Do I have any recourse?

RBB

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some advice from any lawyer/car-dealer-type people on here. I bought my car in March of this year - see the pic below, as it accurately depicts the car right after I got it. I got a ticket over the weekend because the tint on the front windows is too dark. It's a 35% tint, and according to the officer who pulled me over (really nice guy, BTW. Nothing against him), state law limits tint on the front passenger-side windows to no more than 25%. I bought this car used, but the tint was on the windows when I got it from the dealer. Aren't they under obligation not to sell a car that's illegal to drive on MO streets? I had no idea, or I'd have insisted they fix it first. I'd like for them to reduce or remove the tint on the front windows, and ideally to cover the cost of my ticket (about $85 bucks) as well. Thoughts? Ideas? Dirty pranks I can pull on the guys that sold me the car like this? :P EDIT: Via CARFAX, I know the first owner of the car bought it and drove it in MO, and it looks like an aftermarket (or at least dealer-installed) tint, not a factory job. Thanks in advance, -RBB Edited by RBB

I cant believe you got pulled over because of the tint. I'd think you could go raise a fir at the dealership, dont know how much good it would do. Contacting a lawyer probably wouldn't be worth it, since the ticket cant be that much and it shouldn't effect your insurance. And chances are you wont get pulled over for this again, unless your local cops are bored.

I cant believe you got pulled over because of the tint.  I'd think you could go raise a fir at the dealership, dont know how much good it would do.  Contacting a lawyer probably wouldn't be worth it, since the ticket cant be that much and it shouldn't effect your insurance.  And chances are you wont get pulled over for this again, unless your local cops are bored.

[post="11002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It was labor day weekend and cops were all over. I was doing 5 over on the highway, but the officer didn't cite me for that.

I've left voicemails with managers, but haven't spoken with anyone of authority yet. I've been told that I'll get to speak to a manager who can do something tomorrow. I plan to be insistant, but reasonable - at least at first. I'll get nasty if I need to, but in my experience in retail usu. a pleasant customer gets more than does someone who's nasty out of the gate.

I have to prove to the state that the tint has been reduced/removed within 30 days or I'll face another fine. I don't have to be pulled over again.

-RBB

I'd hope that if you're insistant, the dealership will foot the bill to get your windows re-tinted. I doubt it, you bought the car and had to have it inspected to get plates and a car is supposed to fail the inspection if it has "vision reducing material."

I don't know what your dealership will do for you, but its been my experience that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Whenever we sell a car (I'm talking new here) we KNOW that you can only tint so dark, limo tint is illegal on a car. So we only will tint 17%, in order to avoid paying tickets for people that get caught. I would suggest that you go to your dealership and raise some holy hell. They should cover your ticket and retint your windows free of charge. If they'll cover your ticket, but won't retint, just wait until you bring them the next ticket. They'll have they set a precedent by paying your ticket, so if no free tinting this time, the next for sure. Be sure and stress the point that they probably sell 100+ cars a month, you buy one, what? every 3-4 years?? so you were relying on their expertise in this situation... As for you having the car inspected or whatever, we sell our used cars safetied, emission tested, and hand you your ownership when you come in. The customer never has anything inspected, or even goes to the license bureau. Interestingly enough, 35% is our lightest, 23% our medium tint, 17% our dark. Funny how this stuff changes from region to region. (I'm in Ontario, Canada). Even dumber observation, if I were to drive through your area with my 17% tint cars, would i be pulled over? just wondered.... Let us know what happens.

Thanks staceface. Re: driving through MO with tinted windows - I don't think you'd have a problem. Technically, I was tinted because my car would not pass a MO state inspection. Since your car is not registered in Missouri, I doubt the law would apply to you. I got word from the dealer, and the service manager couldn't have been nicer. Without my even asking, he offered to pay the ticket, to strip the tint from the front windows, and to give me a loaner car while they're doing the work. I'm very pleased. BTW, the dealer says state law was put in place to protect officers - so they can see what's going on in the car as they approach. Tint is allowed only for those who have a sensitivity to sunlight and have a doctor's prescription stating it is required. Thanks all. -RBB

Thats cool that they are taking care of you like that.

I'm pretty sure that MO dropped the permit requirement for window tinting a couple of years ago. I remember you used to have to take a note or something to the license bureau and get a permit, which I think was a sticker you had to put on the back window. My bro-in-law had one on his old Ranger. Now you dont need a permit.

Edit: Link to MO tint law

Edited edit: The link says you can have up to 35% on the front windows. Edited by Satty

OK, the tint is off, and they're cutting me a check to cover the cost of the ticket. Here's an updated pic, with the sig pic:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Satty - I was confused about that for a while. it's 35% of light allowed. My tint only allowed 24%. There's a light tint from the factory as well on the front windows (maybe 5%), which is nice.

Thanks again,

-RBB