Drew Dowdell

Ford Boosting Expedition and Navigator Production

...sales have surged 35%

Ford is adding 550 workers to their Kentucky plant that builds the Navigator and Expedition in order to meet surging retail demand for the big SUVs.  Retail sales were up 35% which has netted Ford a 5.6% gain in market-share for the Expedition.  The Navigator is doing even better with a 70% increase in sales.

Ford has already increased line speed and split some jobs to multiple people in an attempt to increase  production. Vehicle production will be increased after the July shutdown.

Along with the increase in production, Ford will be starting an advertising campaign focusing on the size and spaciousness of the Expedition.

Ford increasing job and production in the US stands in sharp contrast to the steep cuts of over 6,000 jobs Ford announced for Europe

Source: Ford Media

When you're only selling 7 a month, 70% sounds better than it is. 🤣

They're moving 2,000 of them a month

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

They're moving 2,000 of them a month

Damn, that's quite a few. What's the Escalade at, 5000?

Damn, that's quite a few. What's the Escalade at, 5000?

3,100 a month as of December..  I expect that number to continue to fall as the current model heads into retirement.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's a lot of dollars exchanging hands(or credit) for those two vehicles.

Wonder who they are taking market share from? 🤔

Suburban is15,200 a month as of December 2018

Wonder who they are taking market share from? 🤔

Suburban is15,200 a month as of December 2018

I would think only the Escalade because those two are the only ones truly in that XXL Luxury SUV class. Nothing else touches their sheer size.

Probably will increase Navigator production just as the BMW X7 hits dealers and new GLS/Maybach comes out to steal sales back.  Gotta strike while the iron is still hot though.

18 hours ago, ccap41 said:

The Suburban, Yukon(and Denali) XL, and Escalade ESV all exist as XXLs.

Last month (Feb)total sales of the

Escalade+ESV= 1967

Tahoe+ Suburban =7729

Yukon + Yukon XL= 4019

GM Full-Size SUVs= 13,715

Plus don't forget that the BIG CUVS Enclave and Traverse sold 14,811

Ford sold :

Expy+XL =6407

Nav= 1411

Ford Full-Size SUVs = 7,818

GM has a lotta cushion considering that the Chevy and Cadillac brands all by themselves are still outselling the Ford/Lincoln combo.. before U throw in the GMC gravy..

BUT!!! the Escalade was down 29% while Nav was up 32%. I would say that the Lincoln is stealing Cadillac sales more than anything else.. plus the fact that the NAV is relatively new while the Escalade is 5 years on the market already. Hell I bought my Yukon in summer '14 because at the time the Escalade (Short) was selling out as they came into the dealer. Time for GM to go ahead and push out the new SUVs.. and I hear that they did a lot of homework to circumvent any of the current new competition from the likes of Ford/Lincoln, Jeep and BMW

I am sure that the new Escalade will come out sooner than later given the results from Ford and Lincoln.

Wonder who they are taking market share from? 🤔

Suburban is15,200 a month as of December 2018

No, you have to divide that number by 3.  GM only reports numbers quarterly now.

The Suburban, Yukon(and Denali) XL, and Escalade ESV all exist as XXLs.

I said Luxury as in luxury brands.. I know Ford and GM both have XXL SUVs.

I said Luxury as in luxury brands.. I know Ford and GM both have XXL SUVs.

Gotcha.. but some would argue easily, and with a great deal of evidence.. that the Denali, a brand of its own, as in the Yukon Denali is on par with both the Caddy and Lincoln.. and prior to this redo of the Nav.. was actually considered more lux than the Lincoln. I doubt GMC is gonna take the challenge lying down come next gen, which will probably debut Fall '19. Hell.. the Suburban is still referred to as the Texas Cadillac. Just sayin.. My bigger point was about the Denali tho

I provided Feb numbers

I provided Feb numbers

How did you get the feb numbers?

It's been 5 years since the GM bigs were last redesigned, so I'd assume new ones will be announced in the next year or so?

ccap41

Posted (edited)

Well, it isn't its own brand nor is it considered a luxury brand all of its own.. no matter how big of a fanboy you are. Platinum Fords are still Fords.

Edited by ccap41

How did you get the feb numbers?

Guy over at gmi posted for both

Well, it isn't its own brand nor is it considered a luxury brand all of its own.. no matter how big of a fanboy you are. Platinum Fords still are Fords.

