Chevy Spark (2022) – this time, about one week behind the wheel

This little car, a 2022 Chevy Spark, saved the day …. or, rather, the week.  I exchanged a larger and more complex vehicle and, of the few available to pick from, I chose this one.  It was a dark metallic blue sedan.  I once had a Spark for a day in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area and I felt I could go for this pint-sized and economical go kart, even though, this time, I would be taking it on the open road for about a week.

The Spark’s hallmark is simplicity.  The interior is simple.  The controls are simple.  And what’s under the hood is simple.

A person gets into the Spark and setting it up is easy.  The controls are straightforward.  Curiously, the only thing that was missing was a temperature gauge, which could have been slotted in near the fuel gauge.  Similarly, the center stack is also easy to work with, except that everything is a little smaller and less complicated.  However, dials and switches are “Cadillac grade.”  For the infotainment system and climate control, GM’s divisions share the parts, and, here, the Spark benefits.

Some similar cars in Europe are powered by 3-cylinder engines.  The Spark runs with a familiar 1.4 liter 4-cylinder Ecotec engine, sitting in a very tidily organized engine bay where things are accessible and serviceable.  Like many other small cars, the Spark uses a CVT and has for several years now.

For everyday driving, the Ecotec 1.4 is acceptable.  Its best feature is how it pulls off the line, or maybe that’s an illusion because it’s small and agile.  It fares okay on mid- to high-speed upticks in speed, but not enough so to get oneself out of tighter situations with neighboring cars with way more horses.  On several highway tanks, the mileage came in at between 38 and 44 mpg.  The lower mileage treks probably had more city driving to find gas stations or supermarkets!

The Spark’s CVT seems to perform fine.  The nice thing about it is that the shift lever is very simple and is notched such that it moves down directly from P or R to D, and requires a jog to move over to L.  You won’t get to L by accident.  The CVT does drone on when pushed, but it’s not as pronounced as in some other vehicles.

Ride and handling are two different things.  The Spark rides decently on well-kept city streets and on well paved highways.  In fact, here, it almost defies its smallness and low weight.  However, on rough local roads and highways that have washboard pavement and gaps, it might as well be a “beater.”  The roughness can come through as jolts.  As for the handling, it’s nimble and agile.  You always know what the tires are doing, though not in bad way.  There is some isolation.  It’s fun to drive this car in downtown areas, on good suburban roads, on mildly winding 2-lane roads, and even on interstates with speed limits under 65 mph.

The interior materials are not especially uptown, but their assembly is respectable.  We are talking about small expanses of surface areas that need to be trimmed out, hence the car’s interior appears to be put together well.  The seats are firm, have some shape, are suitable for up to an average sized individual, and do the job … except for maybe long-haul jaunts.  It’s funny that there’s a small fold down armrest only for the driver.  I actually used it.  There is no console.  There’s not much else down in the center except for the squarish module with the shifter.  At the base of the center stack, there is a small tray which has a USB outlet and a lighter outlet right above it.  Controls at the stalks are standard GM items and the infotainment center and climate control system are almost intuitive.  There is a floor mounted fuel door release by the driver’s seat, a feature that I believe should not be omitted for gasoline or diesel-powered engines, yet some larger cars have done away with this feature.  The rear seat, while nicely finished for the price point, does not offer much legroom for adults.  The storage space with the back seat up behind the hatchback (or 5th door) is very limited.  It can probably handle a medium sized suitcase and a smaller duffel bag, so plan accordingly.  Still, it’s slightly better than what a Smart Car can offer in the back, and it comes with a cover that hides your contents.

The Spark’s exterior is econobox all the way, with some endearing almost toy-like aspects, such as a low-key front fascia and rear taillamp assembly and bumper.  It comes in the standard colors, but also some “radical” ones like metallic lime, metallic passion fruit, toasted marshmallow, and possibly a strong “yield sign yellow” aimed at younger drivers or someone who wants to do things a little differently.  The rear overhang is especially short and hearkens to the smallest foreign cars in Europe and Latin America.  This car would look right at home there, but I don’t know if it’s marketed elsewhere at this point.  Alloy wheels can round out the look, as do the rear door handles that are up in the frames at the side of the doors, just like they were on ‘88 to ‘96 GM W-body coupes!  The car might make you chuckle as you go about your business without fetching much attention.

The Chevy Spark is a car that serves a purpose – it’s a zippy little city car or local road trip car for someone that wants a known brand and a car that has been around for a few years at an entry-level price.  It has some systems that have had some issues, and the jury is still out on CVTs and their longevity, but Ecotec engines have been around for a while though, for some reason, certain years fare differently than others (think dots on adjacent columns in Consumer Reports).  Some of the other systems are common to and shared within the GM stable, so they should perform acceptably.  In short, I had fun driving this car for that week.  However, coming home to a larger vehicle that is smoother, quieter, and more isolated was also welcomed.

