2007 GMC Acadia - Overview

Dayum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is the first reaction I had when I saw this. With all my clamoring over the Enclave, I never payed attention to this car. It looks great. As for those making comparos between this and its sibling mates, I must say that I see the differences too and you know what? I like them. It contributes to each having its own unique character and should establish a unique customer base for the three brands.

To me though, the biggest difference is the interior. This one has a wonderful overload of redish-orange which contrasts nicely with the black and all contribute to a wonderful cabin experience. The Enclave's interior, however, had tan leather that was perfectly blended with black and adorned with rich looking gray/chrome accents throughout. I think GM plans to go after techies and those who love gadgetry with the GMC and the interior is reflective of that. It also appears GM wanted to appeal to an upscale crowd w/enclave so its rich interior w/the console thing that goes throught the cabin and 'personalized' seating bode well for that group as well.

All in all I am encouraged. I think GM is going to kick-ass within the cross over segment and these will do well against their asian and german counterparts.

Way to go GMC and GM :pbjtime:

Can someone please explain why this thing negates the need for a minivan in the lineup?

If people would remember, Ford released a very similar vehicle in the Freestyle - a crossover vehicle that could seat 7, with all the benefits of a minivan. They sell only about 6 thousand a month.

Why should these vehicles do better? I have three kids, and the power sliding door in our Montana is incredibly convenient, and we wonder what we did without it. It's roomy, economical, and fulfils family needs that only a minivan can.

Edited by PeterPuck

• 2 months later...

Yeah, but who's to say that Ford did the Freestyle correctly?

167802[/snapback]

The problem is that it's more of a Style-Free than a Freestyle. It also only tows 2500lbs. max, and people were scared that it wouldn't have any power because of the 203hp rating. The CVT gives it more oomph, but I think people questioned that too.

The new 3-row crossover coming out in 2008 should have more style and power. Ford and GM really need these new crossovers to work.

Great looking vehicle, as are both siblings. :)

I don't think this negates a need for a minivan in GM's stable - some people will want the sliding door, as PeterPuck mentioned. I do think this means that GM can/should keep the minivan count down to 1-2 models, probably one as a chevy, the other as... IDK. NOT Pontiac (except in Canada, perhaps), not Caddy, probably not GMC. I could see Saturn, maybe Buick.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I just got back from the San Antonio Auto Show where we were able to see the Outlook and Acadia. Unfortunately the Outlook was up on a stand where you weren't able to get inside. The Acadia on the other hand was on the floor and being crawled in and all over by tons of interested people. After a long wait - here are my 1st hand Lambda impressions:

- It is huge. Definitely as big on the outside as a minivan. Obviously this is why it has class leading third row space and storage capacity.

- The interior is great - however I was a bit disappointed that the dash is primarily hard plastic. My 2004 Mazda6s has a nicer feeling dash than the Acadia. However - while it was hard plastic - it was similar to that in the Tahoe and Silverado - it was low gloss and of high quality.

- The switch gear inside felt solid and everything worked very smoothly. The ergonomics were 1st class. The Center Console was incredible to look at - the floor model has the navigation (which is how we will order ours) and looked very rich and high tech.

- True to their word the third row is adult sized. I am 5'11" about 200 lbs and adjusted the front seat for my size and then climbed in the middle and third row - all were roomy. The 1st and 2nd row were very comfortable and the 3rd row was acceptable. I wouldn't want to ride to Dallas back there - but I could say the same thing for my parents Chrysler T&C or my in-laws Odyssey.

- Slide and glide seats worked well to provide access to the third row.

- The doors had a nice "thunk" when closed - which is good considering the vehicle in question was probably a pre-production model.

All in all everything felt very high quality and very well put together - with the exception of one minor detail. The plastic (metallic) trim around the center console sliding door felt cheap and wasn't well attached. Believe me - I spent at least a half an hour (in two sessions - I had to go back again before we left) going over every square inch of the Acadia. That was the only thing I found fault with. Not bad considering it is a pre-production vehicle.

Unfortunately the Enclave concept car was not there. A shame because the Buick area didn't have a soul around save for a couple in their 50's looking at the Lucerne. They could have used the excitement of the Enclave Concept to spark some interest in the brand.

After much looking my wife came down pretty hard that she didn't want wood trim in her next vehicle - so the Acadia will be it. She was pretty excited and we can't wait to testdrive one to confirm the choice.

It is one of the best CUVs on the market - GM definitely has a hit on their hands.

• 3 weeks later...

I caught one today on the 401 in Oshawa as I was going to school to register for my courses. Then I took a stroll to the GM lot at the plant. There were a few standing next to the Outlooks. I don't like the styling of the Outlook, but I gotta admit, this is the first Lutzified vehicle (the Acadia) that I think looks nice, especially in person and on the road. $h!, too bad I didn't have my camera. I caught one snapshot on my cellie cam on the highway.

Edited by Polish_Kris

:censored:

- The interior is great - however I was a bit disappointed that the dash is primarily hard plastic.

217347[/snapback]

This is a problem that GM refuses to fix, for some strange reason. It frustrates me everytime I sit in a Lutzified GM and find the tacky, hollow, hard-plastic dashboards.

:censored: