An easy one

Who and what was there copmany called that produced Americas first steerable All wheel drive car/truck. And what was the car/truck's nick name?

Guest YellowJacket894

It's was a truck...made around...I want to say...1914. I know "Carry-All" was part of the name.

Damn...I think I know the answer, I just can't think of the name.

Aren't ALL AWD trucks steerable? :P

"I love my BMW X5 but I just wish I could

make a right hand turn once in a while"

Did you mean AWD with 4-wheel steering as in Delphi's Quadrasteer?

No not quadrasteer. Since the first awd carage couldnt turn the front end had to be lifted and move to change direction. there is a reason I used All Wheel Drive in stead of the other one with a four. *Hint*

I am forced to resort to books on this one.

The Four Wheel Drive Wagon Company of Rockford IL built a few steam-powered 4-wheel drive, 4-wheel steering cars before the company head sold out in 1903. The patent rights continued under new ownership and more 4-WD/4-WS trucks were built thru '07, when the effort went bankrupt.

There is no relation to the later 'FWD" Company of WI.

i have seen it on alot of sites and it was on the history channel the other day about 4x4's

Edited by capriceman

But i got

1909 - William A. Besserdich and his brother-in-law, Otto Zachow, were young blacksmiths in Clintonville, Wisconsin, when they built America's first successful four-wheel-drive motor car. Their "Badger Four Wheel Drive Auto Company" was formed on January 9th; later the "Badger" and "Auto" dropped from the title.

It was called the "battleship" they sold only 7 until the military started gearing up for WWI. then the dodge or what ever got the contract if i remeber coreectly.

No not quadrasteer. Since the first awd carage couldnt turn the front end had to be lifted and move to change direction. there is a reason I used All Wheel Drive in stead of the other one with a four. *Hint*

169985[/snapback]

but ALL WHEEL DRIVE refers to on road 4x4 100% time... not ALL WHEEL STEERING... my dad had an all wheel steering car, it was french i think... it was like a 60's car... but thats not american

but ALL WHEEL DRIVE refers to on road 4x4 100% time... not ALL WHEEL STEERING... my dad had an all wheel steering car, it was french i think... it was like a 60's car... but thats not american

170213[/snapback]

it has nothing to do with all wheel steering

the reason i used AWD because it was full time 4x4.

the Four was a hint since the name of the company is the Four Wheel Drive Company.

But it might look as if im worng accordingy to balt. And then i would apoligize to everyone for False trivia and have to sue the history channel for being wrong.

There were so many thousands of auto efforts in the dawn of the industry, you can almost guarantee that any 'news' source (publication/TV/internet) touting an early 'first' is wrong. Or at least there's some convoluted criteria which would render their answer 'right'. Like: >>"...first successful four-wheel-drive motor car..."<<... what, because FWD was still building trucks at least as late as '95, that 'success' has any bearing whatsoever on the fact they built an early 4WD truck?? It doesn't. "First" is the focus and the significance here, 'successful' is an entirely different discussion. But 'successful' allows them to find an answer, qualify it, and be 'right'.

I call it laziness.