Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Quick question about a 2015 LaCrosse...

I have a quick question and I'm hoping someone can help.

I know for 2016, the Buick LaCrosse got Android Auto/Apple CarPlay

Could a 2015 LaCrosse get an update to utilize Android Auto/Apple CarPlay or is it a different radio altogether?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Paolino said:

I have a quick question and I'm hoping someone can help.

I know for 2016, the Buick LaCrosse got Android Auto/Apple CarPlay

Could a 2015 LaCrosse get an update to utilize Android Auto/Apple CarPlay or is it a different radio altogether?

Thanks!

No, the hardware is not backwards compatible apparently. 2016 Is the earliest you can go and get those. 

24 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No, the hardware is not backwards compatible apparently. 2016 Is the earliest you can go and get those. 

Wonder if a 2016 radio could be bought and fit into the 2015? 🤔

36 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Thanks

19 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Wonder if a 2016 radio could be bought and fit into the 2015? 🤔

That's interesting... I wonder if the dealer would do it.  There's a great deal on a low-mileage 2015 LaCrosse leather.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't think it is possible. 

52 minutes ago, Paolino said:

To swap a 2015 radio with a 2016?

Seems that they do use the same part number nav system so you could get a 2016 with Android / apple and put it into the 2015 car. I checked a few other GM OEM part sites and they all use the same part number. Like Drew, not sure why the 2015 cannot be upgraded to work with the system but 2016 does say it is compatible. The radio / antenna components for Digital Audio are the same too. Very interesting

image.png

image.png

14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Exactly. I think it requires an ECU swap. At that point you're better off paying slightly more for a '16.

Just looked up and the 2015 and 2016 use the same ECU part number. This is very interesting as it does make me scratch my head on why the 15 could not get the phone feature. Will have to dig into this more later as I am really wondering why. 🤔

image.png

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Something is up because those should not be the same part number. 

I did some more research @Paolino and yes you can swap it without an ECU change. It looks like it would cost $600 to $800 to do. 

Thanks for posting, seems you can buy and pay the dealer to program and install it or in the thread you posted there is a person who will send the unit programmed and you just have to plug n play to swap out head units.

QUOTE:

Every 2014+ has intellilink. You do not need to specify it like the older generations do image.gif

If you have no nav, then you have RPO IO5. The HMI part number I gave you would upgrade you to RPO IO6.
RPO IO6 is the same system you have now but with the factory nav option. 
Your icon for on*NAV will change to just "Navigation" as the unit has a nav application and maps built into it.

If you use a NG2.5 HMI with IO6 (the part number I sent you), you will add Android Auto, CarPlay, and Navigation to your current system.

You will loose the Time Shift Radio functionality.

You will need to add a nav antenna (the blue connector)

No it is not hard. If you have ever put a radio in a car before you can handle this. It is a plug and play upgrade.

You can purchase it preprogrammed from Chris@whiteautoandmedia or you can go the DIY route and procure it yourself and have someone program it locally.