Has anyone tried Opera browser recently?  I have been for a few days after some frustrations with Chrome and I'm really liking it.  One thing I notice is that it uses a lot fewer computer resources than either Chrome or Firefox because my computer's cooling fan no longer kicks on when I have 6+ tabs open. 

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Has anyone tried Opera browser recently?  I have been for a few days after some frustrations with Chrome and I'm really liking it.  One thing I notice is that it uses a lot fewer computer resources than either Chrome or Firefox because my computer's cooling fan no longer kicks on when I have 6+ tabs open. 

I have used it, I have mixed feelings about how it works. Some things I love, others make me go Hmmmmm. 🤔

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They recently redid the browser and it's much better

Just finished getting it updated from when I last tried it 6 months ago, Very different interface, I see they still have the home page of all things advertised. Will play with it and see how it goes as I have recently started to hate the way Chrome and Firefox works and Edge just does not deliver either.

One thing I'm sorely missing is my Grammarly plug-in that I use to help my writing. Other than that, I'm very happy with Opera so far.   I've just been typing my articles in word first before cut-pasting them into Opera.  It's an extra step, but I'll take it for a browser that isn't bugged out. 

• Thanks 1

I am enjoying this updated Opera way better than any others so far. Gonna stick it out and see how long before they piss me off again.

But for plug-ins I see lots of options for stuff here:

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/

@Drew Dowdell Seems your desire is what others have figured out. Follow this thread to get Grammarly plug-in installed on Opera.

https://forums.opera.com/topic/26251/opera-grammarly-extension 

Use this one as the actual thread

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/install-chrome-extensions/ 

Let me know how it works for you.

27 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I am enjoying this updated Opera way better than any others so far. Gonna stick it out and see how long before they piss me off again.

But for plug-ins I see lots of options for stuff here:

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/

@Drew Dowdell Seems your desire is what others have figured out. Follow this thread to get Grammarly plug-in installed on Opera.

https://forums.opera.com/topic/26251/opera-grammarly-extension 

Use this one as the actual thread

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/install-chrome-extensions/ 

Let me know how it works for you.

AWSOME! That worked! Thank you!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

w00t! This worked for the Hootsuite extension as well.  I'm really liking this brower, websites feel a lot more snappy.

Agree, I seem to bounce around much faster than chrome or firefox has been lately. I am much happier using Opera.

Haven't used it in a while, mostly stick w/ Safari on my home laptop.   With work I've been dealing with compatibility issues this week on a new application and Edge, IE, Firefox, and Chrome...as always, IE is the problem child.  Will be glad when IE no longer has to be supported.. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Haven't used it in a while, mostly stick w/ Safari on my home laptop.   With work I've been dealing with compatibility issues this week on a new application and Edge, IE, Firefox, and Chrome...as always, IE is the problem child.  Will be glad when IE no longer has to be supported.. 

At work they keep replacing the IE and Edge icons on my taskbar even though I've deleted them.  GO AWAY!

Sadly, I'm not allowed to use Opera at work, but I just bring my personal laptop and use that for a lot of stuff. 

• Agree 1

We are moving finally to our single global domain dell.com as the Legacy side of EMC and Dell go away over this whole year. One of the first deaths that everyone was happy was the removal of IE. Lucky for me we are allowed Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Opera as our browsers of choice. The few people on Apple laptops have all been informed they have to exchange them with Dell XPS notebooks by the end of the year. Not many of them are happy about it, but understandable that Dell does not want to support Mac. lol

I am very happy with Opera and liking it on both work and home systems.

7 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Safari is fast, no doubt about that. Just not available on windows anymore. My next laptop (in a few years) will likely be a Mac. My HP Envy is still an excellent performer 3 years later. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Safari is fast, no doubt about that. Just not available on windows anymore. My next laptop (in a few years) will likely be a Mac. My HP Envy is still an excellent performer 3 years later. 

My Lenovo W530 is still running strong, course 1TB SSD drive x2 and 32GB of ram so I figure this laptop will still go another 3-5 years for me. Probably will be forced by the company to move to a newer Dell Laptop in the future, but for now after 5yrs, this thing rocks.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

My Lenovo W530 is still running strong, course 1TB SSD drive x2 and 32GB of ram so I figure this laptop will still go another 3-5 years for me. Probably will be forced by the company to move to a newer Dell Laptop in the future, but for now after 5yrs, this thing rocks.

I have the same laptop at work, proc might be a bit old at this point but it is still a beast with all the RAM and SSD, good for a while yet.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, frogger said:

I have the same laptop at work, proc might be a bit old at this point but it is still a beast with all the RAM and SSD, good for a while yet.

Yeah, hardware is finally lasting longer these days, less reason to upgrade.

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...

So, after a while, I gave up on Opera again.  But Chrome and Firefox were still giving me trouble.  I don't want to reformat my computer just because Chrome is acting buggy, so I tried out Edge.

It's *gasP* finally good..... really good!  One thing I notice about it is that my laptop runs a lot cooler than when running Chrome. I can tell because I can't even hear the cooling fan anymore when I'm surfing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So, after a while, I gave up on Opera again.  But Chrome and Firefox were still giving me trouble.  I don't want to reformat my computer just because Chrome is acting buggy, so I tried out Edge.

It's *gasP* finally good..... really good!  One thing I notice about it is that my laptop runs a lot cooler than when running Chrome. I can tell because I can't even hear the cooling fan anymore when I'm surfing. 

I am still using Opera on my desktop at home, but have gone to Edge also. Mixed feelings about bookmarks and little details, but over all Edge is working actually pretty good too. Mixed as Opera does stuff nicely that Edge does not do but Edge does stuff Opera does not. All little nit picking things. Firefox is dead to me, having way too many problems with it. Chrome seems to be hit or miss based on the build. Very weird.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:06 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Heading back to Opera or Chrome, not happy with Edge. Seems to not give me the unique icons for my bookmarks. I cannot just drag and drop a tabout of a browser and have it become it's own page like in Opera or Chrome. A bunch of other nuances. 

39 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Heading back to Opera or Chrome, not happy with Edge. Seems to not give me the unique icons for my bookmarks. I cannot just drag and drop a tabout of a browser and have it become it's own page like in Opera or Chrome. A bunch of other nuances. 

I've been pretty happy with Edge still.  I need to import my bookmarks still.

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've been pretty happy with Edge still.  I need to import my bookmarks still.

Good Luck, let me know how it goes as I imported, they got alphabetized and all were given grey stars, even after visiting a web site, edge does not seem to pick up that sites unique icon if they have one. Trying to organize them on most popular to least did not work well for me.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Good Luck, let me know how it goes as I imported, they got alphabetized and all were given grey stars, even after visiting a web site, edge does not seem to pick up that sites unique icon if they have one. Trying to organize them on most popular to least did not work well for me.

I organize them alphabetically.