Ford Confirms A Smaller Truck is Coming

Farley makes some comments about it

That rumor about Ford introducing a smaller truck below the Ranger from last summer? It seems we have gotten some confirmation on that.

Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets confirmed the plans during the Deutsche Bank Global Auto Industry Conference in Detroit - the same place where he dropped the F-150 electric bombshell.

Ford is "investing in more affordable versions of our truck business" and that "you can expect new nameplates below where we compete today," Farley said at the conference. No timeframe was given. Interestingly, a Ford spokesman said “we’ll have more details to share about new nameplates in the future.” Usually, they go with the boilerplate answer of 'no comment."

Last July, Automobile magazine reported Ford was working on a replacement for the Brazilian market Courier subcompact pickup truck. The new model would switch from the Fiesta to the Focus platform. Apparently, this project has caught the eye of Ford's U.S. office and there is talk about bringing here by 2022.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Makes total sense, I have said for years GM and Ford should have a pick up smaller than the Colorado and Ranger because those trucks are way bigger than they were in the 90s.

The explosive rise in sub compact crossovers like Encore/Traxx, Kona, HR-V, etc show that people will buy small and a small pickup I imagine would be more like Escape or RAV4 size and that size crossover is probably the strongest segment of all.

Now this is something I could get on board with because the current crop of “smaller” trucks, while nice, are just way overpriced for most folks who just need a runabout truck for some light duty work. Good that Ford is at least considering this. Are you listening GM, FCA, Toyota, and Nissan?

19 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Even the first gen Colorado was small and the Ranger went to like 2011 or something as a small truck. They were small for quite a long time.

Proves there is still a market for mini pickups with Fords long run. Very smart move by Ford. Makes me wonder if we could see a S10 or Luv mini pickup come back especially as an EV. :P

it'll probably be FWD based though.

Ram could do one on the Promaster City.

That's what I figured as well. If it's going to based on the new Focus platform.. It ain't gon be RWD.

What do you think it's payload would need to be to be worth buying? Is 1000lb too much for something that size?

Nope not at all, Toyota had a Max version of their mini 70's pickup truck that came with dually wheels and had a 2000lb bed rating. In this modern world I can easily see a 1000lb 4x4 mini pickup off the focus platform.

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

Nothing wrong with that though.

No, not at all. There's really no benefit because it isn't like this thing would have some 7000lb towing capacity and 1500lb payload capacity.

Like you mentioned, if it is anything like an Escape, my 2.0T had a 3500lb towing capability.. not sure on pay load.. and it isn't listed either.

Do you think 750lbs would be too low then? I genuinely just don't know what size this would be and what small trucks have been rated for in the past.

The Transit Connect maximum payload is 1,470 so I would expect a truck on the same platform to be around that or higher.

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Transit connect is a really decent little vehicle. We have one at work....I always enjoy my time with it.

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Great service vans and I could see a quality pickup out of it.

Great service vans and I could see a quality pickup out of it.

I could really see Ford becoming a Truck and utility company with Edge/Explorer combined into one SUV, the Transit line, and the Mustang.

Lincoln will sell a few thousand vehicles but still be irrelevant compared to the rest of the luxury market.

26 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Lincoln has four crossovers now, they'll keep adding to that I'm sure.

Is it just me, or are today's midsize pickups feel like full size pickups from the 70s?  A compact pickup is a great idea and would mark the next front in the Ford v GM v RAM truck wars.

12 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Until you get in them and notice how narrow they are.  Full size pickups from the 70s were as wide as at least mid-size cars from the 70s and you could comfortably seat three across the bench.  Couldn't do that in a Colorado or Ranger today even if they did have a bench seat.