also had a leather interior.  I didn't like that.

However, overall, I loved this car.

Side view 1

WP_004836.thumb.jpg.4fa886b319410fdb722021cb1c72fd6a.jpg

Side view 2

WP_004839.thumb.jpg.8f83cb93f3fe9783f41b61b80e88f01a.jpg

The rear lamps and rear styling in general trumps that of the previous first iteration of the Cruze.  These look svelte.

WP_004842.thumb.jpg.5c363242a3c203c60f07758a9d856292.jpg

Ford has a commendable dash in its Focus and Fiesta, but I like this a little more.  Its really simple and, if you need more info, you can "drill down" to get it.  I also like how easy the speedometer is to read.  I also set the speed alert so I wouldn't ever exceed 70 mph.

WP_004843.thumb.jpg.253bec7825c9468564786b50c9fe63d9.jpg

Grommets at left side of steering wheel for cruise control ... easy to use.  This makes for only one stalk and its only function is to work the lights and signals ... the steering wheel feels great and this stitched one should be standard on the LT, but it isn't.

WP_004846.thumb.jpg.e2be095766175ef854cdd0499fe6ac2e.jpg

Grommets at right side of steering wheel for displaying the info on the dash ... easy to get used to for "drilling down" through the information you want (battery, tire pressure, etc.)

WP_004844.thumb.jpg.75fa472995d4ec70da8d246abb564bb7.jpg

Wow ... what's wrong with this picture?  Everything makes too much sense.  I like how everything is close together, but also separate.  And I also like where they placed the button to open the trunk.  On my M.Y. LaCrosse, it's the exact same switch as the door locks ... you just keep pushing it longer ... I don't like that design. 

WP_004847.thumb.jpg.3a1cbee1b97f58c2248ffb8180403bc0.jpg

I love this center stack.  It's easy on the eyes.  Not as nice as that in a Buick Verano, but close.  You can see to the left that the Premier had the push button ignition switch.  Also, look at the stitching on the passenger seat.

WP_004849.thumb.jpg.41d0d5565e441d796c3eddb3d3f7b604.jpg

Nicely finished front part of the cabin perfectly suited for longer jaunts.  The same is true of the rear part of the car.  I'm guessing it would be better to be less than 6'-0" tall, though.

WP_005090.thumb.jpg.c64055320f442e9a99cdb758c1194964.jpg

Chevrolet has a winner in this new Cruze.  It's impressive all the way around.  I'm hoping it will grab some buyers who might be looking at the foreign equivalents.  This car kicks ass on any Corolla or Sentra if my memory serves me correctly.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It is indeed orders of magnitude nicer than the Sentra.

And, so is the gas mileage.  I looked at a spreadsheet I keep that tabulates how much I spend on a particular trip.  And, next to fuel purchases, I record the fuel mileage, since it's so easy to do.

On 4 fill ups, the Cruze got: (1) 35.21 mpg, (2) 38.56 mpg, (3) 33.19 mpg, and (4) 45.02 mpg (exclusively highway, cruise on, a/c off).  It sips fuel.

Also, on that last tank, I passed right by the very plant where the Cruze is assembled in Lordstown along I-80 where it's a turnpike.  Going west, the plant was on the same side of the highway.  I debated whether to pull over and take a photo of it, but that damn road is filled with highway trooper types.  Had I done that, I would have posted it!

• Agree 1

Wife loves her new Cruze hatch. Your Premier rental actually lacks a major luxury option group that includes larger touch screen, upgraded gauge cluster display, 9-speaker audio, and sunroof. Really takes the interior up a notch further.

The engineering in this car is really exceptional. The new SIDI 1.4T and 6A are a great pairing in this lighter chassis, though the hatchback is really begging for a 2.0T!

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, regfootball said:

nice pictures and a nice write up.  I like the new Cruze and i will probably look to take a spin in a diesel soon.

I hope they do well with the Diesel.