Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

That time again

Olds Guy

Good evening!  Its been a while since Ive posted outside the Merchandise forum.

My lease on my '17 Traverse is coming to an end in the next couple months.  Once again, I am not finding many good deals on GM vehicles at the moment.  I am holding out a little longer, to see how incentives go.

I just cant fathom that the same trim level Traverse in the new body style is ~125-150 more a month. Last time I ran into this with the car, I ended up buying a Charger since I couldnt get what I wanted from GM. Now on my third Charger, I dont regret it.  I have been seeing ads for the new '19 Ram with a great lease price. Could I end up with no GM vehicles in the next two months?  Hard to imagine, as someone who never bought anything but GM forever.

Anyone else running into similar?

• Agree 1

I'm not in the market but think about what it would like to be in the market.  Currently, GM has only three brands that make cars.  I can't afford a Cadillac.  Buick is down to 2 cars.  And models that I would have found acceptable in Chevrolet are no longer that interesting to me, with the Cruze being their only car I like and which has surprised the hell out of reviewers and consumers alike, as in "thumbs up."

Right now, one of the few vehicles out there that I could see owning would be a Dodge Charger in base form and with the V6 engine. Five or ten years ago, I would have thought that to be blasphemy.  I find GM's offerings to be either too esoteric, too pricey and full of complicated gizmos, too electric/hybrid, or too bland for my tastes and needs.  They don't have much in good bread and butter cars at this time, IMO.

The Charger has gotten long in the tooth, though refreshes have made it better.  The concept for their next rendition is pretty wild.  I don't know how/if it will grow on me.

Just last Saturday, I test drove a 2019 Colorado Z71 extended cab at a local dealer.  They offered me what I thought was a fair deal to trade my Jeep on it.  I could tell immediately that the newer version of the 3.6, coupled with the 8 speed auto, is a real improvement over my 2015 Colorado.  I left the dealership to head to the bank to pull money out while they were to clean it up and remove the front air dam.  But when I got to the bank I sat in my Jeep and came to the conclusion that I should not go through with the purchase, so I rushed back and let them know, before they altered the truck.  With an MSRP of $36,395, they were going to sell it to me for $34,000.

Those who've been around here a while know that is unusual for me to walk away from a chance to drive something new.  I've had so many new vehicles.

At 27,500 miles, I instead decided to put a new set of tires on my Jeep, as the OEM Firestones have been problematic.  I sprung for Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, in the stock size of 225/60R17.  They have considerably improved the driving feel of my vehicle, and although I was concerned about a drop in fuel mileage with all-terrain tires, it has not materialized so far according to my DIC.  And they toughen up the looks just a little bit.  I've heard nothing but good reviews from people I know who use this tire.

Then I saw on cars.com a dealership in Annapolis, MD is selling 2019 Ram Quad Cab Hemi Big Horn 4X4s, MSRP over $44k, for $34k.  I realize there is not as much room to deal, pricewise, on a Colorado as a fullsize, but suddenly I felt like the Colorado deal was not so great after all.

FCA must be telling dealers to sell as many Rams as possible since the competition is suddenly so hot among fullsize trucks.  I would love to have the Ram at that price, for sure, but the reality is it will not fit in my garage, and the fuel mileage, even with the 3.21 rear end, would likely not top 20 MPG, and with my commute, I would definitely feel the hurt.

Good luck in your search, Olds Guy.  The Ram 1500 is a sweet rig.  GM rarely has any favorable lease terms that I've seen.