- - - - -

PHOTOS FORTHCOMING

• Agree 1

EXTERIOR PHOTOS

KIMG2039.thumb.JPG.ca6993238cb6a7eabd2aec3686780cd8.JPG

Sitting next to a field along a rural detour to I-70; interesting character lines for the amount of sheet metal and I like where they placed the rear door handles

KIMG2344.thumb.JPG.82cfa623064e3f1404eb125aa0a2cadd.JPG

Seen above the Metro parking lot for UMSL South - UMSL is a neat campus and this parking lot for Metrolink is considered safe enough and has enough spaces.

KIMG1959.thumb.JPG.910715e51697a8fa286f76e594952357.JPG

I had to take a photo of the car in front of the student union at alma mater #2

KIMG1978.thumb.JPG.1a14539056297e9453031acda5e5dc84.JPG

Another view of the Spark

KIMG2382.thumb.JPG.709fe75556e957f851342c469561a2f9.JPG

Everything is this car is small - check out the tailpipe ... also, the alloys help its looks quite a bit

• Agree 2

INTERIOR PHOTOS

KIMG1809.thumb.JPG.3f065a8c127c326799f4456380fda8bb.JPG

Overall view of the dashboard

KIMG1817.thumb.JPG.34e289ade855c756126d376440e56d3b.JPG

Except for the lack of a temperature gauge, everything else is very clear.  I like the digital speed display, along with the gear it's in shown in a box to the right

KIMG1815.thumb.JPG.303807e37c3c35f11256ffba660d199e.JPG

This is the center stack from top to bottom

KIMG1821.thumb.JPG.79f6eccb2cdac0a31cf15819d11864cb.JPG

This made for a great shifter with surprisingly good build quality; getting it over to L requires a jog, which is a goog thing

KIMG2059.thumb.JPG.8293560db7a039855ee337199257fe4d.JPG

Here's a view of the driver's seat, along with that lone armrest!

KIMG1813.thumb.JPG.05604d9720f9084acdf8d9515ad11ef3.JPG

I think the door control on my car is exactly like this, so things haven't' changed much (reliability and cost savings)

KIMG1822.thumb.JPG.85b48daa8eeff8b8fa74c468e62d4c6e.JPG

Two types of USB ports and a 12 V port

KIMG2364.thumb.JPG.c3f52f616427960e94d14e19f9e3bf3f.JPG

The trunk when empty, with folding 60-40 rear seats:  it's not too deep

KIMG2366.thumb.JPG.e3ecef87a59da15fc8d6080db827174f.JPG

This is the trunk when full; I was able to put a few more things in and still have the cover on top of them conceal everything

MECHANICAL PHOTOS

KIMG2288.thumb.JPG.045342f9c29c174216cc2674dbbbbf90.JPG

A small and well-organized engine bay, which GM does better than its competitors; note that someone had to inscribe 4.2 qts.  That's probably because someone may have (tried to) put in more.  The website specs actually said 4.25 qts.

KIMG2284.thumb.JPG.428ceac57ba7c1c4291161c2496c9e26.JPG

An interesting place to put the short prop rod

KIMG2285.thumb.JPG.a888cab793c22f68d4fdd39fd8db6e73.JPG

Confirming that it has 1.4 liters (Ecotec 4 cyl.), is California compliant, and continues on with the long-lived OBD II diagnostics system

• Agree 1

BONUS PHOTO

KIMG1722.thumb.JPG.322cd89acb984e6e693df44dce7fb18d.JPG

The infotainment display is very ease to use.

Per design lingo, it might adhere to the saying that "less is more."

However, when it comes to certain types of music, it's better to have "more, more, more."

As you can see, I'm fairly "reliable."

- - - - -

END OF PHOTOS

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2023 at 3:01 PM, regfootball said:

Spark is really good at what it’s supposed to be. But beware it’s not a big rig at all!

I agree.  I was impressed by its competence for the category and price point.  I definitely enjoyed it for one day a few years back and it did its job for that week in August-September.

With the Smart car, the back of the car is practically right behind the driver.  With the Spark, it's just a "little bit" further back than with the Smart!

For teeny tiny cars, I was impressed w/ the 1st gen Trax (2015) my sister owned.  I drove it from Florida back to Ohio in 2020, and occasionally around Cleveland.  Quite pleasant to drive for such a tiny 4cyl vehicle.  Comfortable on road trips.  It only had 25k when she traded it last December on a '23 Equinox.  The Equinox drives quite well also, bigger and more comfortable. Equinox basically feels like a taller Malibu w/ more cargo space.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1