Ford Confirms A Smaller Truck is Coming

Farley makes some comments about it

That rumor about Ford introducing a smaller truck below the Ranger from last summer? It seems we have gotten some confirmation on that.

Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets confirmed the plans during the Deutsche Bank Global Auto Industry Conference in Detroit - the same place where he dropped the F-150 electric bombshell.

Ford is "investing in more affordable versions of our truck business" and that "you can expect new nameplates below where we compete today," Farley said at the conference. No timeframe was given. Interestingly, a Ford spokesman said “we’ll have more details to share about new nameplates in the future.” Usually, they go with the boilerplate answer of 'no comment."

Last July, Automobile magazine reported Ford was working on a replacement for the Brazilian market Courier subcompact pickup truck. The new model would switch from the Fiesta to the Focus platform. Apparently, this project has caught the eye of Ford's U.S. office and there is talk about bringing here by 2022.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Makes total sense, I have said for years GM and Ford should have a pick up smaller than the Colorado and Ranger because those trucks are way bigger than they were in the 90s.

The explosive rise in sub compact crossovers like Encore/Traxx, Kona, HR-V, etc show that people will buy small and a small pickup I imagine would be more like Escape or RAV4 size and that size crossover is probably the strongest segment of all.

7 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Excellent news!

Hell  yes...if they get this right I may pay my local Ford dealer a visit.

I totally see a market for mini pickup EV Trucks.

In about twenty years...yes.

Now this is something I could get on board with because the current crop of “smaller” trucks, while nice, are just way overpriced for most folks who just need a runabout truck for some light duty work. Good that Ford is at least considering this. Are you listening GM, FCA, Toyota, and Nissan?

19 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Even the first gen Colorado was small and the Ranger went to like 2011 or something as a small truck. They were small for quite a long time.

Proves there is still a market for mini pickups with Fords long run. Very smart move by Ford. Makes me wonder if we could see a S10 or Luv mini pickup come back especially as an EV. :P

it'll probably be FWD based though.

Ram could do one on the Promaster City.

Might still be worthwhile. They have the Escape technology and engineering to put 4WD under a small truck easily.

it'll probably be FWD based though.

Ram could do one on the Promaster City.

That's what I figured as well. If it's going to based on the new Focus platform.. It ain't gon be RWD.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Nothing wrong with that though.

What do you think it's payload would need to be to be worth buying? Is 1000lb too much for something that size?

Nope not at all, Toyota had a Max version of their mini 70's pickup truck that came with dually wheels and had a 2000lb bed rating. In this modern world I can easily see a 1000lb 4x4 mini pickup off the focus platform.

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

Nothing wrong with that though.

No, not at all. There's really no benefit because it isn't like this thing would have some 7000lb towing capacity and 1500lb payload capacity.

Like you mentioned, if it is anything like an Escape, my 2.0T had a 3500lb towing capability.. not sure on pay load.. and it isn't listed either.

Do you think 750lbs would be too low then? I genuinely just don't know what size this would be and what small trucks have been rated for in the past.

The Transit Connect maximum payload is 1,470 so I would expect a truck on the same platform to be around that or higher.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Transit connect is a really decent little vehicle. We have one at work....I always enjoy my time with it.

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Great service vans and I could see a quality pickup out of it.

Great service vans and I could see a quality pickup out of it.

I could really see Ford becoming a Truck and utility company with Edge/Explorer combined into one SUV, the Transit line, and the Mustang.

Lincoln will sell a few thousand vehicles but still be irrelevant compared to the rest of the luxury market.

26 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Lincoln has four crossovers now, they'll keep adding to that I'm sure.

Lincoln has four crossovers now, they'll keep adding to that I'm sure.

They will but I doubt they will ever catch up to even Acura or Volvo.

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They will but I doubt they will ever catch up to even Acura or Volvo.

I think they already beat Volvo in crossover sales.

I think they already beat Volvo in crossover sales.

I really like Volvo's Crossovers better. Plus Volvo is more of a global brand.

Is it just me, or are today's midsize pickups feel like full size pickups from the 70s?  A compact pickup is a great idea and would mark the next front in the Ford v GM v RAM truck wars.

