Ural Electric Bike with Sidecar!

David

Autoblog Ural Review Story

ural-electric-prototype-sidecar-motorcyc

Lets get the details out of the way first for the Bike riders.

• 60 Horsepower
  • 81 pound-feet of torque
  • weight 822 lbs
  • top speed 88 mph
  • Range 103 miles per charge on the 19.5 kWh battery pack
  • Recharge time 13 hours on a 110 wall outlet

Now Ural sells bikes here in America and while some here might say what a wimpy electric motor, the electric bike is very fast as the ICE bikes only have 41 HP and 42 lb-ft of torque. So the EV is a big gain over traditional ICE bikes. To quote the CEO, this bike accelerates very quickly from a hard launch for a Ural.

Ural Electric Prototype sidecar motorcycle

Ural Electric Prototype sidecar motorcycle

Currently these bikes are being developed here in Washington.

3 minutes ago, Windstorm said:

That's lovely!

Agreed, it is an awesome bike that I can so see being popular not just on rural day trips but in the inner city. Talk about easy to get around with no smell.

Yes, 15-20k for a basically utility electric bike is way too much.   Also, it lost 2WD so will be not as good off-road as the original.  

It is cool for the novelty aspect but that's about it.

If anything I would take the original one, even though it is also overpriced at $12-14k if I am not mistaken,

12 minutes ago, ykX said:

Yes, 15-20k for a basically utility electric bike is way too much.   Also, it lost 2WD so will be not as good off-road as the original.  

It is cool for the novelty aspect but that's about it.

If anything I would take the original one, even though it is also overpriced at $12-14k if I am not mistaken,

This is very confusing to me:

"A two-wheel-drive Gear Up runs $16,499"

"And Ural fanatics may very well be disappointed that this EV is powered by a single wheel with no option for on-demand power from the sidecar wheel."

28 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

This is very confusing to me:

"A two-wheel-drive Gear Up runs $16,499"

"And Ural fanatics may very well be disappointed that this EV is powered by a single wheel with no option for on-demand power from the sidecar wheel."

In the original Ural there a link from the bike's rear wheel to the sidecar's wheel, making it a 2WD bike.  This makes it to handle off-road (or bad unpaved roads) very well, something that is important in rural Russia.

2014_Ural_Gear-Up_River.jpg

2010-Ural-GearUpa.jpg

Edited by ykX

53 minutes ago, ykX said:

In the original Ural there a link from the bike's rear wheel to the sidecar's wheel, making it a 2WD bike.  This makes it to handle off-road (or bad unpaved roads) very well, something that is important in rural Russia.

2014_Ural_Gear-Up_River.jpg

2010-Ural-GearUpa.jpg

Oh yeah, I knew what the 2WD was for. I was just saying the wording was funny because within the same paragraph it says you can get 2WD and it also says you cannot get that on the EV Ural. 

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Speaking of 2WD motorcycles, I remember reading about one a long time ago called the Rokon Ranger or similar...really rugged for off road...one Car & Driver article claimed it could climb trees...

Rokon Scout and Ranger, amazingly they have front wheel powered.

Rokon-Trail-Breaker-action-7-590x393.jpg

Rokon-Trail-Breaker-Dirt-Bike-01.jpg

If I'm buying old-school and retro I'm buying something like this. 

Royal Enfield2034178455_RoyalEnfield1.jpg.17155e01871998286f26c9966393dde5.jpg909151887_RoyalEnfield2.jpg.c312dbf37ff38fe63c2dc69398e9c974.jpg508172615_RoyalEnfield3.jpg.f8fbcdbd7b985dec19e7d5bfc9b334b7.jpg2064771429_RoyalEnfield4.jpg.90af69ce38aa2ebd18da4a098af2997e.jpg

"Royal Enfield was quick to point out that the bike, as it stands, is a concept and not slated for production. It's still made out of feasible parts, and the badging appears to show that the engine in it is a new 838cc v-twin with oil cooling, rumored to be based on a collaboration with Polaris. "