November 19th, 2013
Managing Editor - CheersandGears.com
Nissan has unveiled an updated GT-R for the 2015 model year while also adding a race inspired NISMO version.
Visually, the 2015 GT-R exterior differs little from the 2014 model with changes limited to new exterior lighting. Nissan added multi-LED headlights with a new Adaptive Front Lighting System feature that automatically adjusts the angle of the headlight beam as the speed of the car changes, sending the headlight beam further at highway speeds and closer in suburban driving. included in the headlight is a "lightning" LED light pipe design. Tail lights are 4 rings of LEDs. In the interior, there is a new pail ivory trim option and all trims now have accent stitching.
Most of of the updates to the GT-R fall under the mechanical heading. The electronically controlled suspension has been has been refined for both better stability and better ride. Braking calibration is changed for better everyday driving and steering effort has been reduced at low speeds while keeping the heavier feedback during more spirited driving.
2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO
Claimed to be the fastest GT-R ever, the NISMO with track options holds the current production car lap record on the Nürburgring.
With new larger turbo-chargers, upgraded fuel pump and ignition control, the 3.8 liter twin-turbo V6 is now rated at 600 horsepower and 481 lb-ft of torque. This compliments suspension improvements that include custom Bilstein 3-mode dampers at all four corners, exclusive new Dunlop tires, and new hollow rear anti-roll bar to raise roll stiffness while reducing weight.
Externally, the redesigned front bumper, engine undercover, and carbon fiber rear spoiler work together to increase downforce.
NISMO version of the Nissan GT-R will be available in the U.S. around mid-year 2014.
Press releases on page 2 and 3
2015 Nissan GT-R Overview
Outstanding performance meets a new level of sophistication
With outstanding adhesion from its tires, the GT-R is capable of stunning confident acceleration and braking performance
- The suspension was fine-tuned to reduced load fluctuation between the four wheels, giving better stability and more consistent grip.
- More constant tire contact is achieved by optimized electronic control of the shock-absorber valves, as well as modified front stabilizer spring rates and updated bush link. The tuning of these parts, which makes best use of the suspension strokes and enhances road-holding capability, gives a poised, confident ride and outstanding traction on rough roads.
- With minute vibrations and road noise reduced, a relaxing, comfortable ride is assured. An additional benefit is improved straight-line stability, with fewer small steering corrections needed to maintain the correct trajectory during highway driving.
- The upgraded GT-R is now fitted as standard with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT tires, for outstanding road-holding and precise response in all conditions thanks to stiffer sidewalls which reduce deformation, improving steering response under hard cornering. At the front, their specification is: 255/40ZRF20(97Y) and at the rear: 285/35ZRF20(100Y)
- The braking calibration has been retuned for a more firm, linear response at everyday speeds, making smooth braking more intuitive, generating greater confidence, particularly in wet conditions.
- The GT-R’s steering has been fine-tuned to reduce the effort required for in-town maneuvers, while maintaining its exceptional feedback during high-speed driving. The combination of retuned suspension and exceptional steering feel give outstanding confidence at high speed.
Dazzling motion when standing still
The 2015 Nissan GT-R maintains its position as one of the most striking supercars in the market. Significant updates to the Nissan GT-R’s lights both enhance the visual impact of the car. Customers looking for added visual impact now have a wider color palette to choose from.
- The 2015 Nissan GT-R sports new efficient, high-intensity, multi-LED headlights that create a distinctive “lightning” motif, generating a striking exterior visual signature. With such a unique visual reference, the GT-R’s road presence is enhanced, particularly in low light and at night – while the fitment of the new headlights gives the driver increased visibility.
- The new headlights feature AFS (Adaptive Front lighting System*) that automatically adapts the angle of the light beam according to the speed of the car. At highway speeds, actuators in the headlight unit adjust the angle of the projectors to project the light further. The four LED units are configured with new intensive LED high beam and three different LED low beams including long-distance-illumination and wide-illumination.
- At the rear, the GT-R’s distinctive four-ring tail light signature now forms coherent circles of illumination, giving the GT-R an equally distinctive appearance, making it easily recognizable to fellow owners and enthusiasts.
- Upon start up, the full new lighting signature is illuminated, creating a dramatic start-up procedure.
- Visual appeal is reinforced with the addition of a new body color called Gold Flake Red Pearl. As its name suggests, there are microscopic gold-tinted glass flakes infused into the red paint, creating a spectacular effect in the deep, lustrous paint as the light catches the finish.
Upscale cabin appointments
- Choice of three interior color schemes includes a new pale ivory trim option.
- The steering wheel is trimmed in leather, for premium tactility, while the part-aniline leather seats are further embellished with stitched accents, giving the ambience of a genuine GT designed for cross-continental, first-class travel.
Advanced body construction
- To achieve the project’s ambitious targets for high-speed handling and ride comfort, Nissan enhanced the level of precision-constructed body elements and advanced assembly methods to create the 2015 Nissan GT-R.
- Each part is made of materials selected for optimum performance: Precision-constructed, multi-material hybrid body combines steel, carbon fiber and die-cast aluminum to achieve high stiffness and light weight.
- Thanks to the rigidity of the GT-R’s body construction, suspension precision is guaranteed while refinement is enhanced, resulting in exceptional cabin refinement even at high speeds and under hard cornering.
- Thanks to optimized insulation and acoustic tuning, even at high speeds, the occupants are able to enjoy the sporty engine sound.
- An optional carbon rear wing is offered, which is attached to a carbon trunk lid, giving a weight saving of half compared with the standard trunk lid.
*Adaptive Front lighting System is unavailable in some regions.
– Nissan GT-R NISMO Joins 2015 Nissan GT-R –
- World premiere of race-inspired version of Nissan’s legendary GT-R
- 600hp (447kw) for blistering performance
- Advanced aerodynamics generating additional 100kg of downforce at 300km/h (186mph) for exceptional road-holding
YOKOHAMA, Japan – Records fall and dreams come true with the debut of the Nissan GT-R NISMO. This race-oriented model delivers “factory tuned” supercar dynamics with revolutionary enhanced aerodynamics and ultra-precise handling. The Nissan GT-R is already established as one of the best performing supercars in the automotive sphere, and now Nissan has drawn on decades of racing experience gathered by NISMO, the brand’s motorsport specialists, to develop the ultimate Nissan GT-R.
The Nissan GT-R NISMO features exclusive styling that embraces the longstanding racing philosophy of form following function. It has numerous motorsports-inspired technologies to enhance the car’s performance through optimized aerodynamics, suspension and powertrain, creating a well-balanced machine that is at home on both the road and track.
The Nissan GT-R NISMO will be available in Japan in late February 2014, U.S. and Europe later in 2014.
Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn says this is the fastest Nissan GT-R ever. "With a 7:08.679 lap time, we can authoritatively say that the Nissan GT-R NISMO* holds the volume production car lap record at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, which is the gold standard of high performance achievement."
Nissan GT-R NISMO Overview - Flagship of the NISMO lineup
1. Mechanical Features
Nissan GT-R NISMO employs innovation, uncompromising engineering and motorsports-inspired technologies to achieve new levels of power, speed and handling.
- Under the hood, the 3.8-liter V6 VR38DETT engine benefits from the know-how that NISMO has gained from participating in such events as the world-renowned Nürburgring 24 hour race. Engine power has risen and is now rated at 600hp (447kw) and 481 lb ft (652 Nm) of torque.
- New high-flow, large diameter turbochargers, which are used for GT3 racing, improve breathing, while optimized individual ignition timing control for each cylinder and upgraded fuel pump improve combustion.
- The suspension set-up is inspired by that of the NISMO racing GT-R and tuned for stunning agility, road-holding and handling finesse, without compromising refinement.
- The springs and custom-developed Bilstein DampTronic dampers in the front and rear suspension are specially tuned to deliver exceptional grip levels and progressive handling response at the limit. Three suspension modes can be selected: Comfort, Normal and R, for circuit applications.
- Exclusive NISMO tires – developed by Dunlop – exhibit outstanding grip and handling characteristics. Front: 255/40 ZRF20; rear 285/35 ZRF20.
- Specially developed links fitted to the front double wishbone suspension increase castor trail to optimize wheel position during high-G cornering and improve straight-line and cornering stability. Additionally, large high-rigidity bolts are used to increase stiffness of the wheel-hub attachment area.
- To minimize body-roll during cornering and changes of direction, the Nissan GT-R NISMO features a 17.3 mm hollow rear anti-roll bar, which raises roll stiffness while reducing weight.
- Increased rigidity in the body shell is achieved using adhesive bonding in addition to spot welding leading to precise suspension response under extreme load, the NISMO “factory tuned” enhancement.
2. Exterior design – Exclusive styling with improved aerodynamics
- Using the latest Computational Fluid Dynamic simulation techniques to analyze airflow, NISMO has developed an aero package that improves road-holding, minimizes the negative impact of drag, while giving the car a menacing and muscular appearance.
- Together, the front bumper, engine undercover strake and carbon rear spoiler increase downforce, lowering the center of gravity and generating an additional 100kg (at 300km/h) compared to the freshly updated 2014 GT-R model. The car’s aerodynamic characteristics are tuned to ensure the downforce is equally spread front to rear at all speeds for progressive handling characteristics. A widened front bumper configuration and elongated yet tapered rear bumper design keep the drag to Cd 0.26, same with that of 2014 Nissan GT-R.
- The Nissan GT-R NISMO will be available in five body colors: Brilliant White Pearl, Meteor Flake Pearl Black, Ultimate Metallic Silver and Vibrant Red. And unique to the GT-R NISMO model, a Dark Matte Grey accentuates the car’s imposing exterior muscularity.
- The GT-R NISMO’s black 6-spoke wheels are inspired by Nissan’s legendary GT500 race car.
- The Nissan GT-R NISMO cockpit inspires driver confidence through both its craftsmanship and optimized driving position.
- Ergonomically sculpted carbon-fiber-backed reclining RECARO® seats (Europe/Japan) comfortably, yet firmly, support the driver and front-seat passenger.
- NISMO racers influenced the design of the steering wheel which is dressed in Alcantara®, with three spokes, red center mark and red stitching to give the best combination of grip, feedback and comfort.
- The combi meter has carbon-like finish, and tachometer features a red design. The meter hood is also dressed with Alcantara®.
- Interior trim features include discreet red stitching on the seats, center console, door trim and steering wheel.
- NISMO, a short form of "Nissan Motorsports," is the performance brand for Nissan, and is one of the company's purveyors of “innovation that excites.”
- NISMO offers products featuring innovative technology and high performance to a wide range of customers for street use. NISMO cars provide an exciting driving experience with motorsports-inspired aerodynamics and styling, enhanced handling characteristics and unmatched agility.
- In the motorsports world, NISMO competes in the highest forms of GT and sports car racing, such as Japan's Super GT Series and the World Endurance Championships (WEC), as well as providing engines to teams that compete in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the European Le Mans Series (ELMS). The Nissan GT-R captured the Super GT championship in 2011 and 2012.
* Nissan GT-R NISMO with track options
* Autech Japan is responsible for the planning and production of Nissan GT-R NISMO, which requires vehicle registration in person.