Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Morgan Stanley's Research Group say's Expect 1 Billion EV's on roads by 2050!

G. David Felt - Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.cheersandgears.com

Morgan Stanley's Research Group say's Expect 1 Billion EV's on roads by 2050!

No matter how one feels about ICE or EV's the market is in flux and the strain is going to be felt by the financially weak auto companies and auto suppliers. Morgan Stanley's Research group predicts that many existing part suppliers could be replaced by new startups. The story on another web site has the following 3 interesting quotes:

1. “We have modelled the global car fleet out to 2050. We see global car sales growing by 50% to over 130 million a year, and expect battery electric vehicles to make up 80% of global sales by 2050. Looking at the global passenger car fleet as a whole, BEVs make up 7% of a growing fleet by 2030 in our base case, rising to 24% by 2040 and 57% by 2050.”
  2. “For the OEM business model , BEVs are a game changer. Up to 50% of the value of the car could migrate from mechanical to electrical systems and electronics, and this transfer of power could challenge OEMs’ competitive position, branding and pricing. Our modelling of an illustrative OEM transition from ICE to BEV drivetrain suggests that price and volume pressures could push down ICE profitability sharply from 2021, as new BEV products cannibalise sales and pricing power, with potential for losses from 2028. BEV losses peak in our model in 2023 before production ramps on new model launches. The range of profitability outcomes is wide.”
  3. “Margin pressure is likely to be passed down the supply chain. Moreover, OEM suppliers for the powertrain, transmission and fuel systems face loss of content – much of the electrical / electronic systems in an BEV could be supplied by new competitors. On the other hand, technology change and outsourcing are typically opportunities for OEM suppliers.”

With the German auto companies spending billions over the next few years on EV auto's, the world is in for a rapid change of transportation. Are you ready?

electrek

• Haha 1

Chevy's Bolt EV has been around since late last year and is selling better than General Motors expected, but it still has to be charged either overnight or at a public charging location to provide its full 200 miles of range.

HA! HA! HA!

My 3.7 liter 305 horsepower internal combustion engined 6 cylinder in V configuration currently is just about running on an empty gas tank. I was too lazy to fill up yesterday evening...I could go to work tomorrow, probably even come home to which Ill probably be running on fumes...

Point is...I got...what...10 miles of range...

I dont got a gas pump at home...so...

Why is it a bad thing to charge your EV at home?

Im on a lap top currently...

I charge it at home...

My cordless drill...is charging at home...

So is my cell phone and land-line cordless phone...

The funny thing is...my next door neighbor has a Chevy Volt...2014 I believe...

He has plugged it in as we speak...

He will have...in the morning...what...30-35 electric miles to work with...I only have 10...

Thing is...I would LOVE to be able to plug in my car AT HOME AND NEVER MAKE A PIT STOP TO A GASOLINE STATION EVER AGAIN!

So...why does this article make it seem like its a negative?

Could it be that Honda does not have viable EVs to compete with the rest of the world...

You know....the Bolt is a FANTASTIC little car...So is the Volt...

Do they still make the Clarity and the CRZ?

Yeah...I thought so!

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Interesting write up and some very valid points.

Big Failure of the writer is research. A level 3 fast charge will give the BOLT 80% of the battery in 30 min, full charge in 45. 

Yes Level 3 fast DC chargers are rare on the east coast and midwest yet easy to find all over the west coast.

Like anything when auto's came out in the early 1900's and were expensive and gas stations rare to find. Charging time will come down, distance will go up on the battery packs.

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

BAM!  Just like an underground nuclear test!

Read my response my little blu friend, the writer missed a big part of the charging, everyone only hangs on Level 1 & 2 from home, they ignore the fast charging Level 3 out there now and the Xtreme Fast charging Level 4 that is being rolled out. XFS brings a 350 mile battery recharge down to 8-15 min depending on the type of cell used.

This is on par with fueling an ICE auto.