2008 Saturn Vue Red Line

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Gener...icleId=116419#2

Euro shape and Red Line power on tap for 2008 Saturn Vue

By Ed Hellwig Email | Blog

Date posted: 08-07-2006

In our latest footage from Death Valley, we catch the 2008 Saturn Vue in action as it prepares for its official launch next year. And for the first time, we also get a glimpse of what looks like the high-performance Vue Red Line.

Wearing a deep front airdam, projector beam foglights, and larger wheels and tires, the Vue Red Line will be the closest Saturn gets to the aggressive look of the Open Antera GTC concept on which the Vue is based. Unlike the concept, these 2008 Saturn Vue prototypes use a four-door configuration to keep them practical while still incorporating some of the Antera's less dramatic styling cues. The windshields are more upright for better visibility although the shape of the A-pillars is still very similar to the GTC. All the numerous vents and portholes used on the show vehicle are gone, however, so the Saturn version will have more conventional styling up front.

Earlier spy photos revealed a grille with at least some of the details shown on the Opel concept. These prototypes are similar with two horizontal slats sitting just below a spot for the emblem in the center. The complex headlight cluster isn't quite as detailed as the LED units on the concept, another predictable cost-cutting move on the way to production.

Saturn downsized this generation of the Vue in anticipation of the larger 2007 Saturn Outlook coming this fall. Unlike the current model that straddles the compact and midsize SUV designations, the 2008 Saturn Vue will be planted firmly in the compact category. This means a four-cylinder engine for base models and a larger V6 on the upper trim levels.

Current models use a Honda-built 3.5-liter V6 with 250 horsepower, but expect to see a version of GM's 3.6-liter V6 under the hood of these Saturns. That engine delivers a healthy 265 hp in the Outlook, but it may get detuned for use in the standard Vue to keep the models from competing with each other.

The earliest you're likely to see the finished version of the 2008 Saturn Vue is in November at the Los Angeles auto show

(InsideLine)

Ugh! They messed up the interior! Why did they have to change it and add that damn corporate radio. I guess they're not importing this one from Korea like Opel so that means they can dumb it down. I have a bad feeling about the next Astra. Hopefully, since they're importing it from Belgium, it will no doubt be exactly the same. *Crosses fingers*

In all fairness, it looks to have a higher quality and most of the interior is the same. But that radio just ruins it for me. I used to love it, but when it's featured in just about all new GM vehicles, I can't stand it.

Edited by Cadillacfan

after reading the article again, I'm surprised they made the new Vue smaller. I've driven one several times and I think it's a pretty small SUV. Smaller then some of the other SUVs in the same class. Question: Isn't the new Honda CRV shrinking(though, ever so slightly) in size too? If so, it's obvious that GM is lining up Saturn to compete directly with the Honda brand. Very interesting.

after reading the article again,  I'm surprised they made the new Vue smaller.  I've driven one several times and I think it's a pretty small SUV.  Smaller then some of the other SUVs in the same class.  Question:  Isn't the new Honda CRV shrinking(though, ever so slightly) in size too?  If so, it's obvious that GM is lining up Saturn to compete directly with the Honda brand.  Very interesting.

177595[/snapback]

I can't imagine it being smaller. It still on a ~106" wheelbase, like the Antara and Captiva.

I think edmunds is full of crap. Just like the line about there being "no vents".

Ugh!  They messed up the interior!  Why did they have to change it and add that damn corporate radio.  I guess they're not importing this one from Korea like Opel so that means they can dumb it down.  I have a bad feeling about the next Astra.  Hopefully, since they're importing it from Belgium, it will no doubt be exactly the same.  *Crosses fingers*

In all fairness, it looks to have a higher quality and most of the interior is the same.  But that radio just ruins it for me.  I used to love it, but when it's featured in just about all new GM vehicles, I can't stand it.

177559[/snapback]

Well I think the navigation screen is a BIT more useable now, besides since GM US uses a touch screen nav now, how could the people reach it in the Opel version?

One more thing. I love how Edmunds bashes the car just from the spyshots.

Gotta love them.

Quote under interior shot:

Interior trim is about what you would expect in a Saturn. The radio is GM's corporate unit while the gauges look as though they got some original styling.

This article makes a reader less impressed/interested in the forthcoming VUE! And honestly, I want to see it but judging by the not-that-bold Antara, I'm not totally thrilled with the always-been-a-compact VUE.

One thing that stood out a bit to me - it's getting a little smaller. That's rather unusual - so often vehicles increase just a bit in size with each redesign. Glad to see they're staying true to it being a small SUV. Last thing it needs to do is bloat. It's already impressivly efficient for an SUV, maybe it'll even get a little better?

One more thing.  I love how Edmunds bashes the car just from the spyshots.

Gotta love them.

177877[/snapback]

That quote pretty much sums up my feelings.

Based on this one spy shot, I like the current VUE interior better. However, the exterior is going to be much better, more contemporary and distinctive. The rear end gives off a Caliber vibe, though, but those tailpipes look hot.

Guest YellowJacket894

I don't mind having the corporate stereo unit in there. Looks okay, if you ask me.

I feel like correcting them about some info, though.

Ugh!  They messed up the interior!  Why did they have to change it and add that damn corporate radio.  I guess they're not importing this one from Korea like Opel so that means they can dumb it down.  I have a bad feeling about the next Astra.  Hopefully, since they're importing it from Belgium, it will no doubt be exactly the same.  *Crosses fingers*

In all fairness, it looks to have a higher quality and most of the interior is the same.  But that radio just ruins it for me.  I used to love it, but when it's featured in just about all new GM vehicles, I can't stand it.

177559[/snapback]

I've rented a couple of units with the radio in them, and from my perspecive it is a very fine instrument- great reception, vg sound, analogue tuning or electronic tuning, easily adjustable sound settings, cool pushbuttons, easy controls to use. Whats not to like. Just because it is the standard issue radio does not mean it is not good, it just means they have raised the level off the base radio to a higher plateau across the board. Good for GM.

I've rented a couple of units with the radio in them, and from my perspecive it is a very fine instrument- great reception, vg sound, analogue tuning or electronic tuning, easily adjustable sound settings, cool pushbuttons, easy controls to use.  Whats not to like.  Just because it is the standard issue radio does not mean it is not good, it just means they have raised the level off the base radio to a higher plateau across the board.  Good for GM.

178501[/snapback]

I agree with you packardlust... I have the new corporate radio in my SKY and I think it's the best radio GM has ever offered. I have the upgraded US9 6-disc CD changer radio with the Monsoon sound system. I have up to 6 pages of 6 FM radio settings to program - that's 36 FM stations!!! Never had other than 2 pages of FM settings avialble. Plus with all of the program features and buttons, I'm glad GM is incorporating this radio throughout it's model lines.