Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Paint Damage...

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

Okay, yesteraday after giving the Dakota a good exterior cleaning at the car wash, I notice some pretty nasty areas on the roof and hood of the truck.

Here. Take a look for yourself.

The hood:

Posted Image

The roof:

Posted Image

Another part of the roof:

Posted Image

Okay, yeah, I guess it could be much worse, but this still requires new paint on the roof and hood. I mean, just look at the roof. It's stripped down to the primer in one spot.

I guess what I need to ask is, what will it cost to get the roof and hood repainted?

Edited by YellowJacket894

If it's just a beater and you're not a perfectionist

then MACCO is your best friend... have them spray

the whole car for like $300.

If it's just a beater and you're not a perfectionist

then MACCO is your best friend... have them spray

the whole car for like $300.

Yeah, if you don't want your paint to last.

My friend's Neon (in that one thread) was bought about two years ago and the people said it had brand new paint and everything from Maaco. Well, two years later and the paint is chipping off all over, discoloring, and rusting though. Not only that, but they had oversprayed all over the grey plastic pieces (handles, etc.)...

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, that's out, then.

Damn, I'm cheap. :D

But, then again, what does it matter? I'm just borrowing this...

(Although this did happen while the truck was in my possesion. My old man probably will expect me to pay for it...)

I don't know. I guess the worst part of this is that I can't figure out how it happened. I never really much noticed it until after the damn thing had been washed. I doubt it was anything to do with the carwash, etc. My old man thinks it was bird crap... or maybe eggs.

Edited by YellowJacket894

That is clearcoat degradation, brought on by solar energy, and it doesn't happen overnight, but over years. The white is the clearcoat after it is broken down. As far as I know, only thing to do is strip the affected areas to bare metal and start over. There used to be a lot of this across most manufacturers, not so much anymore. MAACO is not a good choice. They don't even go by the paint code on your vehicle... they mix up their own, substandard "paint" approximating your color and slather it on, usually painting trim, handles, etc. Edited by ocnblu

The Key with MACCO is this.

1. mask the car yourself... (emblems, trim, windows... etc.)

2. Slip the manager an extra $100 to hook you up wiht a decent job.

I was told this by a bodyman who sugested I do a temp. paint job

on my Camaro untill the new quarters go on... now that's not an

issue since I'm selling the car.

Guest YellowJacket894

So it's basically sun damage, huh? Damn.

If that's the case, I'm not that surprized. My old man let this thing just sit in the driveway for about half a year until I started driving it.