• Sign in to follow this  

    Ford Performance Readies Power Upgrades For Focus RS


    • Want more power for your Focus RS? Ford Performance is working on a warranty-backed ECU upgrade.

    The Ford Focus RS is already a potent vehicle with 350 horsepower and 350 pound-feet of torque from a turbocharged 2.3L four-cylinder. This rockets the RS to 60 mph in less than five seconds. But there are those who want more oomph and Ford has some good news for you.

    Autoblog reports that Ford Performance is working on an ECU upgrade for the RS. Details such how much power, when it will go on sale, and the pricetag isn't being talked about at this time. But what we do know is that this upgrade will be backed by a Ford warranty.

    Autoblog speculates the ECU upgrade could be similar to one that Mountune offers for Focus RS in Europe. The upgrade adds 25 more horsepower and 30 pound-feet of peak torque.

    We hope to learn more about this upgrade in the coming months.

    Source: Autoblog



      Report Article
    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    Fantastic car, but I would still rather own a WRX STI personally.  Awesome that additional power is available. Word in the motorsports community is that the RS is really, really the real deal of a car from Ford.

    I cannot wait to drive one.

    So Glad Ford is doing what they are, they have the RS, the ST Focus, the ST Fiesta, Baskin Robbins 32 flavors of Mustang, Ford GT....Fusion is just drop dead gorgeous....neat times to have Ford around!

     

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, FordCosworth said:

    I've seen one in town... a white one

    I'm not sure what I found more impressive... the two hotties blonde girls ( driver and passenger ) in it, or sheer excitement of seeing the car in the flesh

    I could handle both. Love how clean and aggressive this car looks. The GTI/Type R golf is cool also, but the styling is much more passive on the Vee Dub. This car is aggressive and elegant at the same time. 

    Now we just need depreciation to kick in a little bit and ford to build a few more of these to satisfy the market....this will become a modern day collectible like the Shelby's Roush's, Honda S-2000, 4th gen Supra, NSX, eta l.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Not to be a downer, but I really become less and less impressed with this car. It's obvious Ford was going for a more overly sporting application than say, the Golf R, but after seeing and reading about all the shortcuts Ford took, and how compromised the car is for true track use, it's hard to not be disappointed. If I were buying a car with regular track use in mind, this wouldn't be it.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    28 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

    Not to be a downer, but I really become less and less impressed with this car. It's obvious Ford was going for a more overly sporting application than say, the Golf R, but after seeing and reading about all the shortcuts Ford took, and how compromised the car is for true track use, it's hard to not be disappointed. If I were buying a car with regular track use in mind, this wouldn't be it.

    I wouldnt buy any FWD based car for regular track use either.

    I'd be buying a Miata, a used one. and have fun running in Spec Miata or the like. Theres a billion parts, support, other competitors...

    From what I've read ( C/D, Evo, Motor Trend... ) the Focus RS lays waste to the Golf R as track and street car.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

    I wouldnt buy any FWD based car for regular track use either.

    I'd be buying a Miata, a used one. and have fun running in Spec Miata or the like. Theres a billion parts, support, other competitors...

    From what I've read ( C/D, Evo, Motor Trend... ) the Focus RS lays waste to the Golf R as track and street car.

     

    Depends on your priorities I suppose.

     

    There's no denying the Golf has far superior comfort and refinement levels, and enjoys some tech the Focus does not. Also, the Golf R has considerably more power potential with the factory driveline. My understanding is the Focus RS is very close to the max power level the drivetrain components can cope with.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    35 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    What did they compromise for regular track use?

    The size of half shafts. The RDU (Rear Drive Unit) that not only isn't even a real diff, but quickly overheats and essentially renders the car FWD. The size of the drive shaft. Break cooling. The front shock tower assembly/design. Enough to put a dent in the hype train and bring the car back down to the reality of what it is- a performance hatchback. Not some factory-offered track weapon or rally car for the street.

    I'm not trying to knock it, but far too often the zeal and giddiness of fanboys and auto journalists paint a different image from what a car really is.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

    The size of half shafts. The RDU (Rear Drive Unit) that not only isn't even a real diff, but quickly overheats and essentially renders the car FWD. The size of the drive shaft. Break cooling. The front shock tower assembly/design. Enough to put a dent in the hype train and bring the car back down to the reality of what it is- a performance hatchback. Not some factory-offered track weapon or rally car for the street.

    I'm not trying to knock it, but far too often the zeal and giddiness of fanboys and auto journalists paint a different image from what a car really is.

    Good to know. I wasn't trying to be all "Says who it isn't a track car?!?" I was genuinely curious why you thought that.

    They also don't own the car long term w/ 40k miles where some of those parts will start to give with extended track use.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

     

    The thing about the RS, is that there is a mountain of aftermarket options for drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, interior, etc.….and soon, engine too.  I doubt any car in it's class can come close to the whole package as delivered, as well as next stages.

    Here is a quick look.

    http://www.mountuneusa.com/ford-focus-st-and-rs-performance-parts-s/1814.htm

     

    And honestly, how many are tracking their RS on a regular basis without some additional monies to improve it.

     

    • Upvote 1
    • Downvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    To seriously track a car buy something cheap you can write off.  Older Miata, Mustang, Camaro, RX7, et Al.  Do not track a car you cannot walk away from financially if you ball it up into a little sad of metal.  A Sedan in SCCA now that Tom Sloe list his license, American Iron in NASA, German Touring Car in NASA, spec 944, et Al.

    Google Tom Sloe and loss of SCCA licence if you want to see a truly asshat move on the part of a racing driver.  He has been kicked out of the SCCA and many are hoping he never comes back.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think the real value of the Focus ST and Focus RS is cultural and patriotic though.  I have two sons, aged 18 and 23.  Their friends do not want cars like Mustangs and Camaros, that's for the old guys like me.  After a decade and a half listening to JDM this and JDM that...suddenly two of the really hot cars to own are American Ford motor company products.

    When people say they would rather have a Focus RS than an R32 Skyline, fourth generation Supra, Nismo 370Z, FD RX7, or S2000 that is saying something.

    Also, I like this car for another cultural reason.  It blends the best of Ford Europe and Ford America.  Yes, I know it is mostly a European design, but it is still unmistakeable in its American nature.  Kind of like having the best of an 1970s Ford Capri and the best of a vintage 1965-1973 Mustang in the same car.

    • Upvote 3

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

     

    The thing about the RS, is that there is a mountain of aftermarket options for drivetrain, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, interior, etc.….and soon, engine too.  I doubt any car in it's class can come close to the whole package as delivered, as well as next stages.

    Here is a quick look.

    http://www.mountuneusa.com/ford-focus-st-and-rs-performance-parts-s/1814.htm

     

    And honestly, how many are tracking their RS on a regular basis without some additional monies to improve it.

     

    Having the all wheel drive architecture and the proper suspension tuning makes this an excellent starting point.  The RX8 was a pretty good track car right out of the box, methinks the RS will be just as fine or better.

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.