Asking again...how long will the 3800 V6

THis 60* 3900's idle is no smoother than the 90* 38's I have run. In fact I think its ruffer. Also while it seems faster than a NA 38, I feel for conventional driving the low grunt of the 38's is more usuable. The 3900 certainly holds no candle to the SC3800 but it does not require the 92+ octane fuel to be happy. The G6 GT coupe we tested with the 3.5 left me totally unimpressed with the engine.......by 3800 standards.

Why keep fighting this unnatural balance of the V6 ? With DOD you would have a V6 in unstrained driving conditions anyhow  combined with the benefits of the smoothness of the V8.

Im serious !

168516[/snapback]

I like the idea on the upper end models something like a LaCross Super.

The HF series of V6 engines from GM are very smooth. The 3.6 in my CTS is very satisfying all over it's powerband. It runs just fine on the recommended 87 octane. In direct injection form, the power/efficiancy should only increase.

That said, I really would like a AFM 5.3 putting out around 330hp in the CTS. I think that <with the new interior/exterior> would allow the CTS to take on the 5-series at all levels. Imagine, the CTS being available with a 2.8 <528>, 3.6 <530>, 5.3 <545>, and 6.0 <M5>. Naturally it will automatically suck because the upper engines have pushrods.

I like the idea on the upper end models something like a LaCross Super.

The HF series of V6 engines from GM are very smooth. The 3.6 in my CTS is very satisfying all over it's powerband. It runs just fine on the recommended 87 octane. In direct injection form, the power/efficiancy should only increase.

That said, I really would like a AFM 5.3 putting out around 330hp in the CTS. I think that <with the new interior/exterior> would allow the CTS to take on the 5-series at all levels.  Imagine, the CTS being available with a 2.8 <528>, 3.6 <530>, 5.3 <545>, and 6.0 <M5>.  Naturally it will automatically suck because the upper engines have pushrods.

169150[/snapback]

Naturally :rolleyes: thing is while BMW is not doing poorly on the various race venues they are involved in they are not proving any form of superiority either............even against GM and especially against any LS series engines. Thats what it is and it is what it is. :P

I do agree that the 3.6 in the Lacrosse CXS we tested was a very smooth engine. I just think the small V8 would be a great sales maker if it made the grade. I would rather drive a 3.5 V8 as opposed to a 3.5 V6, with all else equal. V8 configuration is just a much happier engine.

• 2 weeks later...

I would expect the 3800 to remain the base engine in MY 2008 Lucerne, LaCrosse and Grand Prix. After that any remaining vehicles that used this engine will get stock piled 3800's for a brief hiatus until the new Zetas come online as early 2010 models. I would put money on this! The plant that makes the 3800's will cease sometime during 2008 which means that it would easy for GM to stockpile a certain number of these engines for 2009 models until 2010's arrive in early 2009. It's anybodys guess what will happen after this point.

168489[/snapback]

Then, QUICK Yes or No:

Will I be able to get both a mildly enhanced 2008 Buick La Crosse (which they will start producing in summer 2007) with a 3800 Series III V-6?

Then, QUICK Yes or No:

Will I be able to get both a mildly enhanced 2008 Buick La Crosse (which they will start producing in summer 2007) with a 3800 Series III V-6?

173496[/snapback]

That sounds like a yes.