Cranked Car Windows are going, going...

The one possibility is, if the crank window retains the large steel spring to help raise/lower the window and the PW version has none & a mostly plastic motor.

167383[/snapback]

Exactly why I'm all set having some POS $h! like that break about

three weks after the warranty is up. The power window motors I've

held in my hand weigh like 3-6 LBS. and there's still reglators there

so I'm STILL not understanding how they could be lighter.

NOS:

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/dechrist.jpg

I had no front bumper on the Camaro and if I ever get a Datsun 510

for SCCA duty & cruise nights I will remove front & rears but keep it

semi-street legal. As a matter of fact I've been thinking that once I

make the Datsun a back-up vehicle I might unbolt the front & rear

bumpers off of it... Sofia would never ride in that thing again after

that though... that car NEEDS them in a severe collision.

Seriously, if its about weight savings, a total of 24lbs in a car that's never going to see the racetrack is pretty ridiculous.

167445[/snapback]

Yes, it's inconsequential..some people on here just love to argue about pointless things...

This is why I live in the USA and not the Middle East or Red China. :mellow:

167414[/snapback]

Good, then go to your local Kmart and order a Big Mac with a side of onion rings. :AH-HA_wink:

I mean, hey, they should give you the choice if that's what you want, right?

Edited by NOS2006

Exactly why I'm all set having some POS $h! like that break about

three weks after the warranty is up. The power window motors I've

held in my hand weigh like 3-6 LBS. and there's still reglators there

so I'm STILL not understanding how they could be lighter.

NOS:

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/dechrist.jpg

I had no front bumper on the Camaro and if I ever get a Datsun 510

for SCCA duty & cruise nights I will remove front & rears but keep it

semi-street legal. As a matter of fact I've been thinking that once I

make the Datsun a back-up vehicle I might unbolt the front & rear

bumpers off of it... Sofia would never ride in that thing again after

that though... that car NEEDS them in a severe collision.

167422[/snapback]

Why not actually inspect a vehicle built in this century?

I agree with Sixty8 in that I would prefer more choices as far as options are concerned: unbundle everything and let me choose. It's my damned money.

Limitations and mandates doesn't come off as very user-friendly (tho it does seem thoroughly 'modern').

167695[/snapback]

Choices can add complexity to the plant, complexity can equal cost to the whole chain from engineering, to manufacturing to selling and stocking!

Choices can add complexity to the plant, complexity can equal cost to the whole chain from engineering, to manufacturing to selling and stocking!

167822[/snapback]

Exactly. As your preferences grow farther and farther apart for what the rest of the market wants, the cost to manufacture a car to your specs becomes higher. You can certainly could've gotten a well well-crafted K-body Eldorado, but it would cost you nearly twice as much as a 1970s Eldorado convertible because the demand isn't there, so you have to purachse it as a specialty.

Yes, it's inconsequential..some people on here just love to argue about pointless things...

167495[/snapback]

When you are designing a new car, these are not "pointless" things.

Every little detail and every little penny spent is evaluated to the hilt.

The complexity in the decision-making on where to spend money on a car and what features to include would amaze you.

When you are designing a new car, these are not "pointless" things.

Every little detail and every little penny spent is evaluated to the hilt.

The complexity in the decision-making on where to spend money on a car and what features to include would amaze you.

167897[/snapback]

I think Moltar is speaking more to this apparent concern some have expressed about weight savings by choosing manual vs. powered windows in a modern car as if a difference of 30lbs either way would make a significant difference in the handling and drivability of a modern non-racing road car. Pardon the bluntness, but downing a box of ExLax and a quart of prune juice every day for a solid week would probably allow you to crap out two or three power windows.

I think Moltar is speaking more to this apparent concern some have expressed about weight savings by choosing manual vs. powered windows in a modern car as if a difference of 30lbs either way would make a significant difference in the handling and drivability of a modern non-racing road car. Pardon the bluntness, but downing a box of ExLax and a quart of prune juice every day for a solid week would probably allow you to crap out two or three power windows.

167908[/snapback]

Exactly..the point I was making was about wieght...go on a diet if you want to take off 30 lbs (which I what I'm working on taking off now..)

All I know is manual rolling windows are a royal pain in the ass. I hope they disappear forever. Having them is like having hard plastics. Cheapens the feel of the car and is certainly annoying. Especially having to reach over to the other side to roll down the passenger window... then getting out and into the back in the case of a sedan. Utter nonsense and waste of time. Anyone actually preferring them must be a huge close minded waste of a body.

All I know is manual rolling windows are a royal pain in the ass. I hope they disappear forever. Having them is like having hard plastics. Cheapens the feel of the car and is certainly annoying. Especially having to reach over to the other side to roll down the passenger window... then getting out and into the back in the case of a sedan. Utter nonsense and waste of time.

168026[/snapback]

Agreed...especially when you're driving an Express cargo van at 70 mph on one of the busiest roads in the region and it starts pouring down rain. It's a stretch to reach the radio dials in one, let alone the passenger-side window crank.