12 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Until you get in them and notice how narrow they are.  Full size pickups from the 70s were as wide as at least mid-size cars from the 70s and you could comfortably seat three across the bench.  Couldn't do that in a Colorado or Ranger today even if they did have a bench seat.

Is the last Ranger the last of the truly compact pickups to have been on sale?

It just seems like forever ago, although in reality it has been less than a decade....

It is a good idea, depending on pricing and if Ford can make enough margin on each sale.

My suspicion is that while they have the market to themselves for a couple of years, they will. However, as competitors enter the field.....?

17 minutes ago, lengnert said:

Is the last Ranger the last of the truly compact pickups to have been on sale?

yeah, in this country anyway.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Agreed, todays full size pickups is the supersized HD of the 70's and the midsize is the full size of the 70's and out comes the mini pickup again that is what it really was in the 70's.

This would be interesting.  I've never owned a full size truck and never had much interest in one (though the new Ram is nice) but I have had two S10's and two Rangers.  Always had a fondness for the compact trucks.

todays full size pickups is the supersized HD of the 70's

There was no "supersized HD of the 70's" LOLwut

I will love to see a new wave of mini trucks hit the U.S., heck, I would own one in a heartbeat of America, even FWD based if it has AWD.  But it will need to look trucky.  Homie don't play no El Cruzmino.  I absolutely ADORED this thing when it debuted:

CN016_018JP5t0rlh5udgkgft7eakvf0p00mn-620x413.jpg

2 hours ago, 2QuickZ's said:

Two s 10s and a ranger for me. Very good little trucks.

48 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

There was no "supersized HD of the 70's" LOLwut

CN016_018JP5t0rlh5udgkgft7eakvf0p00mn-620x413.jpg

Me as well. Glad you are also a fan.

Guest garnermike

Posted

As much as I love my 2016 F150 KingCab, it's turned out to be too big for my needs. Had been looking forward to the new Ranger's release in 2019-20, but an even smaller truck may really hit the sweet spot for me. BTW, I have a 2014 Transit Connect wagon XLT (7-seater) and it's been a great vehicle, hauling and mpg wise (typical tankful gets me 25 mpg in mixed driving, 29 mpg hwy). It might make a great chassis/base for a small Ford truck, IMO.

11 hours ago, Guest garnermike said:

I really like the Transit Connect.  I just had a vision of a modern take on the mini-COE pickups of the 1960's, plus the Corvair Rampside...

ar0612-129643_1@2x.jpg

IMGP1370-1-e1454536019492-940x636.jpg

778_IMG_20170311_135132.jpg

The Econolines had a 165-lb slab of solid steel as a counterweight under the bed at the rear - not sure about Dodge.

Edited by balthazar

Saw one of the Econoline vans (window version w/ Falcon badges) on one of those restoration shows last night..neat little van.

