Will subscribing avoid the formatting issues?

There was discussion in one of the threads about recent issues w/ the ad server and the bad formatting..it's painful to use the site with all the weird whitespace and the 'Unread Content' link scrolled off the side.   I tried subscribing, assuming that would be ad free, but the subscribe feature isn't working w/ PayPal...I just get an error. 

Yes I've been a "premium subscriber" for a few years now, but the site is riddled with ads for places I've been other than here.  Cars.com, Home Depot, Lowes, they all come along for the ride now.

I used to be a premium subscriber, but must have forgotten to renew.  I don't really mind the ads, it's the bad formatting and excess whitespace that makes it hard to read.. 

Edit:  I was able to subscribe (the PayPal connection still gives an error, had to use a CC).   Most of the ads are gone (still get the popovers at the bottom of the page).   The excess white space is largely gone, though the formatting is still off (Unread Content link is way off to the right and requires scrolling).  Oh well...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

37 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I used to be a premium subscriber, but must have forgotten to renew.  I don't really mind the ads, it's the bad formatting and excess whitespace that makes it hard to read.. 

Edit:  I was able to subscribe (the PayPal connection still gives an error, had to use a CC).   Most of the ads are gone (still get the popovers at the bottom of the page).   The excess white space is largely gone, though the formatting is still off (Unread Content link is way off to the right and requires scrolling).  Oh well...

As a Premium subscriber I saw the same few quirks you see now. Yet over the weekend, I did a clean install of 64bit Win 10 and with this clean install all the formatting issues went away. My work laptop still shows the weird formatting quirks and I think that is because it was a win 7 upgraded to win 10.

My gut tells me the software was probably never tested for QA on upgraded systems or older systems with lots of updates.

Sucks on the weird quirks but then Drew rocks at how he has kept this site going and at a low cost to the members. :metal: 

It looks fine on my iPhone and iPad.  It's on Safari and Chrome on MacOS that I see the weirdness.  I haven't checked on my Windows 10 laptop, but I try and avoid using Windows whenever possible. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It looks fine on my iPhone and iPad.  It's on Safari and Chrome on MacOS that I see the weirdness.  I haven't checked on my Windows 10 laptop, but I try and avoid using Windows whenever possible. 

My friend I am the opposite, I avoid at all cost anything apple. The weirdest interface to me that makes no sense to me.

Good thing we have windows and Linux. I always have options. :) 

13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

My friend I am the opposite, I avoid at all cost anything apple. The weirdest interface to me that makes no sense to me.

Good thing we have windows and Linux. I always have options. :) 

Unfortunately, my client is all Windows 10 and Windows Server.  But Remote Desktop from my Mac works very well.     What I love about MacOS is it is UNIX inside, so I have my favorite command line environment when I need it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Unfortunately, my client is all Windows 10 and Windows Server.  But Remote Desktop from my Mac works very well.     What I love about MacOS is it is UNIX inside, so I have my favorite command line environment when I need it. 

I can totally understand having the CLI, that is what I love about Windows 10 in Developer mode, I have a pure clean Ubuntu system, makes it so easy to access our Isilon OneFS storage systems that we build and do anything I want from a development side and yet still have the windows side that works seamlessly with corp email, internal websites, etc. Best of both worlds for enterprise storage work.

Before Dell bought us, Isilon allowed people to use whatever platform they were comfortable working on so we always had a huge mix of Windows, Apple and Linux laptops / desktop. 

Dell refuses to support rightly so any company other than Dell, so you have your choice of a corporate laptop / desktop with Windows or your flavor of Linux on it. Just a few Apple holdouts left and as those system die, they will be forced into the windows / Linux world and I suspect most will end up back on windows as the apple users are no Linux / Unix capable people. Mostly marketing types.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I can totally understand having the CLI, that is what I love about Windows 10 in Developer mode, I have a pure clean Ubuntu system, makes it so easy to access our Isilon OneFS storage systems that we build and do anything I want from a development side and yet still have the windows side that works seamlessly with corp email, internal websites, etc. Best of both worlds for enterprise storage work.

Before Dell bought us, Isilon allowed people to use whatever platform they were comfortable working on so we always had a huge mix of Windows, Apple and Linux laptops / desktop. 

Dell refuses to support rightly so any company other than Dell, so you have your choice of a corporate laptop / desktop with Windows or your flavor of Linux on it. Just a few Apple holdouts left and as those system die, they will be forced into the windows / Linux world and I suspect most will end up back on windows as the apple users are no Linux / Unix capable people. Mostly marketing types.

My client has a weird mix of Lenovo Windows 10 desktops, VMWare Windows 10 VMs (I have a dedicated VM that I RDP to everyday) and our server environment is IBM Websphere on Windows 10 Server.    I'd rather have IBM products on Unix platforms, but it seems to perform well overall on Windows 10 Server.    I loathe IBM products for their needless complexity (they really aren't DIY) but I've come to know them quite well..

I used to dabble in Linux at home, with Ubuntu, SuSe and RedHat..I got tired of dealing w/ differences in Linux distros and having to do a lot of sys admin.   I like MacOS for it's consistency and simplicity.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My client has a weird mix of Lenovo Windows 10 desktops, VMWare Windows 10 VMs (I have a dedicated VM that I RDP to everyday) and our server environment is IBM Websphere on Windows 10 Server.    I'd rather have IBM products on Unix platforms, but it seems to perform well overall on Windows 10 Server.    I loathe IBM products for their needless complexity (they really aren't DIY) but I've come to know them quite well..

I used to dabble in Linux at home, with Ubuntu, SuSe and RedHat..I got tired of dealing w/ differences in Linux distros and having to do a lot of sys admin.   I like MacOS for it's consistency and simplicity.  

Yes, both Apple and Windows have done well for consistency and simplicity. I also hate the various distros and weird one off things that tend to break the Linux world. Hadoop is a nightmare due to this.

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Would a CyberMonday sale on membership encourage more people to sign up for the Ad-Free version of the site?

Very cool, I like that Idea and hope it would drive membership. Worth a Try!