Toyota News: Toyota and Suzuki to Share Platforms for Overseas Market

Toyota and Suzuki are teaming up to share platforms and parts for markets other than the U.S.   

Suzuki will get two hybrid platforms for Europe.  Toyota will build vehicles on their RAV4 and Corolla Wagon platforms and also supply hybrid powertrain tech to Suzuki for use in other vehicles. 

Toyota will get access to Suzuki's new engine range designed for use under the new stricter EU emissions standards. Toyota will build the engines themselves in Poland. 

The two automakers are working together to build a two new compact vehicles for the India and four for the Africa markets. 

ee7359b3-toyota-suzuki-agreement-768x543.jpg

View full article

This makes total sense and I expect to see more tie ups between auto companies to cover global markets as costs rise and profits are squeezed. It will be interesting to see who ends up on top in the future.

India I can see going EV's sooner rather than later to deal with their dirty air issues.

Africa, I do not see EV's happening in the next 100 years there until they can accept and stop killing each other. One market that is scary based on the amount of civil war.

Interesting that Suzuki has already created a motor that meets the new stricter emission standards.

I can easily see both of these companies moving to a single platform to share among both companies.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:44 PM, dfelt said:

India I can see going EV's sooner rather than later to deal with their dirty air issues.

OMG not again

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Suzuki should never have left the U.S. market.  They at least had some semi-unique offerings. 

I am of the firm belief that GM ruined Suzuki in the USA, with the crap GM forced on them.  They would be in a very good position in the USA now, with their SUV/CUV heavy lineup.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

OMG not again

I am of the firm belief that GM ruined Suzuki in the USA, with the crap GM forced on them.  They would be in a very good position in the USA now, with their SUV/CUV heavy lineup.

While the XL7 wasn't great, the Frontier based Equator actually looked good and has some (minor) interior improvements over its host Nissan.  The SX4 was a unique entry for those who needed a small car and AWD at a time when that was a relatively rare combination.  Plus the Kazashi was a great little sedan that just needed a bit more power to be perfect for its size. It never was going to be a camry beater, but it didn't have to be. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ocnblu said:

Reno, Verona (both Daewoo products foisted on Suzuki by GM) and Theta-based XL7 were complete disasters.  This triple threat sunk Suzuki here in the USA.

Right... I'm pointing out the good spots in the Suzuki lineup for why they should have stayed. 

18 hours ago, ocnblu said:

OMG not again

Reality, reality, India has some of the worst pollution right behind China and India has already given some strict mandates as like China they are pushing an EV agenda. So yest, I see this country changing faster than others to EV's as currently they use allot of 2 stroke dirty motor mopeds and cars.

Reality, having been there, it is bad to breath in the cities especially.