Mazda 3 ... not for me (extended test drive via rental)

I was in a weird predicament where transportation from point A to point B became questionable and I looked into renting a car.  Generally, you get soaked on short notice.  In this case, there was a very good airport to airport deal available and I selected an economy car, displayed as a Ford Fiesta.  I didn't care.  I just needed to get home.

When I got to the first airport on transit, I found out there weren't are economy cars around.  And that there weren't any compact cars around.  I'd be starting out with an intermediate.

I asked what sort of intermediates were around.  I was told that I could have a Corolla or a Mazda 3.  I've driven Corollas before.  It's been a while, but I remember that their steering and handling were vague.  Maybe that has been addressed.  I know that the Camry's steering has acquired more weight in it.   I asked the agent what he recommended.  He suggested the Mazda 3.

I would have to say that my initial impression of the Mazda 3 was probably on the positive side because of its resemblance to the Mazda 6.  I'd have to say that, after the rental, that's where it stops.

This unit had about 38,000 miles on it.  It was a sedan in the mocha-bronze metallic color with a black cloth interior.

I adjusted the seat, the mirrors, and studied the controls.  I could tell that I did not feel at home in the cabin and the cockpit.  The range in the seat's possible positions seemed limited.  More than that, I didn't like the dashboard.  The design of the instrument cluster, the climate control functions, and what was on the console did not seem cohesive.  The instrument cluster has a big central gauge with two oddly shaped ones on each side.  In the left one is a tachometer and it's really small.  I was trying to think of what this set up reminded me of.  In terms of its retro shape, it reminded me of a Ford Falcon or something of that caliber.  In terms of its functionality, it almost reminded me of some of the undersized indicators on the Smart car, which I've rented in Europe on more than one occasion.  The climate control zone, with its colors and oversized dials, reminded me of some European econoboxes I've rented when overseas, such as Opel Corsas and the like.  Then, there's a dial next to and behind the transmission lever.  If you think it's something to augment the transmission functions, I don't think that it is and sort of stopped messing with it.  In short, I did not enjoy looking at and sitting in this setup.

There is no doubt that, once underway, one knows what this car is doing.  Road feel is transmitted and it's not done in a subtle way.  I thought that, even though it was surefooted, the car's handling lacked refinement.  One thing that I immediately noticed was the travel in the pedal.  To pass, I pushed into the accelerator about as much as I was doing with a Ford Fusion I had immediately prior to this rental when merging or passing in more pressing situations.  As it turns out, the pedal quickly reached the firewall or its travel limit.  Again, this unit had 38,000 miles, so I was wondering if the car just wasn't running like when it was newer or if this was normal.  And, with all this mileage, there was a drone coming from one of the bearings or wheel well areas.  That made the car a little noisier.  I also did not care for the Pontiac-like orange back lighting on the instrument cluster, though I love many Pontiacs.  Dashboard lighting was discussed before on this forum and there were some "pros" about orange back lighting.  I much prefer blue or green dashboard lighting.

The exterior is o.k., given that it is a sibling of the Mazda 6.  However, the silhouette flows so much better on the longer Mazda 6.  I've never driven one but, of the Japanese and European $25,000 full sizes, I find the Mazda 6 and the VW Passat to be much nicer to look at than the Camry and the Altima.  I wonder if the Mazda 6 makes for a much better driving experience than the Mazda 3.  I also wonder how the highly vertical front grille would hold up if it brushed up against something.  We've seen huge departures from canted grilles sitting atop defined bumpers in so many cars.

At about 63 mph, the 4 banger spins at about 2,100 or so rpm.  Gas mileage for an almost all highway jaunt came in at around 35 mpg.

It's funny that this car is considered a mid-size for rental fleets.  The major reviewers consider it a compact.  US News ranks it 4th among compacts and praises it, though the overall numerical ratings in the race are now very tight.  The Cruze trails the Mazda 3 by a small margin and the Ford Focus trails it by a wider margin.  I much prefer the Cruze in this segment and, after that, I'd opt for the Focus.  Now having driven a Focus where the transmission wasn't misbehaving, the Focus was actually fun and economical to drive.  And I like some of the Focus's displays which show you a few tidbits of information at once in the square rectangular display box, not the mention the sculpting of the cowls over the instrument cluster and the center stack.

Based on this rental, the Mazda 3 is not my cup of tea.  The Americans seemingly have made some big strides in this segment typically dominated by the Japanese as of late.

I would totally agree with your review. My own takes have been anything but positive. Mazda has allot to do to catch up and I do not see them being able till they merge with another company as they are just too small and too short of funds to R&D better auto's.

I also do not see Mazda becoming a Luxury competitor.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a review of the Mazda3 here on this site too, and I agree, it's not my cup of tea either.

Asian car fanbois might as well head straight for the Civic, and Consumer Reports bangers are either going to buy an impreza or a Corolla.  And there are Sentras also.  

Focus even being dated holds more appeal and I could go on and on.

Quite honestly Mazda's relevance is become less and less evident to me each passing year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, regfootball said:

Quite honestly Mazda's relevance is become less and less evident to me each passing year.

I mentioned that I liked the looks of the Mazda 6.  I never really noticed it and, then, after having rented Camrys, Altimas, and Sonatas, I took another look at it.  It is the only one of their cars that I find appealing.  However, I've never driven one.  I'm sort of curious but I don't think it would bowl me over.  It's a good looking car ... especially in the dark metallic blue with a light tan interior.  The above was the first and only Mazda I've ever driven and I'll have to say it didn't make for a good introduction.

I'd like to drive one (a Mazda 6) once, if not just for a day.  I already know I don't like the dash.  I was once given a Sonata as a rental.  I don't like its overly safe and generic exterior styling, but it drove surprisingly well.  I wouldn't buy one, though.