It has been some time since we last reported on PSA Group's plan to re-enter the U.S. When we last checked in, Peugeot was chosen as the brand to be entering the U.S. by 2023 and rumors were swirling about a possible merger between PSA Group and FCA. A lot has changed since then as the two automakers begin to finalize plans for a merger, and the COVID-19 pandemic has no end in sight in the U.S. What does that mean for Peugeot's return to the U.S.?
      "My role is to grow the PSA business in North America, growing our mobility capability and preparing for the launch of Peugeot." said Larry Dominique, CEO of PSA North America to Automotive News.
      "From our standpoint, we're planning as if [the merger] doesn't exist. We're marching forward as if PSA was going to be there by themselves."
      Dominique is right now focused on the present with the top priority being building out a dealer network for both U.S. and Canada before the launch. He explained that the company is planning a two-prong approach, having franchised dealers and online retailing.
      "The future success for OEMs is the reduction of distribution costs while ensuring both retail and OEM margin sustainability. This has to be done through strong pricing power, not volume turnover," he said.
      Part of this is due to COVID-19 pandemic which has many automakers rethinking how they sell vehicles, something Dominique admits is a big challenge.
      "All my competitors are going to be focusing on digital, which means we have to step up our game and deliver an even stronger customer experience when we launch Peugeot in North America. We need to get out of an environment where the retailers are dependent upon just F&I and service to pay their bills."
      Another challenge facing Dominique, what models to sell in the U.S. The market has changed a lot since PSA Group announced its intentions to re-enter the U.S. Consumers now are focused on trucks and crossovers.
      "I don't have a full-sized truck,. But the C and D segments are what's relevant to us. The C and D segments are high volume and important to North America. That's where we're going to focus initially,"
      To us, this hints at the 3008 and 5008 crossovers being some of the first models to be available.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      Jim Hackett's tenure as Ford CEO will be coming to a close on October 1st as he will retire from the position. His replacement is Jim Farley, currently Ford's Chief Operating Officer, a role he took on at the beginning of this year. In a press release, Ford said the two will be working together over the next two months on the transition. Hackett will stay on as "special advisor" for some time after.
      “I am very grateful to Jim Hackett for all he has done to modernize Ford and prepare us to compete and win in the future. Our new product vision – led by the Mustang Mach-E, new F-150 and Bronco family – is taking shape. We now have compelling plans for electric and autonomous vehicles, as well as full vehicle connectivity. And we are becoming much more nimble, which was apparent when we quickly mobilized to make life-saving equipment at the outset of the pandemic,” said Ford executive chairman, Bill Ford.
      Hackett became Ford's CEO in 2017 after the ousting of then CEO Mark Fields. His short tenure brought forth some major and controversial decisions such as Ford killing off most of their passenger car nameplates to focus on trucks and utility vehicles; spending $11 billion in electric vehicles by 2022, and the introductions of the Mach-E, 2021 F-150, and Bronco. He has also dealt with a lot frustration from various groups as The Detroit News outlines,
      Hackett admitted that his tenure did cause a fair amount of friction, but said his efforts are starting to show.
      "I aimed for moving ahead versus just moving fast. Could we aim for a longer-arc kind of reward. In this case, for the three years it takes to get products to market, you're starting to see the fruits of our labor."
      Farley, who has been with Ford since 2007, knows he has a tough road ahead. Aside from realizing the various paths laid out by Hackett, he also has to deal with the issues of the COVID-19 pandemic and hopefully launch two of Ford's key product without any issues.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD ANNOUNCES JIM HACKETT TO RETIRE AS PRESIDENT AND CEO; JIM FARLEY TO SUCCEED HACKETT AS COMPANY CONTINUES TRANSFORMATION
      Jim Hackett, who has led Ford Motor Company’s transformation since 2017 as president and CEO, has elected to retire from the company Jim Farley, currently chief operating officer, becomes president and CEO of Ford effective Oct. 1. He was also elected to the Ford board of directors. He will work closely with Jim Hackett on the transition over the next two months Seamless CEO transition underscores strength of Ford’s leadership team, succession planning, and company progress over the past three years, Executive Chairman Bill Ford says DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 4, 2020 – Ford Motor Company today announced that Jim Hackett, who has led the company’s transformation since 2017, plans to retire from the company. Jim Farley has been named the company’s new president and CEO and will join the board of directors, effective Oct. 1.
      Hackett, 65, and Farley, 58, will work together on a smooth leadership transition over the next two months.
      Under Hackett, Ford moved aggressively into the new era of smart vehicles and drove a deeper focus on customers’ wants and needs. At the same time, Ford improved the fitness of the base business – restructuring operations, invigorating the product portfolio and reducing bureaucracy.
      “I am very grateful to Jim Hackett for all he has done to modernize Ford and prepare us to compete and win in the future,” said Bill Ford, Ford’s executive chairman. “Our new product vision – led by the Mustang Mach-E, new F-150 and Bronco family – is taking shape. We now have compelling plans for electric and autonomous vehicles, as well as full vehicle connectivity. And we are becoming much more nimble, which was apparent when we quickly mobilized to make life-saving equipment at the outset of the pandemic.”
      Farley, an automotive leader with deep global experience and a successful track record, collaborated with Hackett over the past three years to develop and execute Ford’s Creating Tomorrow Together plan to transform Ford into a higher-growth, higher-margin business.
      “Jim Farley matches an innate feel for cars and customers with great instincts for the future and the new technologies that are changing our industry,” Bill Ford said. “Jim’s passion for great vehicles and his intense drive for results are well known, and I have also seen him develop into a transformational leader with the determination and foresight to help Ford thrive into the future.”
      Farley joined Ford in 2007 as global head of Marketing and Sales and went on to lead Lincoln, Ford South America, Ford of Europe and all Ford global markets in successive roles. In April 2019, Farley was chosen to lead Ford’s New Businesses, Technology & Strategy team, helping the company determine how to capitalize on powerful forces reshaping the industry – such as software platforms, connectivity, AI, automation and new forms of propulsion. He was named chief operating officer in February of this year.
      Hackett, who will continue as a special advisor to Ford through March of 2021, said the time is right to pass the mantle of leadership to Jim Farley.
      “My goal when I took on the CEO role was to prepare Ford to win in the future,” Hackett said. “The hardest thing for a proud, long-lived company to do is change to meet the challenges of the world it’s entering rather than the world it has known. I’m very proud of how far we have come in creating a modern Ford and I am very optimistic about the future.
      “I have worked side-by-side with Jim Farley for the past three years and have the greatest confidence in him as a person and a leader,” Hackett said. “He has been instrumental in crafting our new product portfolio and redesigning our businesses around the world. He is also a change agent with a deep understanding of how to lead Ford in this new era defined by smart vehicles in a smart world.”
      Said Farley: “I love Ford and I am honored by the opportunity to serve and create value for Ford’s employees, customers, dealers, communities and all of our stakeholders. Jim Hackett has laid the foundation for a really vibrant future and we have made tremendous progress in the past three years. I am so excited to work together with the whole Ford team to realize the full potential of this great company in a new era.”

Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

During a recent fireside chat with Bank of America, Ford teased a new 'Whitespace' product due in the 2021MY. What could that product be? Muscle Cars & Trucks speculates this may be a smaller pickup truck.
      We've been hearing rumblings about this since 2018 when Automobile Magazine first brought this to light. This truck would be the replacement for the Brazilian market Courier, last sold in 2013. It would be based on the C2 platform that underpinned at the time the new Focus for markets outside of the U.S. Fuel would be added to the fire a year later when Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets dropped this,
      Since then, a trademark filing for Maverick by Ford has appeared, possibly giving us a name for this new model. Plus, dealers were shown this model earlier this year where it earned an enthusiastic reception.
      This model could have a starting price of around $20,000 or so when it launches. Stay tuned.
      Source: Muscle Cars & Trucks

• The Encore's time with us is nearing its end.  It needs tires, brakes, and possibly a master cylinder.  When I was under it last weekend installing new LED headlights and fog lamps I noticed oil coating the oil pan and the coolant reservoir tank was nearly empty.  We've had a coolant leak issue before when the thermostat housing cracked.  It's not exhibiting any symptoms currently beside the tank being low... but it lit up my radar. Carvana is offering $8,200 in trade for a 2013 Encore with 101k miles... so I think I'd be dumb not to take that offer up before I have to sink $1,200+ dollars into it.  That's the trap we got caught in with the CR-V, we kept sinking money into it thinking we'd hold on to it longer, but it would only last about 2 months before it demanded more money. So we had a car picked out as of last night, but Albert is having doubts, so I'm canceling the purchase process.   Watch this space.
    • The holy grail of GM trucks...with one more hole...sorry, couldn't resist, this sucks for 'Blu.   Starting to fanboy on the Colorado, love the new Sand Dune ZR2 only color for 2021. I honestly could see picking a ZR2 over a Gladiator if I was going to blow 45 or 50 grand on a midsize truck.
    • That's a feature not a fault...the car/truck in question can burn to the ground so it can match the rest of the country....urban or rural...right or left...we have gotten damn good at burning things down in 2020.
    • Pretty much the same size as the CX-5, CR-V, Escape and Equinox.  Would be interesting to see a comparison in terms of real world usability, range, interior space, cargo capacity, performance, etc...
    • They should call one as Vladimir, I bet it will wipe out half of Florida ... I think your forgot all these battery fires that go for hours and keep reigniting ...

1. jlbunting