Intermittant Stalling

NDL

We have a 1995 Buick Century with the 3100 V6 (160k), which recently developed a stalling problem.

The problem happens when the engine is warm (although I don't know if engine temp has anything to do with it). Irrespective of engine or vehicle speed, the motor simply cuts out. No warning. No hesitation. No stumbling.

And then it takes two or three attempts to restart the vehicle, after which, the engine performs flawlessly.

There are no codes in the computer, and my mechanic can't find anything.

I'm baffled...

I'll be away from my PC for most of the weekend, but appreciate any suggestions made in my absence.

Thanks for your help!

bad ground somewhere?

172863[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I was actually thinking that very thing, but if it were a grounding problem, why would everything else work perfectly?

You know what's weird? The very first day mom and dad got that car, and I took it for a little test drive, it stalled.

All I did was leave the neighborhood onto the service road, make a left onto Robbin's Lane and head back on the service road and a left onto South Oyster Bay Road... in the middle of the turn onto SOB Rd., it stalled... which was ever so nice to figure out as I tried to steer the car with no power steering and get it across the intersection before the light turned red. Absolutely no reason for doing it--but it stalled.

You know what's weird?  The very first day mom and dad got that car, and I took it for a little test drive, it stalled.

No, what's weird is not that the car stalled. It's that they let anyone drive their new car - on the very first day that they got it!

Thanks for the enjoyable and amusing story (something for which you're famous)...I hope to get down to the bottom of this soon, and I hope it won't cost me an arm-and-a-leg.

I'm actually wondering if it's the EGR...Keep cleaning the EGR out, although for the past month or two, it hasn't been setting off trouble codes.

No, what's weird is not that the car stalled.  It's that they let anyone drive their new car - on the very first day that they got it!

173311[/snapback]

Honestly, that was weird... it always struck me as awkward... not to mention that I got home at 11:30 at night and they said, "Here, try it out." I mean, not to mention they let me take it out on my own, I was young, and at nighttime. Very unlike them.

Honestly, that was weird... it always struck me as awkward... not to mention that I got home at 11:30 at night and they said, "Here, try it out."  I mean, not to mention they let me take it out on my own, I was young, and at nighttime.  Very unlike them.

173318[/snapback]

Especially the fact that they didn't accompany you :)!

BTW: It's the fuel pump.

Especially the fact that they didn't accompany you :)!

BTW:  It's the fuel pump.

173981[/snapback]

That was replaced in 1998. I know this because I was with my Sundance, and rather than take that piece of $h! out to Staten Island, dad gave me the Century. I took it and then at 3AM just leaving Brian's house, I was at a red light, and when it turned green, the car never moved. Had it towed to J&M. It was the fuel pump.