Wow.. "fan boy? " 🤨 that wasn't really justified. Cool.. High road I'll take and say while your opinion is your opinion many would differ in looking at GMC, especially Denali, which is classified as a Sub-brand, as luxury. Ford is to Chevy.. GMC is a known premium brand and Denali is over it.

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
    • Confused 1

Guy over at gmi posted for both

If they are only reporting Quarterly, then does this person have an inside connection to see the monthly numbers?

Guy over at gmi posted for both

Okay, but I wonder about their source since GM isn't publishing monthly numbers anymore. I'm genuinely curious because I would like to get access to those number myself.

Just go over to the website and look up February sales results for GM or Ford and you'll see and he explains how it came about the numbers if it is wrong then it's wrong and we'll see at the end of this month anyway

"I call it how I see it" - Casa

OK... U are entitled

Well, it’s good because I like them both. 🙂

But, wait until the first major gas hike.. (coming soon)

Oil prices have already reached $60 a barrel here, which is the highest since November 2018.  Gas prices are already around $2.50 or more as of right now.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Ford reported first quarter operating earnings of $801m, up $160m over the same quarter last year.  The company says that it expects this quarter to be the strongest quarter of the year due to seasonal factors and major product launches later this year.  However, the company says it still expects to finish 2019 better than 2018.
      Outside of North America, Ford is still losing money, but those losses are shrinking.  Ford recently announced a restructuring plan for Europe that included over 6,000 layoffs.
      Also in the earnings report, Ford revealed that the company is subject to a criminal investigation by the Justice Department due to its emissions certifications. We recently reported that Ford had launched its own internal investigation into its emissions certification process.
      Ford's stock rose more than 6% in premarket trading.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Ford's stock rose more than 6% in premarket trading.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford announced today that it would be investing $500 million in Electric Vehicle startup Rivian.  The move will gain Ford access to Rivian's flexible skateboard platform.  Ford will co-develop the vehicle with Rivian and will join the already planned Ford F-150 EV and a Mustang inspired crossover EV.  Ford will provide Rivian with industrial expertise and resources.
      Rivian will remain an independent company and the investment is subject to regulatory approvals.
      Rivian has shown concept versions of the Rivian R1T, an electric pickup and Rivian R1S SUV at the Los Angeles Auto Show. It plans to put these vehicle into production at its plant in Normal Illinois.
      Ford's investment comes just two months after Rivian landed $700m in investment commitments from Amazon and others.  The talks between Rivian and General Motors have apparently collapsed.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford unveiled the 2020 Escape ahead of the New York International Auto Show and yesterday I finally got my chance to check it out.
      The Escape’s overall shape has lost some of its edge. It is now more rounded and car-like born out by the fact that it is longer, lower, and wider than the current model.  From certain angles in the front, it almost looks to be a Tesla, an association I’m sure Ford won’t mind me making. In back, it has lost almost all of its character. Scrape the badges off and I couldn't tell you what manufacturer this car came from.
      Inside is a mixed bag. The dash is laid out in a simple organized fashion and I like how it no longer juts out at you as the outgoing model does.  The screen is well placed and easy to reach. My experiences with Sync3 in the past have been good, so I expect that will carry over into this Escape. The rear seat room is good for the class, though the rear seats do sit lower than I would like.
      Where I’m let down is in the quality of materials. Everything seems to be made of hard plastic. The door panels in the rear were especially tupperware feeling. One strange item is the unusual placement of the engine start/stop button, down and behind the steering wheel almost as if they were intentionally making it hard to reach. I did back to back comparisons with Ford’s competition at the show and I would put the new Escape near the bottom of the list on interior quality. It is even a step backward from the current Escape.
      The Escape will have four powertrain choices, a 1.5-liter turbo, a 2-liter turbo carried over from the previous generation, and making a return is the hybrid version, powered by a 2.5 liter 4-cylinder. A plug-in hybrid will also be available, but only in front-wheel drive form.  The most interesting of these engines is the 1.5 liter. It is a 3 cylinder EcoBoost producing 180 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque. It is capable of running on just 2 cylinders during times of light load. I liked the 1-liter 3-cylinder EcoBoost in the Ford Fiesta, and if this new 1.5 liter runs the same, that would be a good thing. Driving impressions will have to wait till later this year when the Escape goes into production.
      Overall I think this Ford could and should do better on the interior quality. A 3-cylinder turbo may be a hard sell no matter how good the mileage is and Ford will have an interesting time convincing customers of that.
      You can read more about the 2020 Ford Escape from the release article below.

• By Drew Dowdell
      You can read more about the 2020 Ford Escape from the release article below.

1. Deuce